Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

781 - 800 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Results near 64 and Westview in Delta

Just got back from helping my brother cut the cord. Mounted an amplified 50 mile rated omni-directional antenna (Elechomes HG-3925) rooftop about 15 feet above the peak of the roof.

He is near 64 and Westview in Delta.

2-1 CBC
4-1 ABC
4-2 Comet
4-3 Charge
6-1 CHEK
8-1 Global
8-2 Global SD
10-1 CityTV
12-1 KVOS
12-2 Movies
12-3 MeTV
12-4 Decades
17-1 CTV2
24-1 SBN
24-2 JTV
24-3 QVC
24-4 Don't recall :)
26-1 CBC French
28-1 PBS
28-2 NHK
28-3 Also don't recall. LOL!
28-4 Washington state government channel
32-1 CTV
42-1 Omni

We were pleasantly surprised to be able to pull KOMO (ABC) plus its substations from Seattle Washington, about 106 miles away. In addition, the scan would pause on RF 13, 14, 31, 48, and 50 - all Seattle station frequencies. So there is something there which may be obtainable with the right equipment, like a Yagi.

I took a look at TV Fool and the one we got (ABC) does barely show as available to my brothers address, but I would think if we could get that, we should have shot at NBC and CBS as well. There is also PBS, CW and Fox, but they are on VHF-Hi frequencies, so that may put them out of reach.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you have a vhf hi antenna, you stand a good chance of getting Fox, KCPQ. I have an amplified terk silver sensor clone UHF antenna with rabbit ears for VHF, when I pull the rabbit ears out and lay them fairly flat I get Fox. I am in a high rise on a hill though. You would need a better vhf than I do. I get Fox almost all the time, I get KOMO (ABC) most of the time, and only occasionally get KING, KIRO, and KSTW Seattle. The hill I am on is opposite Surrey in Coquitlam. Before that high rise went up in Surrey I use to get KIRO all the time, now it rarely comes in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best Antenna for White Rock Area

Hi,
I made a gray-hoverman antenna a couple years back and get reasonable success. It current is up in my attic. Part of the shortcoming is that I have channels in different directions. I have found a rotation of the antenna that gives me the most stations, however, they are all/most only sitting at 25-50% strength given the compromising I have to do. There are also evidently some further away stations down south that maybe I could get with a better antenna. At any rate, the stations I can currently receive are:

8.1 /8.2
10.1 (can't get with current rotation)
12.1 - 12.4
24.1 - 24.4

Can anyone comment on the best antenna options to consider (eg. the CM4228hd or DB8e or ?) that might give me the best results. I have attached my tvfool report below (I hope). Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

TV Fool

·
Registered
547 Posts
For using just one antenna to pick up channels from two directions I would recommend the Antenna Direct DB8e because you can point the two panels to different locations.
I have the DB8e and get all channels from Mt. Seymour and 6.1 from Victoria plus 28.1-4, 12.1-4, 24.1-4,20.1-5.
My antenna is on the roof so ymmv.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts

Hi,
I made a gray-hoverman antenna a couple years back and get reasonable success.
Hello, jay333; welcome to the forum.

Does your antenna have a reflector?
It current is up in my attic.
The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict.
Part of the shortcoming is that I have channels in different directions.
Yes, that does make reception difficult; the best results are when the antenna is aimed directly at the transmitter.
I have found a rotation of the antenna that gives me the most stations, however, they are all/most only sitting at 25-50% strength given the compromising I have to do.
A compromise aim doesn't always work; you might need to do something more.

Are you using a preamp?

There are also evidently some further away stations down south that maybe I could get with a better antenna.
It would be very difficult to receive the Seattle area channels even with an outdoor antenna.
At any rate, the stations I can currently receive are:
2.1 CBUT, real channel 43, Noise Margin 29.5 dB, 346°
8.1 /8.2, CHAN, 22, NM 29.4 dB, 346°
10.1 (can't get with current rotation), CKVU, 33, NM 20.3 dB, 346°
(10.1 is your weakest desired channel, so it is the one most likely to give you a problem)
12.1 - 12.4, KVOS, 35, NM 55.8 dB, 181°
17.1, CIVI, 17, NM 28.1 dB, 345°
24.1 - 24.4, KBCB, 19, NM 52.7 dB, 181°
26.1, CBUFT, 26, NM 26.1 dB, 346°
32.1, CIVT, 32, NM 45.1 dB, 346°
42.1, CHNM, 20, NM 22.7 dB, 346°

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed.

Can anyone comment on the best antenna options to consider (eg. the CM4228hd or DB8e or ?) that might give me the best results. I have attached my tvfool report below (I hope). Thank you so much in advance for any advice.

TV Fool
Your report link works fine.

The 4228HD and the DB8e are good antennas, but they have a beamwidth that is much narrower than the GH antenna. You have signals in opposite directions. You can have one antenna without a reflector that would be bi-directional for the two directions, or you can have two antennas with reflectors, each aimed in one direction.

Best reception results would be with an antenna (with reflector) aimed in each direction, but you would need an A/B switch to select which direction you wanted. You would need to rescan after each change of direction unless your TV can add a channel after scan like a Sony.

Combining two UHF antennas with a splitter in reverse doesn't always work; you just have to try it. This would also be true with an 8-bay antenna that can be aimed in two directions like the DB8e.

An alternative would be to have one antenna connected to the antenna input of the TV, and have the second antenna connected to a separate tuner with its output connected to the AUX input of the TV.

KVOS will be moving from channel 35 to channel 14 because of UHF Repack by the FCC:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=KVOS

KOMO from 38 to 30:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=KOMO

KING from 48 to 25:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=KING

·
Registered
5 Posts
For using just one antenna to pick up channels from two directions I would recommend the Antenna Direct DB8e because you can point the two panels to different locations.
I have the DB8e and get all channels from Mt. Seymour and 6.1 from Victoria plus 28.1-4, 12.1-4, 24.1-4,20.1-5.
My antenna is on the roof so ymmv.
Thanks for the info. So the db8 is essentially 2 antennas that come together via a conjunction box - is that right? I assume then that when you scan stations on your tv it picks up any/all stations it can from either antenna?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply rabbit 73. Sorry I couldn't figure you how to quote your specific questions but I will answer them here...

Yes, I do use a reflector on my gray-hoverman now. Regardless it seems it does pickup from both sides as it is picking up channels (albeit somewhat week) from both directions.

I am not using what you are noting as a preamp. I did, however, place a powered splitter/booster (I can't remember exactly what it was called) in the coax line coming from the antenna. It splits to a few different TV outlets in the house but also is powered and evidently adds some 'boost' of some kind to the signal. Is a preamp something different?

You seem to be saying I would need a switch if I had two antennas (one pointing in each direction). I had thought it might be difficult to combine two different facing antennas into one line that went to the TV's. However, I viewed a youtube just last night by someone who was saying you just use one of those inexpensive coax splitters to bring the signal from 2 antennas to one line. Also, the db8e antenna is essentially 2 antennas with a connection box that joins the two. Are you saying I can't connect from there to my tv line and receive all stations that either antenna picks up? Oh, I think you are saying it doesn't always work but might.

If you were me, which antenna would your try - the db8e?

Or maybe another idea would be to point my homemade GH to the closer stations in one direction and get the 4228hd to point in the other direction - and try joining the two antennas into one signal. Would the 4228 be any more likely to pickup those far away stations than the db8. I guess another option would be to go with the db8 pointing in two directions and ad the GH for a third direction and tie them all together.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I am not using what you are noting as a preamp. I did, however, place a powered splitter/booster (I can't remember exactly what it was called) in the coax line coming from the antenna. It splits to a few different TV outlets in the house but also is powered and evidently adds some 'boost' of some kind to the signal.
That should help.
Is a preamp something different?
Yes, a preamp is a little different than a distribution amp. The preamp is located at the antenna, and its power inserter is located down below. The coax that carries the signals down, also sends the DC power up the preamp. The advantage is that the signals are amplified BEFORE they suffer the signal loss in the coax downlead.

How long is the coax from the antenna to the powered splitter?

You seem to be saying I would need a switch if I had two antennas (one pointing in each direction).
That has the best chance of giving you good reception, but it is more complicated. Anything less would be a compromise.
I had thought it might be difficult to combine two different facing antennas into one line that went to the TV's. However, I viewed a youtube just last night by someone who was saying you just use one of those inexpensive coax splitters to bring the signal from 2 antennas to one line.
Oh, it is very easy to do. All you have to do is use an ordinary 2-way splitter in reverse as a combiner. But, it doesn't always work; you just have to try it because the results are impossible to predict. The reason why it might not work is because when the same signals from each antenna arrive at the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant).

If you don't have all the channels after combining that you had when the antennas were separate, then that method of combining doesn't work for you.
Also, the db8e antenna is essentially 2 antennas with a connection box that joins the two.
Yes, it is two 4-bay antennas and a combiner.
Are you saying I can't connect from there to my tv line and receive all stations that either antenna picks up?
You CAN do it very easily, but the results are difficult to predict. Forum member ADTech, who works for Antennas Direct, says it has the best chance of working if the two directions are at right angles, 90 degrees apart.
Oh, I think you are saying it doesn't always work but might.
Correct
If you were me, which antenna would your try - the db8e?
The DB8e might be difficult to aim in your two directions, 346 and 181 degrees. The 4228HD can not be aimed in two directions.

If you desire a simple solution, I favor trying to improve the approach you are presently using, aim your antenna at the weaker 346 channels and receive the stronger 181 channels from the rear. Maybe a preamp at the antenna would do it better than your present setup.

Another alternative to try would be the GH antenna without a reflector to make it bi-directional and a preamp at the antenna.
Or maybe another idea would be to point my homemade GH to the closer stations in one direction and get the 4228hd to point in the other direction - and try joining the two antennas into one signal.
Try the simple approach before combining.
Would the 4228 be any more likely to pickup those far away stations than the db8.
I think the DB8e would be a little better than the 4228HD for receiving the channels at the low end of UHF because the DB8e is a redesigned original DB8 just for that purpose after UHF was shrunk to 14-51. The UHF channels will be limited to 14-36 because of UHF Repack. Any channel above 37 will have to move down to a lower UHF channel, move down to VHF, or go off the air.

I guess another option would be to go with the db8 pointing in two directions and ad the GH for a third direction and tie them all together.
That is way too involved and has the worst chance of doing what you want.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm in Ladner.
I switched frm a CM 4228 to a DB8e with both halves pointed toward Seattle. It was marginally better.
I get channels 4 and 5 from Seattle. Last year I lost channel 7 and 16, but I have channel 22 back. And of course I get the Bellingham channels. The Canadian channels from Mt. Seymour come in on the back of the antenna (I didn't take any reflectors off. The signal is strong enough through the grid.) And channel 6 from Victoria is strong on the side. I have to rotate to get channel 66, but it is strong.
I use no pre-amp. The splicing the pre=amp into the cable lost more signal and channels than having the antenna go directly to the PVR.

I'm not sure what a Elechomes HG-3925 is. Who recommended that to you? Unless the antenna chart has been updated recentlu, I didn't see it listed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That should help.
How long is the coax from the antenna to the powered splitter?
Oh it is a ways. It comes from the attic and down into the crawl space where the splitter is. I'm guessing maybe 30' or so.

Oh, it is very easy to do. All you have to do is use an ordinary 2-way splitter in reverse as a combiner. But, it doesn't always work; you just have to try it because the results are impossible to predict. The reason why it might not work is because when the same signals from each antenna arrive at the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant).
I guess this is why I saw on the youtube video that the lines coming from each antenna to the combining point should be the same length.

If you desire a simple solution, I favor trying to improve the approach you are presently using, aim your antenna at the weaker 346 channels and receive the stronger 181 channels from the rear. Maybe a preamp at the antenna would do it better than your present setup.
Another alternative to try would be the GH antenna without a reflector to make it bi-directional and a preamp at the antenna.
Try the simple approach before combining.
I guess my current GH (with reflector) is essentially operating as a bi-directional despite having a reflector on it. But on its current orientation it may actually work better without reflector in picking up stations from both sides. I have it oriented right now to give me the max # of stations. I am anxious now to go up there and with my trusty compass app on my phone to confirm the exact direction (in degrees) that the face of the antenna is facing. I guess it will be close to one of the numbers you note (346 or 181). Thanks for all your assistance and great info. Oh, btw, is there a particular preamp that you might recommend for my situation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Ladner.
I switched frm a CM 4228 to a DB8e with both halves pointed toward Seattle. It was marginally better.
I get channels 4 and 5 from Seattle. Last year I lost channel 7 and 16, but I have channel 22 back. And of course I get the Bellingham channels. The Canadian channels from Mt. Seymour come in on the back of the antenna (I didn't take any reflectors off. The signal is strong enough through the grid.) And channel 6 from Victoria is strong on the side. I have to rotate to get channel 66, but it is strong.
I use no pre-amp. The splicing the pre=amp into the cable lost more signal and channels than having the antenna go directly to the PVR.

I'm not sure what a Elechomes HG-3925 is. Who recommended that to you? Unless the antenna chart has been updated recentlu, I didn't see it listed.
Thats great, thanks for the info. If I do go ahead and get an antenna I think I am leaning towards the DB8. May I ask where you purchased yours? I thought maybe would get through Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Oh it is a ways. It comes from the attic and down into the crawl space where the splitter is. I'm guessing maybe 30' or so.
A preamp might help.
I guess this is why I saw on the youtube video that the lines coming from each antenna to the combining point should be the same length.
The two coax lines only need to be the same length when you are using two identical antennas , aimed in the same direction, for increased gain. If the two antennas are aimed in different directions, the line length is irrelevant because the signals will already be out of phase. In theory, it is possible to adjust the line lengths so that just one channel is good, but the other channels will be off; it's like a dog chasing his own tail.
I am anxious now to go up there and with my trusty compass app on my phone to confirm the exact direction (in degrees) that the face of the antenna is facing.
The compass in some phones isn't very accurate; I prefer to use an ordinary pocket compass. You can also use the green signal lines shown on the TVFool Interactive Browser:
TV Fool

For example, a house in your area:

You can move the marker by drag and drop; the coordinates below the map will change as you move the marker to your antenna location. You can select the vertical view, as in the example, or the pretty oblique view; the vertical view is more accurate for antenna aim.

It is often worth the trouble to try different locations in an attic to find a signal hot spot.

Oh, btw, is there a particular preamp that you might recommend for my situation?
Antennas Direct Juice
Channel Master 7777HD/Amplify (not just 7777), has HI and Low gain settings
RCA TVPRAMP1R, inexpensive, works well but sometimes has quality control problems. Buy from Walmart, not Amazon. Amazon sometimes sends a return that hasn't been checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reception Results:
Morgan Crossing, South Surrey
4th floor (equiv to 6th floor) Condo.

Getting the following with
Winegard 5000 indoor 35miles ($49)

Getting the following with Amazonbasics- 25miles($10) extra channel because of room location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038e80563eb2f

Pretty happy with the results.
Terk antennas was only getting 4-8CH

Love to get Komo/King/KSTW/Kiro/KSTW etc... but if I get a 60-70miles antenna?

I won’t be able to do any balcony/roof mounts because of the condo.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
SSB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having issues with 10.1 ckvu recently? All other chans are fine (2.1,17.1,32.1, etc), but this one is having lots of pixelation / broken video.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It is working fine in Coquitlam, but that could be because I am closer to the transmitter than you may be, or have a better line of sight(no trees etc. in the way).

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am getting CityTV 10.1 fine here in South Langley, but it is one of the station I am likeliest to have trouble with. It is the station with the weakest transmission strength in the Vancouver area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My signal for the KVOS channels (12.1-12.5) dropped over a month ago from 5/5 bars to 2/5 bars with no signal now. All the other OTA channels still come in fine. I am in Delta. Has there been any recent changes to their transmitter setup in some way?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My signal for the KVOS channels (12.1-12.5) dropped over a month ago from 5/5 bars to 2/5 bars with no signal now. All the other OTA channels still come in fine. I am in Delta. Has there been any recent changes to their transmitter setup in some way?
KVOS is in the process of changing their broadcast frequency from 35 to 14. My understanding is that they set up a temporary and less powerful transmitter and will remain as such until the conversion is complete. I am not sure when they anticipate the change being completed, but they told me they would email me when that was done. At that time, we will need to rescan to pick up the new channel.

Keith R

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed a few stations are weaker (i.e. no reception w/ my antenna + amp in my balcony) in Richmond in recent month, including C24I Bellingham PBS station that I like to watch. My setup has not changed so I wonder what has been going on but I haven't been that consistent a user on the OTA side lately also.

781 - 800 of 831 Posts