Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
The antenna I found the best for me was a Silver Sensor clone. Terk makes a simple and an amplified one. Google the antenna name to make sure you are getting the right one. The amplified one worked a little better for me. I had one of these when I lived in a house as well as now in a high rise. I believe it is called a Terk HDTVa antenna pro. I had an unamplified similar antenna like it which came with my All in Wonder HD card for my computer, and it still works after all these years. I was able to pick up locals and Bellingham Channels with it. You may have a chance at them if you are far enough west.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You guys are awesome. There are so many different antennas. I was looking for a specific one to try. Thanks. Going to try the terk.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Channels maybe? Maybe not?

Oh so I have some information and what I think I found with an indoor antenna. But now I'm not sure how I get to the channel or view the channels I think were scanned? Help anyone, much appreciated.

I connected coax to the back of my TV. Did an auto scan. Found 6 channels I think. I checked the signal strength and all six appear to be around 65-75 on strength.

2-1, 8-1, 17-1, 22-2, 26-1, 32-1

But since its coax only I need something for sound /video?

Sorry for all the questions but seems maybe I get some stations?

Thanks u!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually never mind. Had to figure out my home theatre setup and inputs. I am getting signal now on 6 channels. The antenna isn't even near my east facing window. Pretty interesting. I'll move the antenna closer to the window etc and see if it makes a difference. As well I need to connect an audio source.

Cheers.

I do need an audio cable correct? The coax only brings video?

·
Super Moderator
56,460 Posts
You connect an audio cable (usually TOSLink/Optical) from the back of the TV to the audio system in order to hear the audio from the OTA channels externally. You then need to go into the TV menus for audio and tell the TV that you're using external audio/speakers, not the TV's internal speakers.

You should already have audio on the TV if the TV speakers are turned on.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh cool. Thanks. I'll switch the tv speakers to ON.

I'll also try moving the antenna to the window. *shrug* maybe I'll get another channel or two .

·
Registered
469 Posts
Try pointing West, and rescan (and check the results), then try pointing south and rescan (and check the results)to see if it is possible to get any other channels if you have a window in either of those directions you will get the best results. You will lose some channels each time you do this. If you find different channels then try pointing somewhere in between to see if you can get both. 22.2 is a standard definition version of Global. If you can get the antenna in different windows you will get different results (usually stronger). I get 18 channels if I point West, that brings in channels like CHEK Victoria, and the Bellingham and a few others, you may still get the Vancouver channels in from the side which are much stronger (I get them all if I point in the West and a little south, but I am higher up and further inland so my results will be different).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Awww ya unfortunately my apartment window faces east :(. But I'll try moving it closer to the window. Trial and error.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Out of curiosity how has the signal for CBC English (CBUT-DT) moving to Ch 35 impacted you? Has the signal strength gone up, down or stayed the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reception Results:
1. Location: Vancouver, BC (Fraser & 49th)
2. Receiver and Antenna Brand/Model: Antennas Direct DB-8 (not the newer DB-8e), pointed to the Orca Islands.
3. Stations Received with their Picture Quality: 22 channels, all seem to be clear enough
4. I am using a second hand Toshiba 37" LCD TV, made in January 2006. I am pretty sure the tuner is ancient, but it seems to work. Maybe I can find a nice 6th gen ATSC set stop box to see if I can pick up more channels.

To be honest, God was very gracious. All I wanted was PBS (KTBC), so my installer pointed it to PBS and I got the rest of the channels as a bonus.

Paul Tang (778-881-4832 (c)) was my installer. I would recommend him. He did a chimney mount with two mounting kits (overkill) and a 10ft pole. I wanted to use quad-shield outdoor rated RG-6, but he would only install regular RG-6. The install was grounded to the base of my chimney, where I plan to install a ground plate and connect up the ground. (I didn't want to run a long length of RG-6 to the other corner of the house, to ground and to connect it up to my ancient RG-56 cable running through my house. I was concerned about signal loss, since my future TV room is on the other side of the chimney.)

It was difficult to find a local installer for an OTA. Paul does satellite installs normally. A couple of other people weren't even interested in installing my antenna.

Here's my full station list:
1 2.1 CBUT-DT, CBC Vancouver English CBC
2 6.1 CHEK-DT Victoria CTV
3 8.1 CHAN-DT Global
4 10.1 CKVU-DT CityTV
5 12.1 KVOS-DT, Heros and Icons Independent
6 12.2 Movies!
7 12.3 MeTV, Classic TV
8 12.4 Decades
9 12.5 StartTV
10 17.1 CIVI-DT CTV2
11 24.1 KBCB-DT, Jimmy Swaggart SonLife
12 24.2 ShopHQ, Shopping
13 24.3 QVC, shopping
14 24.4 JTV, jewelry tv
15 26.1 CBUFT-DT, CBC French CBC
16 28.1 K18NJ-D (KBTC?) PBS
17 28.2 NHK_WLD, Japan
18 28.3 FNX, First Nations eXperience
19 28.4 TVW, Washington State Legislature
20 32.1 CIVT-DT Vancouver CTV
21 42.1 CHNM-DT Omni
22 66.1 CHNU-DT JoyTV

Disclaimer: I have no commercial affiliation with Paul, other than being a customer.

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts