Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1150 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Please excuse my ignorance. I am just getting started with this. (Have had some FTA Satellite in the past so not starting totally from scratch (I Think?))

I am just wondering. Isn't the 8200 just two 4 bay antenna's ganged together to make an 8-bay?

If so Could I not purchase an 8200 and aim one set of 4 bays in one direction and one in another? Maybe with different splitter / connector than what comes with the actual 8200 for connecting the two 4-bays?

Also. I do have some Evergreens around me but will be attempting to aim around them as I did with the Satellite dish. Plus I intend to put this (Or these) antennas on a pole to get them above them to some extent.

Carl

·
Registered
544 Posts
jctcom, I think you may be describing the Antenna Direct DB8e and if so yes you could point the 2 bays in different directions using the splitter supplied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are probably right. But in that case it looks like two DB4e's are much less expensive than a single DB8e.

So my next question is.... What hardware / splitter type of device do I need to connect two DB4e's together at the end of about a single 40' RG6 cable? Also for this situation can I do the same with 1 DB4e and one CM4221HD? and would that make any difference if I aimed the DB4e at the farther transmitters and the CM4221HD at the closer ones to cut down on cost a bit?

Carl.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
jctcom said:
What hardware / splitter type of device do I need to connect two DB4e's together
The following thread is all about that topic:

Stacking, Ganging, Combining TV Antennas

In your earlier post you discussed a Winegard antenna called an 8200, which is a giant VHF-FM-UHF model. I answered you based on that idea. Then you said this:
Isn't the 8200 just two 4 bay antenna's ganged together to make an 8-bay?
which tells me you meant the Winegard 8800, which is an 8-bay bowtie reflector UHF antenna. An 8800 would not be suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah. Not sure why I thought the HD8200 was a bowtie type antenna? Was stuck on it being listed as HD8200P in the Antenna list and only able to find HD8200U when searching via google.

In any case I am now considering the DB8e which is an 8 bay bowtie in order to get pointed in 2 different directions. Is this also not suitable for my situation? or is there some other reason why you thought the WineGuard 8800 would not be suitable for me?

Carl.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
A Winegard 8800, like all 8-bays, has a much tighter pattern than a 4-bay. That is a good thing if you are after stations from just one direction. In your case, if there is any hope of getting all Vancouver and Bellingham stations with one antenna at one aiming point it would be with a top quality 4-bay due to its wider reception pattern.

As for pointing individual bays of a DB8e in different directions, the following thread will tell you about how it often doesn't work out so simply: 8-Bay UHF Antennas & Clones That Fold / Bifurcate

So, you could go with a DB8e and test aiming the bays separately, or gang two DB4es (or CM4221HDs) and aim them individually, keeping them a good distance apart as described in the Stacking, Ganging, Combining TV Antennas thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Near Deep Cove, across from SFU

Just got a ClearStream 4V and planning to mount it on my chimney. I plan to be installing a Channel master Titan 2 High Gain Preamplifier.
Here is the TV Fool results for me.

Any chances I could get the Seattle channels or I should not spend the extra effort and money with Titan 2 High Gain?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
frviana:

Welcome to the forum. I'm surprised no one saw your question.

Any chances I could get the Seattle channels or I should not spend the extra effort and money with Titan 2 High Gain?
Your CM7777 will be overloaded by your strong local signals.

The max input level is 15 dBmV = -34 dBm
http://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777.htm

Your local signals are about 10 dB stronger than that even before adding the antenna gain.

The only channels you have any chance of receiving from that direction are KVOS, KBCB, and K24IC. KCPQ Fox would only come in during rare Tropo events.

Your antenna is 100 feet above ground level?

You have some very strong FM signals coming from the north, but they probably will not cause interference to TV reception because your TV signals are UHF.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/9120f77541/Radar-FM.png

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just had a discussion with my friend. He wants to cut cable, buy an indoor antenna thanks he can get the Canadian networks? He lives in an apartment pretty much downtown. His apartment window faces into a courtyard. Not sure what direction.

I told him it's highly unlikely he will get any channel.

True?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Can he see Mt. Seymour? That is where most of the local transmitters are (also are any highrises in the way). If the window faces that way he should be able to get them. He may get Chek 6 Victoria and I think City is in a different direction, but I'm not sure, depending on which way he faces and if any highrises are directly in the way of the transmitters, your best bet is to borrow a small antenna and scan for channels with the tv set to over the air not cable. Move the antenna around and face in different directions and scan again. Sometimes signals will bounce off of buildings so your best bet is to just try and see.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes this is exactly what I thought and was explaining. But wanted to make sure he needed to be able to see to the north. Thanks. As you said he can always try but knowing where he lives I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Indoor antenna differences?

This thread is quite old but I want to try for OTA signal. I'm in an apartment. Are different antennas going to make a difference? I just want to goof around and see if I can obtain a signal.

Can I try any indoor antenna? Amplified I guess?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hello, stationg:

I think the best answer was given to you by s40:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/2839185-post1132.html

Can you post a tvfool report for us so that we can see what the signals look like and tell us a little about your indoor location?
TV Fool

Here is a generic report near the intersection of Robson St and Hornby St. The report assumes that the antenna will be outside and in the clear; your signals inside will depend upon the building construction.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddfafb4f4556754

Your best signals are coming from the NE at about 40 degrees magnetic. What does the signal path look like in that direction?
Are different antennas going to make a difference?
Yes, start with something simple and see how it does. Your local signals are all UHF, so the loop of an indoor rabbit ears and loop antenna would be using primarily the loop.

The next upgrade would be something like an Antennas Direct C2 or C2V that has a reflector to reject indoor reflections because it is directional. Try it without an amplifier first.

If you are handy with tools, you can build a DIY UHF antenna.

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51
The virtual channel number (like 2.1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow thank u very much for your reply! Hmm I'm in an area with many low rises. Mostly 3-4 stories. My window faces east. I will do as you suggested. I'm kinda goofing around. I've always been curious and TBH I'll be surprised if I obtain anything but I won't know until I try. Most of the buildings were probably built in the late 70s, early 80s. Assuming most are wood framed. Pretty thin walls lol I think. Double pained glass.

I did a tvfool search. Results seem to suggest indoor antenna should get the local stations. But again only know when I try.

As for the direction mentioned it might be possible. Not holding my breath.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
stationg

The moderator has moved your posts here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129-ota-reception-results/36748-bc-city-vancouver-north-van-west-van-ota-76.html#post2845953

You are welcome. Other upgrade antennas would be the AD DB2e and DB4e. Sometimes the best indoor antenna is an outdoor antenna. The antennas I have suggested are safer indoors because the don't have sharp whiskers sticking out.

Stampeder has an antenna chart here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/97121-ota-antenna-chart-tableau-des-meilleures-antennes-ota-17-05-2014-a.html

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Well, this isn't my first choice, but if they were the only stores I could buy an antenna:

Staples
2-bay UHF antenna
Item : 1622598 / Model : ANT2088

The Source
Web ID/SKU: 108034470
ANT2088 online only

It looks like they have a good returns policy.

If you don't get much reception with that antenna and want to add an amp, try the Channel Master 7778. An alternate is the less expensive CM 3410 with the UVSJ as an FM filter listed below.

You have some very strong local FM signals that might interfere with TV reception. I don't have your address or postal code, but going by V6E 1J1:
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/ed164de6aa/Radar-FM.png

Since all your channels are UHF, add a UVSJ, common and high (UHF) ports, as an FM filter after the antenna.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks rabbit! Your a great help. I'll goof around this weekend and see what happens. I only mentioned staples because it's close. And I have a USFJ for sure. I'll let you know how I make out.

1121 - 1140 of 1150 Posts