Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to test OTA (with my current set up as a first step)

I have an old analogue crt television that is currently hooked up to shaw cable with one of their basic digital boxes. I would like to test OTA with an antenna just to see if this is worth looking into further. For this test, I bought a simple antenna and hooked it up to the digital box which is hooked up to the tv as per the manufacturer's instructions. That part is simple enough. The part I need some experienced help with is firstly, will the digital box from shaw work with OTA, and secondly, if so how do I set up the channels. I have the antenna by the window pointing towards Seymour Mt and have tried various settings on the tv but so far there are no channels coming in. I tried both the tv and cable settings but no luck. I tried scanning the channels; no luck. I tried video 1, 2, 3; no luck. I'm on the north side of my condo near the pne and would be happy just to get the six local channels that TV Fool suggest I could get. Any help from you more experienced people would be great.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,102
For an old CRT TV you will need an ATSC DIgital Converter Box. The antenna cable goes into it, and then another cable goes from it to your TV. You set the Converter box to output on either channel 3 or 4, and tune your CRT TV to channel 3 or 4 as you chose. Then you set the Converter Box to do a scan and it will automatically lock in all the OTA DTV stations it can. It means using the Converter box's remote to change channels and the TV's remote to change the volume. Here's a thread that has everything you will ever need to know about getting Digital OTA with an old analogue CRT TV:

ATSC Converter Boxes (Non-HD, Non-Recording)

That Shaw box is for CATV so will not work with OTA. Please read through the OTA FAQ to get the info you need. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ordered an RCA ANT751 - downtown vancouver

I'm located at seymour and pender st on the 27th floor facing south with a clear view. I currently receive all the local channels at 100% signal strength and KVOS-DT 12.1 at 75% strength and KBCB-DT 24.1 at 25% signal.

I'm currently using a terk indoor antenna but I'm hoping that with the RCA antenna I should be able to receive some seattle stations? Is this at all possible or am I just dreaming?

Here is my tv fool report
TV Fool

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received my STA 751 antenna and now I'm receiving either 19 channels or 21 channels (up from 12 with my terk indoor) depending on if I point the antenna at either 163* or 173*. I am receiving kbtc from seattle as well ktbw and sometimes kcpq. The ones I'm most interested in receiving in king, komo and kiro. Would it be worth the extra money to get the winegard preamp over the antra preamp?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can probably get KIRO, KOMO, and KING, but I think I would upgrade
to a larger 8 Bay antenna (CM 4228 or Antennas Direct DB8e ) outside antenna
with amplifier. Try the amplifier first, as it will likely help pull in more stations
on its own. The hot weather currently is making it easier to get more of
the Seattle stations, so it will give you a good idea of what is achievable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately my setup won't allow me to get a larger antenna. I have to try and milk as much out of this sta 751 as I can. I am already using the amplifier that came with my terk indoor antenna so I guess the next logical step is to try a preamp. Judging by the fact that I can pick up kcpq from seattle sometimes makes me think with a bit more of a boost I could also get those other channels.

Would modifying my sta 751 to make it slightly larger be of any help or would that just destroy the antenna?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,109
Aaron Walton, welcome here. When you look at the Antenna Chart you'll see that the 751 is unfortunately not at all in the category for receiving deepest fringe stations such as the Seattle-Tacoma ones from the City of Vancouver. That means that a preamp fed from it would have almost no signal to actually amplify from those SeaTac stations, so it would be useless and may even cause overload on the Mount Seymour and Bellingham stations. Post #13 in the OTA FAQ explains all that in detail. The amplifier from your Terk is probably too noisy as well. What is the reception like on the 751 without that amplifier? Don't modify that antenna unless you can properly reverse all the changes to put it back. It is a shame that you cannot use a proper large 8-bay antenna.

KBTC is actually broadcast to our area from Orcas Island off of Bellingham and not SeaTac where their main tower is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would agree that trying a full amplifier would help. Maybe you could try a 4-Bay antenna, or stacking 2 4-Bay antennas
or try building a Grey-Hoverman antenna. I don't think modifying your existing antenna
is going to work. Possibly adding a rotor to help you tune in some of the stations may help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yaletown

Hi guys (and as a little lurker, thanks Stampeder for all the FAQ/Antenna list etc I've been reading). I have a fairly unique situation and I was hoping to get some advice. I have a house in Yaletown (yep, house). We are in the midst of getting some renos done, and when finished I am hoping to have a system something like this: HDTV (likely Sony55W800C) connected to my network for streaming my media, with possible android box for streaming KODI, Netflix etc, and an antenna for OTA so I can get live TV and watch sports. MY home is heritage so I cannot use an outdoor antenna. I am surrounded by high-rise condos, but actually have a direct alley corridor view of the mountains (well, when it isn't too cloudy I get a peek, not sure which mountain exactly). I am trying to decidew between an indoor antenna on the main floor, in the room (and it would have to be attractive for my wife to ok it - she likes the Mohu curve but it isn't on Stampeder's list), versus ethernet wired to the attic (we are already wiring the house so wouldn't be a huge change) and using that to connect to an antenna in the attic.

So, after all that, I am not sure what is the best option. I would appreciate any suggestions. The house is wood, and the antenna will not get window space (no chance my wife would be ok with it) and must be attractive or discrete if visible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
New to this forum--what an incredible source of info. I just moved out of a condo into a duplex in Vancouver (south facing, very close to sea level). In your opinion, am I better off with a larger antenna in the attic, or a smaller one on the chimney? (about 10 feet higher than the attic).

(From the recommended list, of course!)

I would love to get a few seattle channels.

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
931 Posts
A large one on the chimney of course. ;)

Actually, if you can post a tvfool report folks here can give more serious advice. I know that lots of folks in Vancouver have trouble getting Seattle stations, and sea level might be problematic. A tvfool report would let us all know which stations are worth trying for.

·
Registered
2 Posts

In the attic 20ft up, I can get a DB8e, facing south. On the chimney 30ft up I could maybe get something small.
Would love seattle PBS for the kids and NBC for football.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry Tim,

With a good antenna you should be able to get PBS Tacoma's Bellingham transmitter (as well as MeTV and Sonlife from Bellingham), but the major networks Seattle just aren't going to happen.

Another wrinkle is that most of the Canadian stuff is almost at a right angle to Bellingham, so you might need to rotate or have two antennas. Check out stampeder's FAQ on ganging. That dude has done amazing work to compile a ton of info in the FAQs.

As to your initial question, I'd pick the chimney, but I'm not that much of an expert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
North Van: Trans-Canada and Westview

Ok. Forwarning. Extreme noobie here.

I am looking at the Antenna Chart and it looks like for my needs (Wants, Wishes) I should be looking at the Wineguard HD8200P.

btw I am in North Vancouver, Canada (V7M 3B1) and am looking to mount an antenna on my roof using existing RG6 cable that was previously run for an old Satellite antenna in case that makes a difference.

Looking for ATSC HD signals.

The problem I am having is when I do a google search on HD8200P looking for additional info, pricing etc... All I seem to come up with is the HD8200U? Is this a replacement for the HD8200P or a different animal altogether? Even on Wineguard's site I only seem to find the HD8200U and not the HD8200P?

Carl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your help and I look forward to your response. I have posted a link to my TVFool info below. But my main questions is why when searching for the HD8200P as indicated in the Antenna Chart, Why do my searches seem to yield the HD8200U? I can't seem to find any info on the HD8200P anywhere other than the chart?

Here is my TVFool chart:

I can't see a preview of the message so hopefully that works in this forum.

Carl.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,120
From your location it is doubtful that you would receive the VHF-HI channels from Seattle-Tacoma as they are categorized 2EDGE and TROPO on your TVFool report. So, my advice is to not bother putting up a giant broadband antenna like an 8200.

Instead, I'd concentrate on all the strong stations listed under the "Path" column as "LOS". Those Vancouver and Bellingham stations will be surefire with a pair of Antennas Direct DB4e antennas ganged together with one facing 166° and the other facing 73°, or you could try just one DB4e aimed somewhere in between those directions that yields all of them at once, if that is possible. That would require some testing, and might save the cost of the second antenna. Also the CM4221HD would be a fine antenna in place of the DB4e if need be.

My hunch is that you will need two DB4e (or two CM4221HD) in order to get all of the LOS stations reliably. The one facing 166° (Bellingham) would also get CHEK from Victoria.

Do you have tall evergreen trees nearby? Those are signal killers that TVFool cannot account for.

1101 - 1120 of 1151 Posts