Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
The CV2 might be overkill unless you get a rotor and then pick up Bellingham and Victoria channels. I use a Channel Master CM4220 without an amp and get all Vancouver channels no problem.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you are only aiming for the local Vancouver stuff, I'd try a cheap set top UHF antenna first. It would likely do the job just fine without the hassles of climbing ladders. You've got a ton of signal to play with.

Personally, I would try to get the Bellingham/Victoria stations if I lived in your neck of the woods. PBS would be great, and KBCB will be a Fox affiliate come January. Even then your CV2 might be overkill. I'd use with a ClearStream 2 from a store that accepts returns. See what you can get inside the house and then worry about outdoor mounts if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I should've mentioned that although I'm not trying for Seattle I do want to to get Bellingham and Victoria so I'll probably go with a bit of overkill and see what else pops up. Same reason for choosing the C2V, maybe a couple of VHF channels will show.

I'll move forward and let you know how I do. Maybe I won't need an outdoor mount but I'd like to set it up for maximum reception the first time, plus it'll be fun engineering the mast. I should look into bylaws in Vancouver...and grounding...

I plan to have the mast rest in a shaft, set a couple of feet in concrete in the ground, then fasten the mast at the soffit (the eave of the house). I'll sort out some way to lock the mast in place but still be able to unlock it and rotate it to taste.

Wish me luck! c.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Greetings,

About-to-cut-the-cord here, after having a look at how our "TV" watching habits have changed.

We live high on the ridge in Vancouver proper and a simple piece of coax with ~ 9 inches stripped turned into a dipole sitting in front of our Panasonic DTV pulls in many of the local stations.

I'm planning on putting something like a CM4228HD up in our attic which is ~ 20 feet AGL and roughly 115M ASL with the hopes of pulling in some of the US stations out the front and the local stations off the back.

Has anyone else done something like this? I'm not opposed to moving it outside to the roof if I must, but if I don't have to I won't.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Update, being something of an antenna builder thanks to my ham radio background, cooked up a few dipoles and may build a lpda. Something tells me I'll be looking to the roof if I want anything beyond Bellingham or Mount Constitution.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Keith,

I'm near 41st and Victoria, with sight lines over top of all homes to the south of me. With not much of an antenna I can pull in local stations TV Fool says I should get easily. With a simple tuned dipole I'm getting a reasonable signal (in the attic) from KVOS in Bellingham and from PBS (Mount Constitution).

If amplifying the signal would help me pull in a few more from the south I might consider that good enough for now, but not sure the numbers add up.

In the attic the antennas are sitting ~ 20 feet; on top I could get them to 30 feet. Our attic runs east-west, I need to check out the east side, it has a clearer shot past my neighbour.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=2c152db94d62ac

·
Registered
283 Posts
You may have a shot at KCPQ (Fox) given that it broadcasts form Bainbridge Island, so you don't have as many obstacles in your way. The rest of you major networks may pose a larger problem though. There are others on this forum who are more experienced than I am with getting signals from that distance so I will leave the "how to suggestion to them, but given the clear skies, now may be as good a time as any to give it a shot.

Keith R

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll give KCPQ a shot.

I'm starting to wish I'd doubled down and put up a tower for my other antennas years ago... hanging a TV antenna up would have been easy.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072
If that happens just send a PM to the poster to ask them to update it. Another option is to ask in the thread for a repost of the image. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Borrowed some antennas from a ham buddy of mine and did a little bit of experimenting from our attic in our south east Vancouver home. We are high on the east-west ridge, blocked by nothing 360 degrees around except for a corner of my neighbours (lower, less steeply pitched) roof. We are LOS to both Mount Seymour and Bellingham.

With the attic-mounted antennas, pointing an 8-bay bow-tie style antenna with reflector almost due south I get KVOS off the front, US PBS and Victoria off the SW quarter, and the north shore stations off the back, as hoped, with amply solid signals.

Experimentation not done yet... I should be able to completely clear my neighbours house to the south by relocating the antenna to the east end of our attic.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Finally got the HDHomerun (HDHR4 - Extend) in. Preliminary results with an 8 bay bowtie in attic are encouraging. 16 channels with a pre-amp in line, not losing any thanks to the preamp (RCA). *Almost* getting 2 more Seattle area stations... oh so close to having a reliable signal.

I'm going to compare the available channel performance of the HDHR4 to direct connection with the TV, using the same length of cable (65 feet of RG6), pre-amp in and out, to see if anything else can be learned. While I doubt it will make enough difference to matter, if the antenna does stay in the attic the RF cable run will be down to 8 to 10 feet once I terminate another Cat 6 cable upstairs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Receiving analogue signals????

Maybe some one has run across this before. I put up an external antenna and did a scan to see what I could receive. This part is good, all the locals including a few in the US all in HD.

Now my question is I also received several analogue channels as well. To my knowledge there are none in Vancouver. I did a scan using the "cable" setting and I receive the same channels as the "antenna" setting. The channel placement seem to mirror that of the local Shaw channels. Is it possible that their system could be leaking. Also was scanning the 2 mtr ham radio band 144 to 148 mhz. Went a bit higher and picked up the weather net work audio at 149.750 mhz. I'm able to rotate the antenna and while watching one of analogue channels and it is not possible to find a signal strength peak.

To ask the opinion is there really leakage or not?? And if I approach Shaw would they even listen to you. My tv provider is not Shaw.

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I live in downtown Vancouver at Melville and Bute. I picked up the Mohu Leaf 50, hooked it up, scanned the tv, and get ZERO channels. I've moved it around the living room and get nada, nothing, zilch. What gives?

Cheers,

HR

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,080
Well, actually, "what gives" is that you're using an antenna that is not on the Antenna Chart. ;) Also how high up are you, and is there a large building in between your home and the Mt. Seymour antenna site?

1061 - 1080 of 1151 Posts