Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A belated thanks to newest and stampeder to the responses on page 6.

Further investigation in to what is for me a completely new subject has revealed that I'd need to upgrade my basic cable subscription by approx $40/month AND shell out $600+ to get a decent HD package from Shaw. That bites when I know I can get a lot of what I want (for the time being) from the OTA services available from Saymour.

So, stampeder, I think there may have been a misunderstanding or I miised the sarcasm - I can in no way see Mt Seymour from my location in Marpole about 150ft max above the Fraser River and YVR on the opposite shore. So ... to confirm, would your previous recommendation be suitable if I am unable to mount it on the roof (3 storey's above us) or even to the side of our apartment.

I look forward to your reply (and anyone elses for that matter).

Many many thanks for this and while I'm at it - wow - this is an awesome forum!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
kerbkrawler said:
I think there may have been a misunderstanding or I miised the sarcasm - I can in no way see Mt Seymour from my location in Marpole about 150ft max above the Fraser River and YVR on the opposite shore.
Sorry, no sarcasm was meant, and I don't tend to use much sarcasm because it gets misunderstood too easily. :) In your case you still want to have a stealth antenna that will not have to be outdoors, right? Given that you say there are obstructions between your place and Mt. Seymour (I should have kept that in mind before) the best you can do is hope for a reflected signal. Believe it or not it is possible to get a digital lock on an OTA signal by aiming a high quality antenna towards surrounding buildings. Unfortunately without testing first you could end up with gear that you don't want if it doesn't work out. In your case I think the most sensible solution is to get a pro like 4DTV_HD to do an onsite signal survey so that you'll know once and for all. As you can see from Sark's posts, people along the Fraser can get good OTA signal, so testing is your best route.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great News for our Area.

:D Thanks for the post.

I just ran in and turn my set on and with rabbit ears got a solid signal on CBC 2-1.
The same test pattern as yours at 1:30 PM Dec. 12, 2005.
It is fantastic at 1080i.
They must be sending out a higher signal than CTV-DT 33-1 which I can't seem to get a lock on with my inside antenna.

Mingus....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The test pattern looks great and the signal does seem stronger than the CTV signal.

This is fabulous, maybe by xmas we will get some HD hockey???

I guess I can only hope.

If any of the CTV people are reading this, boost your signal a little bit and play some HD movies at night so we can record them!!!

Snorf

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Snorf, I'm not sure if you're just kidding but CTV Vancouver can't boost their Effective Radiated Power because Industry Canada sets that and the CRTC includes it in their broadcast license. The goal is for the new digital transmission systems to mimic the original analog broadcast contours. With DTV this requires far less power.

Accordingly, here are the equivalent power output levels of the Vancouver DT stations, taking into account antenna height and other factors:
  • CIVT-DT (CTV) 33.1: about 1 kilowatt
  • CBUT-DT (CBC) 58.1: about 31 kilowatts
  • CHAN-DT (Global) 22.1: about 4 kilowatts around September, 2006
Questions about CBC-HD programming go in the CBC-HD thread in the What's On In HD Forum. The OTA Forum is purely about OTA reception matters.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Real world signal strength comparison

My LG LST-4200A ATSC tuner, as terrific as it is, has a weird signal strength meter that doesn't seem to be very helpful, but it shows CBUT-DT (CBC) to be just a sliver stronger on my system than CIVT-DT (CTV). I also patched my antenna into my BEV 6100 to check its signal strength meter (which actually is a ratio meter of clean data packets to unresolvable ones) and it showed 80 to 83 for CBUT-DT and 70 to 73 for CIVT-DT on a scale of 100. Considering that my antenna is on the wrong side of a stand of huge cedar trees from a clear shot at Mt. Seymour, I'm delighted with the results because the LG tuner has a clean, solid signal lock on both channels and does not have any dropouts (the 6100 had a few minor droupouts on CTV but its ATSC tuner is just not in the same league as the LG).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I understand, one could always hope though. I am running MCE 2005 and an Avermedia A180, so all I have is bars for signal strength, 6 of them. On CTV I used to get a bunch of drop outs (till I added the second antenna) but now I get a minimum of 4 bars, fairly consistently, and 5 bars the rest of the time. On the CBC test screen I get 6 bars steady.

I am in langley with lots of trees, big trees. I run 2 Channel Master 4228's and a booster.

I could get 24-1 if I turned my antennas.

I can't wait till we get more OTA HD (or other uncompressed HD)!!!

Snorf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow Vancouverites!

I'm new to this HD thing. I bought a Samsung LCD TV, but it doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

I'm looking to buy an ATSC tuner + antenna for low cost as possible, preferably not online since it'd be easier to refund.. I'd like to try out OTA HD, but I would like to be easier to refund if anything goes wrong.

Are there any stores in the Greater Vancouver area that carries those equipment?

Thanks!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Hi stryderjzw and welcome here - standalone ATSC tuners are not on the Canadian retail market at this time (which is really dumb) but some antenna distributors have them. Send a PM to 4DTV_HD who is here in BC.

If you are a Bell ExpressVu subscriber, several of their receivers have ATSC tuners in them that are not bad quality but I would recommend a set top box like an LG or Samsung if you just want OTA.

Also please be sure to go through the READ THIS BEFORE... thread in this forum before posting.

cheers, stampeder

·
Registered
6 Posts
CBC-HD Vancouver running HNIC Jan. 7, 2006 OTA

Thanks for the HD hockey on Saturday Marc!!

I am watching it on 2-1 right now an it looks great :).

Snorf

·
Registered
6 Posts
CBC-HD Vancouver running HNIC Jan. 7, 2006

For those of you reading this CBC is on 2-1 with an HD hockey game right now Saturday January 7/06 4:20 pm.

Right on!

Snorf

In Vancouver

·
Registered
1 Posts
North Van results

Hi all,

My first post here... thanks to all for the extremely helpful info on this forum ( especially the READ THIS FIRST threads) Just got my Samsung T451 STB setup :p , breifly here are my results.

CIVT-DT 60% - 70%
CBUT-DT 70% - 80%
no dropouts on either channel.

I'm at Lonsdale and First in North Van with a relatively clear view north to Mount Seymour from the 3rd floor. Current I'm using a cheap indoor radio shack antenna, (probably upgrade in the future).

Lovin the HD!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
As the game ended and the Leafs were skating toward their goalie to congratulate him the CBC-HD Vancouver OTA feed ended and cut back to the colour bar test pattern with the swirling "Ghost Of The CBC Past" logo.

It was beautiful while it lasted, and it was a great taste of what's to come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Caught the end of that game here in Victoria on 2.1 as well, hoped for the Nucks
game but no go, maybe soon , looking good!

·
Registered
982 Posts
CBUT-DT Vancouver (CBC-HD) Now On Air Full Time - Jan. 9, 2006

Full time service begins later today.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Confirmation that CBUT-DT is up and running in full digital.

For Vancouver this will be a great year if Global sticks to their September schedule for digital and when the handful of FCC-approved translators in Bellingham come up in digital.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cbut-dt

Stampeder:
Rotated my stacked 4228s exactly 180 degrees from Seattle direction this AM and got 100% reading from 2.1. (78% 32.1). Looking good.
Joe.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Results and Discussions for ONLY Vancouver, North Vancouver, and West Vancouver

The new threads are now open to posting of Results and to discussing them. Stay on topic, and whenever possible make use of the generic threads dealing with antennas, gear, vendors, etc. so that we don't duplicate all that great info. Just direct people to the existing info threads or the READ THIS FIRST thread as often as possible.

This thread is a one-stop-shopping location for info on receiving Over The Air High Definition and Digital broadcasts in the cities of Vancouver, North Vancouver, and West Vancouver only, as experienced by Digital Home Canada members.

The thread for all other GVRD municipalities and the Fraser Valley is this one:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=36554

cheers,
stampeder

61 - 80 of 1151 Posts