Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1151 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
badkarma said:
I'm around oak and 49th. Any chance of getting US HD channels?
Any groves of large trees to the south of you? Are you in an apartment a few floors up?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Coquitlam, BC OTA questions

What kind of antenna is required to get OTA HD signals? Can I just use indoor rabbit ears or do I need a big outdoor mast?

Does anyone know what are the OTA HD channels we can get in the Vancouver area? Can the US (Seattle/Bellingham) stations be received OTA?

·
Registered
123 Posts
kenw said:
What kind of antenna is required to get OTA HD signals? Can I just use indoor rabbit ears or do I need a big outdoor mast?
There is no special type of "HD Antenna", but the better/higher/bigger it is the more reception you will get. Usually a roof mounted CM 4228 will get you on your way. Rabbit ears could work if you're close enough to the transmitter, but your needs really depends on your location.

kenw said:
Does anyone know what are the OTA HD channels we can get in the Vancouver area? Can the US (Seattle/Bellingham) stations be received OTA?
This thread should help:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23569

Personally I have an indoor mounted CM 4228 (no roof access from my appartment) and I get Fox and NBC regularly, and CBS most of the time from Seattle. I can also get ABC, UPN, and PBS on good days. All HD. I live in South East Van btw.

CBC HD is scheduled to start transmitting in September in Vancouver.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sarke said:
CBC HD is scheduled to start transmitting in September in Vancouver.
I'm beginning to really doubt that now. The CBC strike might cause a delay, but I sure hope not. Kenw: you can find lots of info here in the OTA Forum regarding Lower Mainland OTA reception.

·
Registered
261 Posts
stampeder said:
Any groves of large trees to the south of you? Are you in an apartment a few floors up?
Sorry, I didn't have topic subscription on. There's quite a few trees south of me but I'm somewhat on a small hill. I'm in a house though. Sounds like I don't have a good chance.

BTW, Is CBC still planning on going OTA in Vancouver? I assume after the strike? Any other channels?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The analog pictures I'm getting have bands on them. The sound, however, is fine. Previously, with the Televes, I was getting fairly good pictures. It could be multipath because the pictures strength appears good. I'm not sure how to recognize multipath.

Is there anyway I can get a more consistent signal? I notice with wet or cloudy weather, the signals are poor. The last couple of days, with good weather, the signals were again strong, reaching 100% on a couple of stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
South Vancouver near SE Marine Dr.

Sarke, got a question for you.

I live pretty close to you 49th and Kerr.
You have the antenna facing south, were you still able to pick up CTV's HD signal emitting from Mt. Seymour?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indoor UHF Antenna for Commercial Drive area?

What are my chances on pciking up CTV 33-1 using an indoor UHF antenna? I just order a silver sensor? I am using an older panasonic TU-DST51 set top box. I would love to record alias in HDTV on my DVHS. My expressvu signals rainfades quite a bit right now because a tree partially blocks my south view so my recordings have dropouts. Clears up fine when the leaves are gone. I assume I would point the antenna to the north where I have a clear view. Oh yeah I am in the commercial drive area. any comments?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
From where you are you should point your Silver Sensor just a bit to the right of the Ironworkers Second Narrows Bridge, if you can picture where that is from Commercial Drive. You should have no trouble getting CIVT-DT on 33.1, or at least I'd be quite surprised if there was any problem. Of course with an indoor antenna you never know what interference there might be. If you find the sweet spot for CTV you'll also get all the local analogue stations that are colocated on Mount Seymour and you'll get CBC-HD and SRC-HD when they come up in December. Let us know how your testing goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stampeder said:
You should have no trouble getting CIVT-DT on 33.1...
Cool I will let you guys know how it works out. Most likely next weekend when it arrives in the mail. From reading the posts looks like geting the seattle networks are out of the question for now. At least for a constant picture. So I wouldn't even try to get an attic antenna. At first I was going to use a AntennasDirect DB-2 or a Winegard Square Shooter. I am right in my thinking. I am hoping my little indoor silver sensor that sits on my set will get me CTV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indoor UHF Antenna for Commercial Drive area? (cont.)

Arghh! Just received a Samsung TV5.2 indoor antenna and not a silver sensor. Reviews said it does pick up UHF better, but when I tried it I could not pick-up CTV 33-1, only analog stations. May be it was the rain. I will try again tommorrow and try it out side. Is there anyone in the GVRD that has an indoor antenna working for them?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
iluvhockey said:
...but when I tried it I could not pick-up CTV 33-1, only analog stations.
This tells me that with CTV-DT's peashooter ERP added to probable multipath issues in your area (lots of different sized buildings) your ATSC tuner cannot get a lock on CTV-DT with an indoor antenna. I would be shocked if it was any sort of rain fade problem from where you are. Have you tried walking the antenna around your place looking for a sweet spot?

Normally I would recommend an outdoor 4-bay bowtie reflector antenna (see previous posts in this thread for details) but if you cannot go that route is there any chance of mounting a smaller one like a Wade-Delhi SL-4BT up near your BEV dish or with a clear shot at Mt. Seymour? Its a 4-bay UHF antenna without a reflector so its not very visible, and it would do great for the Vancouver digital and analog stations. Just an idea.

http://www.wade-antenna.com/UHFantennas.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the help. Looks like there is a distrubtor in Langley. I will give them a call monday. Would you know how it is going to cost and how hard it will be to mount. I was hoping not to go outdoors unless it was easy and would not be too much of an eye sore. That is why I was thinking of a Winegard Square Shooter. Anyways I will keep trying with the amplified silver sensor clone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

I just scanned through and I'm thinking I'm only going to be good for HD Cable but if some of you who know better than me could confirm I'd appreciate it.

I'm on SW Marine & Granville in a second storey apartment with no unobstructed views - especially not North to Seymour. I don't think I'm going to be allowed to mount a dish let alone run an aeriel up to the roof (although there's no harm in asking).

Any suggestions what, if anything, would work for me and my LCD HDTV?

Thanks in advance

kk

·
Registered
4 Posts
kerbkrawler said:
Hi All

I just scanned through and I'm thinking I'm only going to be good for HD Cable
;) There are 7 HD channels through shaw cable as far as I know. If you can, try to take advantage of those OTA signals. You might have better luck than I am (new westminster).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
kerbkrawler said:
Any suggestions what, if anything, would work for me and my LCD HDTV?
With an unobstructed view of Mt. Seymour to the north you are very fortunate, but since they won't allow you an antenna outside I would suggest trying to mount a small outdoor antenna indoors: the Wade-Delhi SL-4BT might look odd to someone outside looking directly at it hanging in a window indoors, but hardly anyone would notice it unless they knew it was there. You might even be able to close a curtain behind it so nobody inside sees it either. ;) See my previous posts in this thread about that antenna option.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ken, welcome here and please read the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING... thread in this forum to get you started with finding the answers you're looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OTA content of CTV-HD

Hi all; Location: Vancouver, Mount Pleasant area

First post, and I would like to say, what a terrific forum with lots of great information. A little about me: I would like to upgrade to HDTV from my present CRT TV (just a regular 4:3 TV). I have always used OTA for my TV viewing. Always ... never subscribed to cable or other TV services in my life. I presently receive CBC, CTV, Channel A, and M Channel all in analog-NTSC, of course, with decent picture quantity.

After doing lots of research on HDTV and DTV in general, I shop around and try to find a store that has HD content to view on their monitors. After all, I want to see this wow PQ that I've been reading is so great. After trying BB, FS, and 2 independent vendors, I'm wondering if HD even exists. Certainly isn't viewable at the stores I went to. Lots of DVD content and salespeople tuning into CNN on cable and telling me this is HDTV ... ahh.hh...sure kid, I'm feeling that "wow" factor coming on now.:confused:

So my question is, how much true HD content is CTV-HD broadcasting from Seymour Mtn., since that's what I would be receiving, once I get setup ( I have a line-of-sight view of Seymour Mtn.) Just to be clear, I mean content that was shot in HD, transmitted in HD, and viewed on a HD capable monitor. How much of this type of content is CTV-HD currently broadcasting? And, do you go "wow" when you tune in?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
OTAuser said:
Hi all; Location: Vancouver, Mount Pleasant area... ...I would like to upgrade to HDTV from my present CRT TV (just a regular 4:3 TV). I have always used OTA for my TV viewing. Always...
A true OTA believer! Welcome here and to OTA DTV.
OTAuser said:
how much true HD content is CTV-HD broadcasting from Mt. Seymour... ...I mean content that was shot in HD, transmitted in HD... ...And, do you go "wow" when you tune in?
Presently I find CTV-HD's wow factor to be quite high, and mrs. stampeder absolutely agrees. Any of the mainstream U.S. "big network" shows on CTV are telecast in true HD and the picture and audio quality are glorious, far exceeding our BEV HD feeds of the same shows. Some alleged "HD" programming like Corner Gas makes me really wonder if CTV knows what that term means, and there are already threads here at DHC that discuss that so we won't get into that here.

All in all, even for SD programming, to have CTV OTA DTV is much, much better than to have it in analog.

41 - 60 of 1151 Posts