Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently planned on renting in a basement suite that includes Shaw internet and cable in the rent. I still needed to get the home phone split in to my own account and although I'm with Telus, I thought I'd call Shaw to find out what they could offer me. When they asked if I needed internet/cable, I said it was included in my rent and that my Landlord already had Shaw.

They then said that they do not allow landlords to "re-sell" their services and that when I get there I will find that my internet and cable do not function. They said that they audit frequently and will be able to tell if I use either of these services without creating an account.

Is this true? Will my internet not work, (even if I have a password,) or even if I plug a cable in to the wall instead of getting a digital box? Will they audit us and if so how and what could happen?

If I do end up getting internet and cable as well as a land-line I'm definitely going through Telus as they treated me like gold and offered me a great deal on all three services, (half the price of Shaw.)

I wasn't planning on paying extra and am hoping there is a way around this. Any help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
lots of people with basement suites include cable and usually wireless internet, but they aren't supposed to, shaw considers it to be a seperate account, not going to get into the details or debate if its right or not,

but I can say for sure, most suites don't have seperate accounts for the suite, and it would be technically illegal,

I'd talk to your landlord before you talk to shaw

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I said it was included in my rent and that my Landlord already had Shaw.
Some apartments or condos may provide a connection to occupants, but they have a bulk deal with the cable company. I have set up such a system with in a senior's residence. However, in your case, it sounds like your landlord is simply sharing their own personal connection, which is not permitted.

·
Registered
437 Posts
it's highly recommended that the tenants set-up their own account in their suites. the reason being is bandwidth consumption. a few suites combined into one account could bump up the monthly consumption with a limited cap that is already placed on the package subscribed: eg. extreme-i

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
While Shaw does do bulk accounts, they have always required separate accounts for situations such as basement suites. Your landlord has no authority to resell you his or her Shaw service and is in breach of the terms of his or her agreement with Shaw.

If your landlord has agreed to provide you with cable/internet through Shaw, then you have every right to expect him to pay your monthly Shaw bill within reason ("internet" would not be reasonably interpreted to include "X-treme" or "Nitro").

·
Registered
877 Posts
To play devil's advocate here, I know of no practical way for Shaw to find out that you're sharing your internet connection with your landlord, since all internet traffic goes through a single modem.

My memory is foggy on TV technology. Last I had a TV, I was required to pay extra for extra TVs. I believe that if your landlord has installed an illegal splitter for TV, they can detect that, though I can't exactly remember how. (Can anyone enlighten me?)

The bottom line is, and this applies not only to this discussion, get everything that your landlord promises you in writing. If you have a contract with your landlord that says he has to provide you with Cable TV, then there's no surprise expenses for you a few months down the road if he is indeed doing it illegally.

m.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I believe that if your landlord has installed an illegal splitter for TV, they can detect that, though I can't exactly remember how. (Can anyone enlighten me?)
my dad has 13 TVs and more outlets than TVs, running a ton of splitters and a booster, had that for years, shaw didn't say anything till he got digital cable and his 5 boxes weren't responding,

shaw guy came, ran dedicated lines for the digital boxes, and put the rest of the tv's back through his boosters and spliters,

with that said, when I moved shaw guy came to my new place and disconnected all the extra outlets, told me I couldn't have them, my house was only supposed to have 4 connections,

·
Registered
520 Posts
See, I'm pretty sure any service provider will install service on the first four televisions for free, and charge a fee for each additional connection after that. BUT that doesn't mean he's supposed to disconnect what's already connected.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Shaw provides Customers with decent quality splitters (just go to one of there centers and ask for whatever you need) as they got far too many trouble calls with folk putting junk devices in line. They can only tell how many digital boxes are connected => not TVs.

I expect Rachel will get the services just fine once she moves in. But If she really wants a deal try MagicJack for a land phone line. I've heard if you've got a decent high speed connection it works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts