Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

601 - 607 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vancouver, over 120miles range antenna

Hi,

I live in Burnaby and I have set up an antenna getting pretty much all the close by channels with the exception of the channel 24 (28.1) which is weather dependent. I didn't put much effort but I think I got lucky since live on top of a hill and close to mount Seymour.

I used a splitter, I have 2 TVs but not sure if I picked the right one. Its a powerpass ideal 5Mghz to 2,4Ghz, has one In and 2 Outs.

Also I had an indoor RCA antenna from which I took the amplifier and used it for the outdoor one. Did I mess it up this way or it should work?

I was wondering if I could get more channels if I added another antenna, I am looking for the Seattle ones but from the TVfool report they seem to be far, around 120 mile distance. What antenna and amplifier do i need?

TV Fool

Thanks and sorry If I did anything wrong, I am just a rookie:)

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Hello, Piklishi; welcome to the forum

Thanks and sorry If I did anything wrong, I am just a rookie
You doing OK, we all start as a beginner.

There is a problem with your images; they don't show because part of the link is missing. I copied them, edited them and now show them here:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I used a splitter, I have 2 TVs but not sure if I picked the right one. Its a powerpass ideal 5Mghz to 2,4Ghz, has one In and 2 Outs.
If a splitter is after the preamp power inserter, you can use an ordinary splitter or a power passing splitter. If a splitter is between a preamp at the antenna and its power inserter down below, then you must use a power passing splitter. An ordinary splitter would keep the power from getting up to the amp.
Also I had an indoor RCA antenna from which I took the amplifier and used it for the outdoor one. Did I mess it up this way or it should work?
I don't think you messed it up, but a conventional preamp works better when it is up near the antenna with its power inserter down below. That way, the signals are amplified BEFORE they come down the coax.

I see in the third photo you are using RG59 coax. RG6 has less loss, especially for UHF signals.
I was wondering if I could get more channels if I added another antenna, I am looking for the Seattle ones but from the TVfool report they seem to be far, around 120 mile distance. What antenna and amplifier do i need?
The problem with that distance is the curvature of the earth blocks the signal.

Here is the terrain profile for KCPQ Fox. Your antenna is at the right end. The black arc at the bottom of the profile is the curvature of the earth. It would be difficult to receive it, but maybe not impossible. Blue is weak, purple is weaker, no color is dead zone.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d60ed05b11af5f0%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d15

Thank you for the TVFool report and the interesting photos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you rabbit73 for your detailed replies and for properly displaying the images. Sorry didn't have time to write earlier. Just a few questions on the topic above since I would like to try the antenna that you suggested:
a) which amplifier you'd you recommend?
b)if I will have 2 antennas is there any amplifier that it will bring 1 cable down before it goes to the splitter?
c)whats a low db power passing splitter so i don't loose much signal?

Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
a) which amplifier you'd you recommend?
Antennas Direct Juice
Channel Master 7778
Channel Master 7777HD/Amplify; has HI and LO gain button on amp
RCA TVPRAMP1R; inexpensive but has quality control problems; has separate inputs for UHF and VHF antennas which avoids the need for a UVSJ UHF-VHF combiner
b)if I will have 2 antennas is there any amplifier that it will bring 1 cable down before it goes to the splitter?
If you have a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna, they can be combined with a UVSJ before the amp that is near the antennas.
c)whats a low db power passing splitter so i don't loose much signal?
All 2-way splitters have about the same signal loss of 3.5 dB; 3 dB for dividing the signal in half plus 0.5 dB for the internal splitter loss.

You don't need to be too concerned about the minor differences in splitter loss, because the preamp will amplify the signals BEFORE the splitter and coax downlead loss.

If you are going to use a power passing splitter because you want to split between the preamp at the antenna and the power inserter inside, I'm concerned about the DC voltage drop in the splitter and how the DC is wired inside. I try to split after the power inserter whenever possible. Your splitter is the IDEAL 85-332:

I think it uses internal steering diodes so that the DC voltage will only go to the preamp and not to the other TV antenna input. I will need to buy one and measure it to confirm that. Other power passing splitters use an internal blocking capacitor, and others have a direct DC connection that requires an external DC block to keep the DC out of the other TV. You can understand my caution.

Since your splitter has an internal diode, there will be a voltage drop of about 0.6V, so you probably should not use the CM 7777HD preamp because it uses 5VDC that shouldn't drop below 4 VDC. There will also be a voltage drop in the coax.

I suggest you make a test just with the VHF antenna and a preamp connected to the power inserter and one TV, without the splitter, to see if you can receive KCPQ.

You need to know that the UVSJ will block any VHF signals coming from the UHF 4-bay antenna.

Code:
[B]SPACER
USING A POWER PASSING SPLITTER 

UHF Ant >                          coax > TV 1
         \                 power   /
         UVSJ > preamp > splitter > 
         /                 pass    \
VHF Ant >                          coax > power > TV 2
                                         inserter
SPACER[/B]
Code:
[B]SPACER
USING AN ORDINARY SPLITTER

UHF Ant >                                          TV 1
         \                                        /
         UVSJ > preamp > coax > power > splitter > 
         /                     inserter           \
VHF Ant >                                          TV 2
SPACER[/B]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Out of curiosity how has the signal for CBC English (CBUT-DT) moving to Ch 35 impacted you? Has the signal strength gone up, down or stayed the same?

601 - 607 of 607 Posts