Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

581 - 600 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best Indoor antenna for $12

I live in Coquitlam

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Coquitlam,+BC,+Canada/@49.2505401,-122.8643652,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x54867867da023de3:0x3ac80ce3ad66dbdf!8m2!3d49.2505401!4d-122.8621765?hl=en

I have tried many indoor antennas, like the Moho leaf, Winegards, and Terks, which only managed to pick up a couple channels. When I got the RCA 1050 for $12 at princess auto it worked the best for me:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-ANT1052F-Flat-Antenna/36606756

Mounted antenna on my patio glass door which is pointed NW or 330 degrees. Got the following channels:

6-1 - Check DT
8-1 - Chan DT 1080p
8-3 - Chan DT 480p
12-1 - Me TV
12-2 - Movies!
12-3 - H&I
12-4 - METV-CA
17-1 - CIVI-2
24-1 - KBCB
24-2 - JTV
32-1 - CIVT-DT
42-1 -CHNM-DT

All channels have strong signals

·
Registered
471 Posts
I used a Terk Silver Sensor clone antenna (looks like a mini outdoor antenna on a stand) with an amplifier and received 19 channels when pointed in the best location (I also had an unamplified silver sensor clone and received the same number of channels). You seem to be missing 2-1 (CBC),10-1 (City), 19-1, 19-2 (religious and Jewelry channels),26-1 (French CBC), Joy tv 66-1 (mostly religious), and there should be four channels with 24-1,2,3,4. I used to live on Sprice Avenue near Como Lake, just over the hill from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
s40

I tried the amplified Terk from the source. I also tried an amplified Winegard and a mohu leaf but these antennas didn't work as well as the RCA 1050. I can't get any signal for 2-1, 66-1, 26-1, and for some reason the 24-1 is the religious channel and 24-2 is the Jewelry channel. On occasion I can get 10-1 and PBS if the weather is clear and I move the antenna where the signal is strong.

I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment facing north. I do have trees and a 3 storey apartment blocking my line of site to the transmission towers. Can you post a link of the Terk silver sensor clone you are using? Also post a link to the amplifier as well?

Can any one suggest a better setup to receive more channels?

·
Registered
471 Posts
On the box it is called an HDTVa ANTENNA PRO by TERK. You may try putting your antenna on the balcony to see if more of the Mount Seymour channels (like CBC, 2-1) come in. I bought it on sale at Princess Auto, but they haven't had any more in for a while (they were reconditioned, but only cost $29.99).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My son recently gave me an old indoor amplified RCA Model Ant.1250. This unit is really amazing! It brings in crisp HD that is way better than what I receive from Shaw Cable. Our condo is on Burnaby's South Slope and we live on the 12th floor of the SW corner. I have a direct line of sight to Mt.Seymour from a window that faces the North Shore.
So far, I can receive the following Metro Vancouver channels:CBC43, Global22, City33, and CBC (F)26. It also receives three KVOS Me TV channels from Bellingham which is due south from our location. I think I must be getting a reflected signal from a line of high-rise buildings up on Kingsway. I'm kind of disappointed that I can't get CTV32 which also has its transmitter on Mt.Seymour. If I could move the antenna more to the left, I think I could probably receive it but unfortunately it's right up against an inside wall and can't be moved.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Wondering why I can't get CTV32, anymore.
When we first moved into our condo ten years ago, I could receive CTV32 plus all the local channels using a Philips Indoor amplified antenna. After putting it away in our storage locker, I decided to get it out to see if there were any changes in what it could pick up. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate the 12v voltage regulator so my son gave me his RCA unit. Since then, I've found the regulator. The problem is: Neither one can receive CTV32 and I'm wondering if they've changed their OTA frequency or location of their transmitter?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I get a good signal from CTV 32 in Coquitlam. Have you tried holding the antenna out of the window while pointing at Mt Seymour, and if you get it then, moving the antenna around inside to see if you have a good spot for CTV?
I have also suddenly picked up a second channel on 6.1 (Samsung seems to allow two 6.1s), it is a Global hd signal from somewhere, anyone know where it is coming from? I still get it on 8.1 in hd so it isn't that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion, s40! Unfortunately, the only window opening is quite a long length away from the TV set and the 12v adapter cord is far too short. BTW Could you explain what 6.1 and 8.1 numbers mean? Are they channel numbers? I don't have any numbers on either the Philips or the RCA. The one I'm currently using is the RCA and all it has are two dials: One is for VHF and the other is for UHF.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When you pick up a channel over the air, your tv will change the number of the channel to a number most people remember from before digital days. CHAN (Global) used to broadcast on channel 8. When digital came along, you could put more than one channel on channel 8 so a decimal point was added. The actual broadcast number is 22, when most tv's receive it, that channel will come up as 8.1. Some channels have repeater channels to cover areas where the original broadcast can't be received, they come up with a different number. I was referring in my previous post of getting a second high definition signal for Global on 6.1 and was wondering where it was broadcast from. If you get Bellingham's channel MeTV, it will appear as 12.1, and it has two sister channels, 12.2 (called Movies), and 12.3 which comes up as H&I (Heroes and Icons) as well as a blank channel 12.4. All on the one transmitter and same frequency (I think it is actually broadcast on 39, but I don't have my over the air channel chart handy). It is called remapping the channel numbers.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks for the info, s40! I guess that when I was receiving CTV ten years ago I was getting the analogue version and since then, they have gone digital and maybe that's why I'm having trouble receiving the signal.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you can tune in stations manually there are a number of local stations available. From Bellingham other than KVOS (channel 35, remaps to 12.1,.2,.3 my post above was wrong number)you could also try for KBCB (religious and shopping channels) on 19-comes up as 24.1and 24.2, KBTC (PBS and 3 other channels) on 24-remaps to 28.1,.2,.3,.4 and you should be able to get CHEK from Victoria on 49-remaps to 6.1. with the antenna pointed south, In Vancouver other than what you already get you could get CHNU,JOY 47 comes up as 66.1 point antenna east; From Mt Seymour CHNM, OMNI 20 remaps to 42.1; CIVI, CTV2 on 17 remaps to 17.1; And CIVT, CTV on 32, remaps to 32.1. The other channels you mentioned CKVU, CITY 33, remaps to 10.1, CBUT, CBC 43, remaps to 2.1, CBUFT (French CBC) 26, remaps to 26.1; also Mt. Seymour.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My sister-in-law in Vancouver scanned in her channels with the indoor antenna and got about a dozen local channels. Then she went away on holidays and unplugged the TV. She wondered why she could only get 2 channels when she returned. You have to re-scan if you want the TV to find the channels if you've lost them in memory. Could that be the case?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Yes, it could be, but the TV should have held the original channels in memory. Rescanning will tell you more.

If it is still only 2 after rescanning, something else is wrong.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Seeing as it was an indoor antenna could it be that when she scanned originally she was experiencing optimal reception conditions and things are normal now and those extra channels are not coming in. Maybe try re-positioning the antenna in combination of a rescan or two.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is one of her channels a Mt Seymour Channel? If so she could try moving the antenna around with the signal strength meter on, find the best strength and try re scanning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's one of those silver sensor I got her from the Source. 4th floor of an apartment building. Gets local channels, Chan 6 and the Bellingham stations. Not wanting to pay for cablevision when she's out of town a l, that about the best she can expect with LG Smart TV. I don't know about the "smart" bit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Update

Last week I picked up a "RCA Air Amplified" antenna from The Source for $79.99+tax. I can receive seven crystal clear local HD channels plus two from Victoria. It also can get the three standard TV Bellingham Me channels. I have it aimed directly at Mt.Seymour which is north of our condo yet it can get Bellingham and the two Victoria channels, which are south of our building, without having to move it!

The best part about it is, you don't have to keep moving it around as I had to do with the other two antennas that I have to pick up the available channels. My wife thought it was a little pricey for a 13" X 11.25" piece of plastic but I told her it was what I wanted for my birthday and it's the technology that's in it that you are paying for.

479.99 pl

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Brentwood and installed a OTA antenna that is only a coax cable (non-amplified) sticking in the air, at chimney height. To get the signals, I took off about 3" of the sheath and have only bare wire at the end. Yes, I only get 2 HD channels (CBC and CTV) and 3 channels from Bellingham, but it is good enough for me. I just wanted to be able to watch HNIC when the season is on.

It works for me, it looks ghetto, but it is free.

Thanks everyone here for the help and TVFool too!

581 - 600 of 607 Posts