Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks stampeder.

It's low to the ground and facing east.
It is on the north side of Kingsway and Mt. Seymour is in its line of sight.
Would an indoor antenna, the one used by Rembb, work or do I need an outdoor one? Thanks again.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Line of sight to Mt. Seymour is a great thing! A roof mounted outdoor antenna like a Channel Master 4221, Wade 1483, Winegard PR4400, or Winegard Square Shooter would be the absolute best solution for you, but I think you'll do okay with an indoor. For the present digital stations (CBUT-DT and CIVT-DT) you could use a Zenith Silver Sensor (or clone) indoor antenna.

You would need to put your new antenna facing directly at Mt. Seymour and then with the TV tuned to those stations just move it around a bit until its perfect. The problem with using an indoor antenna on the ground floor is whether a person walking by would block the signals during your favourite show, just as you are about to find out who the murderer is! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Burnaby, Lake City - No CBC HD on 58-8 and CIVIDT on 32-1

My location is in the shadow of Burnaby Mountain. As I was expecting, I wasn't able to rx any reception from the Mt. Seymour HD tx towers. I'm using an Audiovox Terk HDTVi http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14122&langId=-1 that was bought at London Drugs. I even placed the Terk outside pointing northwards, but, that didn't help.

On my Sanyo HDTV (with built in ATSC tuner), scanning for new digital sources shows the scanning 'slow down' on 33 and 58, but, never selects it as a channel. My guess is because the signal is too weak. But, if I point the Terk south, I do receive KBCB-DT on 24.

Would the installation of a Channel Master 4228 or Winegard PR8800 help in rx'ing CBC or CIVI? Would either of these antennas enable me to rx any of the Seattle station if I pointed it southward?

Because the towers are essentially north or south of me, I would likely want to mount these flat UHF antennas on the side of the house instead of a tower.

Thanks

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
growler said:
Would the installation of a Channel Master 4228 or Winegard PR8800 help in rx'ing CBC or CIVI? Would either of these antennas enable me to rx any of the Seattle station if I pointed it southward?
Its possible that either of those 8-bay antennas might have the scatter-gathering capability to get a lock for you, but do you have a signal meter on your HDTV's tuner? If so, what is the reading for CBUT-DT and CIVT-DT?

If there's a good reading but no lock, I'd try with the CM4228 because of its VHF capabilities too while those old analogues still exist. If there's a poor reading, there's probably no way for you to get them OTA. If you PM a pro like 4DTV_HD he can probably do a site evaluation for you with his pro testing gear and antennas.

Regarding SeaTac stations, from where you are in Burnaby unless you have a stacked pair of CM4228s with a preamplifier mounted up high you probably won't get them reliably, but keep in mind that the Bellingham repeaters under construction should be up in 2006 or 2007 and you probably will not need a preamp on a single CM4228 to get those.

·
Registered
14 Posts
stampeder said:
Its possible that either of those 8-bay antennas might have the scatter-gathering capability to get a lock for you, but do you have a signal meter on your HDTV's tuner? If so, what is the reading for CBUT-DT and CIVT-DT?
Unfortunately, my Sanyo HT30744 TV doesn't show signal strength unless the signal is locked in. So, I don't even know what the strength is for those two channels. And, it's not a % reading but a bar indicating strength.

I suppose I can gamble and purchase an 8-bay antenna and give it a go. But I'm beginning to feel that I'll need to go through either a Shaw or one of the satellite providers inorder to rx HDTV content.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Burnaby beside Lougheed Mall

I'm in the same area, I live in the towers beside Lougheed Mall, ground elevation is 185ft but I'm on the 11th floor facing south and west.

So far I've just tried an old RCA UHF amplified loop antenna and I can pick up KBCB easily. I'm using the tuner in my Acer AT3705 LCD-TV, it unfortunately doesn't seem to give me a strength or even tell me what the true channel number is. KBCB is @ 23% though the channel scan, it also pauses for a long time at 44% and 47%, I think one of those is KVOS though, because once i hit a sweet spot and it displayed "35-12" in the guide, but wouldn't tune in after that.

If I stick my head outside the west window and look around, I can see Burnaby Mountain blocking my view to Seymour, but I have a pretty clear view to the south and since KBCB comes in easily I think I'll be able to pick up the new channels coming off Orcas Island when they're up.

I guess Canadian HD is out for me, unless I'm able to pick up something from Victoria when their towers are up, if they're strong enough. Even if I were line-of-sight to Seymour, would I be able to get a signal with two other condos and three concrete walls in the way?

Do you think it's worth trying a silver sensor clone? Dell.ca has the Philips amplified model for $29 free shipping ... I'm in a condo and already have a dish, so I don't want to push my luck with a big antenna, but I could probably have a sharp shooter or one of the square shooters on my balcony -- Radio Shack US site has what looks like a small version of the square shooter (DA-5200) on their site as well, but I haven't found an review of it yet. I could try a CM4228 or 4221 in a closet or something, but I'd guess that wouldn't be so effective ...

I should try my luck with analog channels, I suppose, just as a reference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, I tried analog ... 24 KBCB and 12 KVOS come in perfectly clear. 17 CIVI and 26 CBUBT show up garbled with the amp turned on and aren't there with the antenna's amp off, 42 Channel M is totally unwatchable, and 32 CTV is almost but not quite watchable if I place the antenna in a sweet spot. So if the locals DTs ever boost their power to something decent, I might be in luck :)

Oh, and CHEK 6 is almost watchable as well, so there's hope from the third set of towers near the island.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CBC and CTV DT Success In Burnaby With The Right Antenna

growler said:
My location is in the shadow of Burnaby Mountain. As I was expecting, I wasn't able to rx any reception from the Mt. Seymour HD tx towers... ...Would the installation of a Channel Master 4228 or Winegard PR8800 help in rx'ing CBC or CIVI? Would either of these antennas enable me to rx any of the Seattle station if I pointed it southward?
I purchased a Winegard PR8800 UHF antenna and mounted it on the north side of the house. I can partially see the east side of Burnaby Mountain so no trees or houses blocking the line of sight to Burnaby Mountain. If Burnaby Mountain wasn't in the way, I would have a clear line of sight to Seymour. Anyways, after connecting the antenna via a 50' RG59 cheap dollar store cable, I now receive both CBUT-DT(CBC HD) on 58 and CIVT-DT(CVT HD) on 33. :D I was very surprised about receiving CTV considering the transmission power is low.

My Sanyo tv doesn't have a % reading but a bar graph. With CBC, I'm about 2/3 of the full bar and with CTV it fluctuates between 1/4 - 1/3 of the full bar. In the few minutes that I was watching CTV, I didn't see any freezing in the transmission. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that. Bringing the antenna inside the house, I could not get CBC to even display. So, I don't think I'll be mounting the antenna in the attic.

So, it's possible for at least people in my area (Forest Hill, Burnaby) to receive over the air ATSC transmission from Seymour Mountain if you have the appropriate antenna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
North Burnaby

Hi all,

I got a new HDTV set with an ATSC tuner, so I thought I'd try to some OTA tv. I live in the North Burnaby area and have line of sight to mt. seymour. I first got an indoor Nexxtech amplified antenna and got nothing. I then tried the RCA ANT711 and can only get CBC reliably. CTV cuts in and out (mostly out).

My question is: Do I need a more powerful antenna mounted on my roof in order to get a better signal (especially CTV)? Or is it just not worth it?

Also, where can I get a better antenna locally?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
ZSS clone fixes the CTV problem

Just an update. I returned the two antennas and got a Terk HDTVi antenna from London Drugs (this is the only antenna I could get a hold of... a silver sensor clone).

My TV is in the basement and I plugged in the antenna next to the TV. To my surprise, both CBC and CTV came in nice and clear (very minor signal drop on CTV). So I guess the antenna makes a difference.

I must say... getting HDTV OTA is really something... I'll never look at TV the same way again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Burnaby Mountain Results

Hi All,

I just bought a CM4228 and received the following in HDTV with absolutley no dropouts (antenna is indoors facing south in a condo):

4.1 ABC
5.1 NBC
7.1 CBS
11.1 CW
13.1 FOX

Still can't receive CBC or CTV from up here, there is no line of sight to Mt. Seymour.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's very good reception Hamann, especially getting 4.1 ABC which I only receive when tropo is right.
Just wondering what ATSC tuner you're using and do you have a preamp with the 4228?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My ATSC tuner is built into the TV, Samsung LCD LNS-4051D. There is no preamp, just CM4228 straight into the TV tuner.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CTV, CBC, Global, Channel M, and a few other analogue and digital TV stations all broadcast from Mt. Seymour. CITY broadcasts from Salt Spring Island. CHEK broadcasts from Victoria.

·
Registered
21 Posts
stampeder,

I can pickup all major U.S. HD channels from my place on Burnaby Mountain (top floor of condo facing south/west) with a CM4228 and Samsung TV built in ATSC tuner. I don't get anything for CBC/CTV in HD. Any suggestions?

thanks.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
hamann, are you in a signal shadow area in which there is no direct line-of-sight to Mt. Seymour due to Burnaby Mountain? Some people over in Coquitlam/PoCo have a similar problem, and people in SeaTac are really vulnerable to that for their local OTA stations. Could that be the issue?

41 - 60 of 607 Posts