561 - 580 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
notch filters ~ from TIN LEE

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started testing last week out of curiosity...i have ideal location, probably best in City of Metro Vancouver

im on West side of Capitol Hill in burnaby ( at the highest altitude ) , have clear line of sight towards Seymour, Vancouver Island and Bellingham...i can get all the channels minus KCPQ with a little adjustment of $5 indoor antenna on North Wall

On South Wall i have to point North West towards Northern Vancouver Island to get any type of signal, and at most can get 3 channels at a time...what the heck? Theres nothing blocking me!!!!

What could be dropping the signal so much? Theres only 25' between both TV locations..same side of house.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
With a recommended indoor antenna any station on that list marked "LOS" should be possible for you depending on whether the superstructure of the building itself is in the way. For example, when you put your antenna on the north wall the Mt. Seymour stations to the north are a lock because the building is southwards of the antenna and so does not attenuate the signals.

We need some clearer info about your south wall. If there was nothing but clear space beyond your south wall you should be getting the Victoria and Bellingham stations with no trouble. But, is your south wall adjoining more of the building itself, such as elevator shafts and/or other residences?

Keep in mind that stations marked 1EDGE are unlikely, but 2EDGE would be out of the question.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is nothing behind the south wall, its clear line of sight from that corner..2x4 wood frame plus stucco.

After further googling i am probably getting interference from the electronic components in the same are ( Chromecast, HDPVR and Centre channel are also behind the TV)---or could it be the TV itself? Have seen many youtube videos of people placing antennas behind the TV with success though.

Now if I mount an external Antenna, i should get all the locals plus Bellingham and Vancouver Island rather easily according to many posters in this thread.

But realistically, what are the chances that i could pick up Seattle stations approx 120 miles away? ...again, i have clear line of sight, but that still is a long distance.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=2c1503bd1deb4f

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Realistically, the Seattle/Tacoma stations would be seasonal at best. You might get one or two reliably all the time, but that's about it. The Bellingham and Victoria signals should be fine where you are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

This is my TV FOOL report link:
TV Fool

I live in one of the apartments next to the Lougheed Mall in Burnaby, BC. I'm on the 11th floor facing north. So basically I don't have any buildings or trees in front of me but I am facing Burnaby Mountain and from what I've read in this thread, it's not a good thing. I want to buy an OTA TV antenna to use with my Sony Smart TV.

I'd appreciate it if someone would kindly take the time and help me choose the right indoor antenna.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to live in a 5th floor of an apartment closed to Lougheed Mall facing West few years ago, but my balcony had a metal storage box which can made my Antenna (a flat indoor antenna with an amp bought from L.D. in Lougheed Mall [I forgot what brand it is, but I think it's still there] ) to sit there and I used to have a good time to enjoy KVOS and some stations from Mt. Seymore (After the digital-switch of OTA station: CBC, Global, CTV and CTV2 are both OK, Radio-Canada is a hit-and-miss and I rarely get a clear picture of City and OMNI: I still remember I have a few seconds ahead of Shaw viewers (a few more for those who use Telus) to see the OT goal in Game 2 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final on CBC) It was not until my roommate left and I need to find somewhere else to live and I decided to get cable rather then OTA in my new house.

·
Registered
544 Posts
LadySam, I can recommend the Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna. If you point it N/W you should get all the locals; I'm surprised TV Fool shows them as 1edge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reception in Coquitlam

Hi,

I live in Coquitlam and recently purchased the Antennas Direct ClearStream Antenna (C2-V-CJM-CN) with a stated range of 80 Km. I find that I receive most of the channels listed as green in my TV Foll report including two KVOS channels - 12.1 MeTV and 12.2 The Movies Network. Unfortunately, I do not receive the 28.1 PBS channel even though it is in the same direction and about the same distance as the two KVOS channels. Can 0.1 of a mile make that much of a difference in terms of reception (i.e. 39.9 vs 40.0)? Can anyone offer me any tips on antenna positioning that might help with being able to watch PBS?

I currently have the antenna placed indoors, on the north side of my house. The signal does have to pass through four wooden walls to get to the antenna, but I do get the KVOS channels.

TV Fool Report

Thanks in advance of any tips!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi Avala, without getting into how TVFool works, you can see that the NM value of KVOS is much higher than for the PBS repeater. Higher is better. In your case, the PBS station just doesn't make a good match with your antenna and your situation. If mounting it outdoors isn't an option, a 4-bay antenna might do the trick for the PBS station.

Coquitlam is huge and hilly with widely differing reception patterns - what is your nearest major street corner and/or the name of your neighbourhood? Unfortunately the postal code on your TVFool report corresponds to Burnaby, so did you make a mistake on that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reception in Coquitlam

Thanks for you response stampeder.

I did make a mistake when entering my postal code, but it does not seem to make a difference in my TV Fool report TV Fool most likely because I entered my exact address when generating it.

The closest major street corner to me is Foster and Blue Mountain; I am about two streets east and one street north from the Vancouver Golf Club in Coquitlam. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Th...2!3m1!1s0x5486784149d54f97:0x79147a316414dd75

Mounting outdoors is an option, but I would prefer not to have to drill through my walls or my window frame in order to connect the antenna to my TV. Do you think that mounting outside would solve my issue? I get all of the local stations without a problem regardless of where my antenna is pointed so if I installing outside pointing south is likely to work I would certainly consider doing it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The reception from on the hill in a high rise in central-west Coquitlam is strange these days, I don't know if it is because of the high rises going up in Surrey's Whalley area, but where as all winter I got Kiro reliably, now I very rarely get it, but I get Komo with drop outs most of the time (with associated .1 and .2 channels) all summer. The only really reliable Seattle area station I get is KCPQ Tacoma, Fox and it's two associated channels. I know I am lucky as I use an amplified Terk Silver Sensor clone with amplifier on, on my south facing balcony when trying for US stations. I did try using a 4228 Channel Master on a wooden pole for awhile, but the only additional channels I got reliably then was the 5 tbn stations that were all religion (and I know my strata would not like me to leave the big antenna there). I get around 19 when pointed south which are US stations ,with the exception of 6 Victoria and 66.1 Joy (4.1,.2,.3-6.1-12.1,.2,.3,-13.1,.2,.3,-24.1,.2-28.1,.2,.3,.4,-66.1 there is a 12.4, but there is nothing on that anymore) and I can't think of the 19th station. I get all the local stations, Bellingham and Victoria when pointed west, (even indoors-where I lose the further Seattle area stations).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Does anyone have problem receiving CTV 2 (CIVI-DT-2) 17.1 over the last few days? I used to be able to get the channel without any issue but it's now gone since yesterday. Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had to repoint my antenna a little to get it so I think the weather is affecting the signal. I did get a reliable signal when I moved my terk silver sensor clone antenna a little. I have one sweet spot where I get 18 local signals, but occasionally this channel is affected by the weather (also 26.1 CBUF, which I don't watch since I don't speak French well enough).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm thinking taking the plunge and cutting the cord and am curious about my TV Fool report. I live in Coquitlam near Poirier Rec Centre /Centennial High School. I'm wanting to use a roof mounted antenna like a Channel Master 4228HD or make something similar. Am I being overly optimistic on receiving major US channels? It looks like I can get PBS. Would 2 antennas stacked work better (2x 4221HD)? One towards Seymour and the other South?

Thanks

http://www.tvfool.com

·
Registered
473 Posts
With a little luck you possibly could get KCPQ 13 which is Fox. Your PBS is probably KBTC which is out of Bellingham on a repeater. I am not far away in a highrise near the top, but when I lived in a house on Sprice Avenue I could get Fox with a good antenna. In the highrise I can get FOX and its two sub channels and usually also get KOMO, last year I only got KIRO and Fox, but this year KOMO seems to come in with it's two subchannels, and KIRO doesn't - it may be those highrises in Surrey are affecting my reception. KOMO does drop out at times. I also think it depends how far down the hill you are from Foster avenue as to which channels you get. You should get 18 channels if your antenna is pointed right, but those are all local or from Bellingham, including CHEK 6 Victoria (I got those with a small Silver Sensor Clone-a Terk-on Sprice ave.) also keep in mind that the 4228 channel master is much narrower in reception, and could cause you to lose some of the local channels but gives you more strength in the main aim.

561 - 580 of 607 Posts