Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

541 - 560 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
With one CM 4228 aimed at 180 degrees south and 20 ft above ground, get 18 local channels. Channel 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 only come in at 25-43 out of 100 on my Sony. No signal lock. Will try going up 5 feet when weather better and try a preamp. Max Huey, still getting Seattle on your modified amplified super antenna? Anyone able to get Seattle or Tacoma in my area Foster and Robinson Coquitlam? What equipment and how high?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anthony,

I live in PoCo and tried that with a 4bay antenna which did not work for me. I am going to buy a 8bay in a month or so and try again.

Just one question, with your CM 4228, are you able to pick up CHNU (66.1), KCPQ - FoX 13 (13.1) or KZJO (22.1)?

I looked up your TV fool report and these channels don't seem to be too weak for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Poco39, on my Sony, 66.1 scores 0/100, 11.1 and 13.1 score 25 to 33.9 and no channel lock on either. I receive 22.1 Global at 92/100, not KZJO. antenna aimed at 180

·
Registered
469 Posts
To get Joy TV you need to point your antenna due east, I only get it when I turn it around (66.1 - but it is not my cup of tea), and I live not too far from Foster and Robinson-just up the hill a little, but my antenna is only a non amplified Silver Sensor clone.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the posts and long term effort on this OTA Forum. I'm fascinated by this tech but unfortunately I think we have to remain on Shaw Cable even though the costs are silly. I certainly wish / hope OTA will work here => as I've got an area where I can tinker with it, to find out one way or another.

(My wife thinks Dishes are ugly so that's not really a serious option - and besides the costs are similar to Cable. I've learned a lot on Sat stuff from the folks here at Digital Forum, at least enough to become quite competent with both Bell & Shaw's systems. I've put up a few of them to help my friends and family - and some were pretty tough installs.)

In OTA I tinkered with a Coat Hanger Antenna (with a reflector) a few years ago (just for grins), when my son moved out and couldn't afford Cable in his basement suite. It was better than nothing. I tested it here at home (Canyon Springs in Coquitlam - 2 blocks west of the Pinetree Fire Hall) but could only pick up a couple US stations => but that was enough proof that it did something before setting it up at his place.

I'd like to try OTA again for home, but what I've read so far is it doesn't seem promising. (It looks like I'm in the shadow of Eagle Mountain and the Coquitlam Ridge may also be in play...)

My TV Fools info is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b9444baab4c26

Can one of you Gurus please comment on what I could reasonably expect?

Now fast forwarding a couple of years, our son is married ,and they live in a basement suite in Port Moody (the financial situation has not really improved) so I'm anticipating they'll soon cancel their Cable in order to save $$ as another Baby is on the way... (they got a smoking hot deal on Shaw Cable for a few months when they moved)

Their TV Fools info is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b945fcc9d6b5f

But their geography is really challenging too. They are near the bottom of Gatensbury Road right up against Coquitlam Ridge with trees all around them when looking north / north west.

Anyway, thinking ahead I thought it would be cool to build / buy them an antenna so they could at least grab some local channels when they have to cut the cord. But am I deluding myself? Please advise.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
A proper UHF antenna on your roof might be able to get the local Vancouver stations most of the time. An indoor antenna will get most of the Olympia Island US stations, plus CHNU.

Your son's case is the opposite - he can get all the Vancouver stations, but no chance at Bellingham or Victoria.

·
Registered
30 Posts
in addition to OTA...

I had recently purchased a tiny satellite receiver with a funny name - Openbox - I don't know why maybe it is used? this box runs on Linux and about 1/4 the size of my DVB satellite receiver. Hooked to my 8' dish, I only had to point to 107.2 W satellite to get all the Canadian HD channels across the country in glorious first generation High Definition (yes, it is really better than OTA signal). If I move the dish to 99 W satellite, I get most of US channels and more, just no CBS. This is a compliment my OTA reception as we are totally blocked on the north side so can not receive any signal from Mount Seymour.

I guess this new found source is going to delay my GH antenna project even though I already have all the parts...LOL

You all need to make your own GH antenna, its simple to make and works real well than any other antenna out there...

·
Registered
707 Posts
maxhuey,

That's an interesting approach. Are these birds open and not scrambled?

One of my Brothers has gone with ShawDirect and gave me his FTA gear. The gear is ~24 inch elliptical (24" X 18") dish with a 4 position yoke => 91°, 101°, 110°, 119°. The first 3 locations are filled with a Cal Amp Ku LNBFs (part number 150517). These are dual output LNBs, but only one side has a cable connected to it on each LNB going to the Switch. The Switch is a SonicView4X1 DISEqC Switch with 4 inputs (one open) and a single output to the SonicView SV-360 Premier Receiver. The other side of the LNB is not terminated and left open (?).

I wonder if this setup be used with a different yoke to get 99° & 107° ? As there is only 8°or separation maybe I can just jury rig the 101°, 110° (8°) to work. I'd like the install (if I go ahead with it) to be rock solid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
don't waste you time on those vintage gears, they need pirating to watch anything and pirating is not worth the trouble besides illegal.

Most of the HD channels are on C Band, not KU band so you will need a big dish of at least 8'.

These HD channels are not scrambled but you do need HD receiver that can decode the S2 compression.

SV - Sonicview is no longer in business, so are many of the FTA barnds from just a few years ago, all outdated by technology.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OTA DTV reception results in New West / Sapperton - FEBRUARY 2014

CM 4220 2-bay antenna results in New Westminster / Sapperton from second storey interior - http://g.co/maps/u8y33

DIGITAL
2.1 CBUT-DT / CBC
6.1 CHEK-DT / Independent
8.1 CHAN-DT / Global
10.1 CKVU-DT / Citytv
12.1 KVOS-DT / MeTV
12.2 KVOS-DT / Movies! | TheCoolTV
12.3 KVOS-DT / Sur Sagar TV
17.1 CIVI-DT / CTV Two
24.1 KBCB-DT / ShopHQ HD
24.2 KBCB-DT / Estrella TV
24.3 KBCB-DT / ShopHQ SD
26.1 CBUFT-DT / Radio-Canada
28.1 K24IC-D / PBS | KBTC
28.2 K24IC-D / MHz Worldview
28.3 K24IC-D / TVW
42.1 CHNM-DT / OMNI
66.1 CHNU-DT / Joytv

NO RECEPTION
13.1 KCPQLD / FOX
32.1 CIVT-DT / CTV

With the sweet spot I have the antenna pointed at now, I get everything I've listed really well. I can get CTV 32.1, but at the cost of flakey reception for all of the other channels. I thought about combining two antennas, but this is an interior situation. Any suggestions on tackling 32.1?

I actually get a solid strong signal / lock for KCPQLD, but there is no picture. Is KCPQLD broadcasting anything?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out 12.2. Golden oldie classic movies 24/7. Frank sinatra tribune last night uncut. Same with John wayne. Some good Spanish movies on 24.2 and excellent Italian movies with English subtitles.
Anyone able to pick up 4.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 in burquitlam? I will try going up 10 feet when weather better if others having success. Darn trees at golf course. Chainsaw anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
New Westminster, BC (update to Post #550)

Okay, I'm not so crafty, but I'd love to buy a Gray-Hoverman antenna for external use. Any of you folks build 'em for sale?

I get decent reception upstairs with an interior CM 4220, but one local channel (32) is fussy. Toying with trying to deal with extremes and going for an exterior 91XG to get the Seattle market or just stick with a simple Gray-Hoverman for rock solid Metro Vancouver local reception. I guess I could also do a basic retail Hoverman G1483 from Summit Source for the local market, which I assume might be better than the CM 4220. My attitude is once something goes up, I'm sticking with it. I'm not a long-term tinkerer.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I don't think you have much of a chance to get the stations with the negative NMs with any consistency even with the 91XG or any other antenna without going to major extremes.

Your local stations are strong, so why not put the CM4220 outside and aim it 159 magnetic south ?

The G1483 has higher gain, but I think your existing CM4220 will do fine outdoors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mounting an antenna will be quite difficult because my place is a tall two-storey. I believe I need the height because of other structures and foliage. I also want something that can deal with the liquid sunshine when the American channels struggle to come in, like 24 (28.1) and 47 (66.1). I want my PBS! What I'm getting at, is since the antenna mounting will be quite the hassle, I'd like to have the best bet. Obviously I don't need anything that big since I get everything now accept 32 (32.1) with the 4220. Didn't know if I'd do much better with the commercial Hoverman (not G-H). Wish you lads built two G-H's at a time and I'd slide you a few bucks for one. ;)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I also want something that can deal with the liquid sunshine when the American channels struggle to come in, like 24 (28.1) and 47 (66.1). I want my PBS!
I didn't realize you had a problem with those two channels. Just getting the CM4220 outside and pointed south at about 130 degrees magnetic should clear up that problem and most likely the problem with 32 (which is most likely due to multipath, not lack of gain).

Because the CM4220 has relatively low gain, it has a wider beamwidth, which youll need to catch channel 47 that's off to the south east. The G1483 with higher gain or especially the 91XG with much higher gain and consequently narrower beamwidths, means that you could very likely miss channel 47.

If anything, you could build the reflectorless
GH0 here: http://clients.teksavvy.com/~nickm/gh_u/gh0_10u45.html
Its got around the same gain and beamwidth as the CM4220, but its bidirectional so it could be a bit more of a benefit for your channels that are in the green on the TVFool report.
All you have to do is bend some wires and mount it on plastic pipe, its that easy, heh. It would be cost prohibitive for me to ship to Canada, but maybe Nikiml or someone else in Canada could ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
North Burnaby east side of Capitol Hill

I'm looking for antenna positioning suggestions. Here are my details:

TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e1c69671bf8ced

I have a brick chimney whose long sides face north and south with a clear line of sight over the houses beside me, and thought of strapping a pipe or pipes to the chimney with the antenna(s) clamped to the pipe(s), allowing a little angling for aiming. Would a medium or large uhf antenna on the south side pick up enough through its back side and the chimney to work for the local transmitters on Seymour? Or should I put a second smaller antenna on the north side for the locals? I thought of the chimney because of memories of my dad's yagi howling in the wind half a century ago, and of the times we had to put the mast up again after a big wind storm. Because of the height relative to the other houses, I might be able to put a smaller antenna under the roof overhang on the north side.

Any suggestions as to choice of medium or large antenna for the US stations to the south gratefully accepted. I've read a few pages, but it could take me days to read all of them to find equivalent location results.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
DanceMan said:
Any suggestions as to choice of medium or large antenna for the US stations to the south gratefully accepted.
More than likely you'll find by testing that the Mt. Seymour signals will boom in from the back of your antenna even as it is pointed at 168 degrees SSE for the Bellingham and (hopefully) Seattle-Tacoma stations. You will want a VHF-HI/UHF combo antenna for such a situation. See the links in this post for the OTA FAQ and the Antenna Chart.
DanceMan said:
I've read a few pages, but it could take me days to read all of them to find equivalent location results
Be sure to use the Search This Thread tool (located to the upper right) and put in local street names to see reports from people nearby so that you can see what worked best/worst for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heritage mountain reception

Hi all,

Thanks for making this forum a great resource for all things OTA, been a long time reader and with OTA, we have cut our cable and saved a lot! Just want to share the reception results around heritage mountain near aspenwood.

Here's my tvfool report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d2436635beb425

I have been using a DB4e + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp on 2nd floor guest room, and feeding the signal to devices in 3 other rooms on 1st & 2nd floor. I am able to pick up all 7 local channels from Mt. Seymour + a few from the islands & Bellingham (DB4e facing 284deg mag). I could consistently pick up CH38 from Seattle if I turn the antenna to south about 152deg mag (sometimes CH25,39,44,48 on a good day), though I would lose the Canadian channels this way.

As a side note, I recently got a modded CM4221HD from a friend, so I am trying to gang the two antennas to see if I can pick up Seattle stations while keeping all Canadian channels. The two antennas are mounted on two tripods side-by-side, about 1.5m apart horizontally, joint together using same length of cables to a 2-1 splitter, then to the preamp. DB4e facing 284deg, CM4221HD facing 152deg (both have reflectors on) and placed in a way so that they don't cross the beams.

I know non-identical ganging could be tricky, and so far it has been... While I can now pick up stable CH38/39/48, I would lose CH20 & CH33 from Mt. Seymour. Any suggestions on what else to look at?

Thanks
~T.B.C

541 - 560 of 607 Posts