Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
South-East Coquitlam More updates

More updates from South-East Coquitlam... While digging through my pile of old junks, I came across an old TV booster a friend gave me more than 10 years ago. Plugin between the antenna CM4221 clone and turner, and immediately saw some improvements (antenna still facing south)

39 KIRO-DT - 70-80%, 19~22db reported by DViCO signal checking program
48 KING-DT - ~20%, 6db, cut off to 0db. no picture
38 KOMO-DT - ~20%, 6db, no picture
35 KVOS-DT - ~40%, 10db, no picture
58 CBUT-DT ~20db, 5db, cut off to 0db frequently

Granted, I still only have 2 viewable digital channels (kiro and kbcb) but I am optimistic... :D The booster is an Antenna DX ETM-201, 12~16db gain with 5~8db noise figure. With a proper CM4228, CM7775, would I be able to get the rest of the channels?

·
Registered
3 Posts
South slope area of Burnaby near New West - CBC reception problems

I can receive CTV with occasional dropouts, but am not having much luck with CBC. Was getting it with frequent dropouts on the weekend, but now cannot lock onto the signal so I do not get any picture at all.

I am in the south slope area of Burnaby close to New West so do not have line of sight to Mt. Seymour. Should I try mounting my CM4228 even higher or is CBC still just "testing" their system.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Roger, can you tell us more about your present situation: antenna height, mount, direction, tuner, etc.? I hope the south slope areas near you aren't in any sort of signal shadow!

·
Registered
92 Posts
CTV-DT Coverage & Signal Shadow Area

Looking at the signal reception posts in this forum, tends to confirm my ideas about CTV-DT coverage. My belief is that CTV-DT being low power has most of the signal directed towards Vancouver and Burnaby. I also think that viewers to the east of Burnaby Mountain (Tri-Cities, East Surrey etc.) will probably not be able to receive CTV-DT. There have been reports in this forum from West Surrey and Tsawwassen of receiving CTV-DT.

Seeing if I could use a set-top antenna, I purchased this one by Terk available at London Drugs:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14122&langId=-1

The specifications page on the site gives no data on gain etc, but comparing with other antennas, I guess it has a gain of 4-6 dB with a front-back ratio of around 10 dB. It certainly has good directivity and I recommend it.

Signal strength measurements from the Samsung TXR3079WH TV were taken with antenna inside on top of the set and outside pointing directly at Mount Seymour and the results are as follows:

CBUT-DT Inside: 7 (solid) to 8 bars. Outside 8 (solid) to 9 bars.
CTV-DT Inside and outside - NOTHING.
CTV analogue, Ch 32, fine and strong.

So, unless CTV increase power and modify the signal footprint I don't think many in the Lower Mainland will be able to receive CTV-DT. Anyone in the forum from Tri-Cities or East Surrey able to pick up the signal?

Rick Dude.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rick Dude,

Which London Drugs were you able to pick up the Terk antenna from?

BTW, I'm in North Surrey (Fleetwood) and agree with your statements on CTV-DT. I am receiving CBC-DT on an indoor antenna.

Ted

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Rick Dude said:
Seeing if I could use a set-top antenna, I purchased this one by Terk available at London Drugs:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14122&langId=-1
Yes, that is a rebranded or clone Zenith Silver Sensor, which I list in the Downloadable Antenna Chart. It should be fine for people in local areas to Mt. Seymour to get those stations, with maybe a bit of walking around the house looking for the sweet spot for those without a direct view to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
TedS said:
Which London Drugs were you able to pick up the Terk antenna from?
Ted,

Picked mine up from the Coquitlam Centre branch of London Drugs. Price a bit steep at $70 :( but this is a VHF/UHF antenna. London Drugs web site link:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Electronics.htm?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Electronics;Electronics;Televisions;Television Accessories;Terk Indoor HDTV Antenna - HDTVi&CS_Catalog=Electronics&CS_RootCategory=Electronics&CS_Category=Television Accessories&CS_ProductID=1189117&ProductTab=1

Rick Dude.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Burnaby Metrotown/Patterson OTA

* Facing: South East
* Tuner: Samsung SIR-T451
* Antenna: Indoor Terk HDTVi (Silver Sensor without amp)

After connected antenna to T451, found 0 signal strenth on SIR-T451. I'm wondering,

* Is anyone have successfully receive DT in this area?
* When should I test the signal? The schedule on CBC stats that the DT broadcast start from 9AM EST on March 25, 2006. Does that mean 6AM PST?

Thanks so much for help!
Rembb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Metrotown/Patterson in Burnaby

stampeder said:
Lots and lots of people in the Vancouver area threads have reported in over the last year, so just read through them. ;) How many floors up are you? Does your window face Mount Baker?
Went to QE park and point the antenna to Mt. Seymour, got CBC and CTV locked. Then I found out I was using the signal meter in the wrong way. Come back, got 3 channel.

* Facing: South East, clear view of skytrain and other high rise buildings :)
* Tuner: Samsung SIR-T451
* Antenna: Indoor Terk HDTVi (Silver Sensor without amp)

* 24 KBCB 80%
* 33 CTV 80%
* 58 CBC 90%

Looks like these are the signals bouced back from other building.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Capitol Hill in North Burnaby

I am just up and running from Capitol Hill in North Burnaby.

Using a Channel Master 4228, I am picking up CBC HD on 58-8 and CIVIDT on 32-1 very clearly.

My next project will be to face the antenna south to try and pick up US stations.

CBC programming looks very good but is it mostly upgraded SD?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
normrkey, I'll bet you'll get 19.1 from Bellingham, but its also possible you'll get some of the SeaTac signals too and certainly a bunch of analogues from the direction of Victoria.

For your CBC format questions you can ask them in the "What's on in HD?" forum in the "CBC-HD" thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SE Coquitlam: Receiving CBC/SRC

Does anyone know where is SRC analog being transmitted from around Coquitlam? It could not have been from the top of Mt Seymour, could it? I can receive the SRC analog when pointing the antenna (CM4228 clone) to the south (a bit snowy though), but I still not been able to receive CBUT-DT or CIVT-DT (see my previous post). My house is on south slope of Riverview Heights which effectively put me in the shadow of anything coming from Mt Seymour :( . What other alternatives do I have for receiving HD OTA signals from Vancouver? Any chance CBC/CTV/future would have tx towers somewhere in the Fraser Valleys?

For other DT channels, as reported before, I can only receive KIRO-DT (39.1) and KBCB-DT (24.1) reliably, using a CM4228 clone w/ preamp. Sometimes, on good signal days, I can get KOMO-DT, KING-DT and KVOS-DT but those days are still rare. I have since upgrade to a wineguard 8275 preamp as I am planning to put the clone antenna in the attic (if signal is still good), or get a real CM4228 to mount on roof, with my Samsung 43" DLP TV in the basement.

Thanks,

slim...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Port Moody - OTA feasible?

Port Moody, near Newport Village and the firehall, SSE of Burrard Inlet
4 story low rise condo, 4th floor facing north (including balcony)
Elevation is ~54ft (according to Goggle Earth)

Before I dump endless time/effort and $$$ into trying to receive OTA DTV, is it feasible in my location? Will I be able to receive broadcasts from Bellingham with a big antenna? I probably won't have line of site to the south though... :(

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The "facing north" part doesn't add up well for Bellingham, unfortunately. I wish I could say for sure how you'd do with Mt. Seymour signals - is SFU in the way?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Port Moody - OTA feasible?

xboy360 said:
Port Moody, near Newport Village and the firehall, SSE of Burrard Inlet
4 story low rise condo, 4th floor facing north (including balcony)
Elevation is ~54ft (according to Google Earth)
Hi xboy360, I live in Newport Village on the 17th floor. From the description you live down Murray Street. I use a set-top antenna and you may be able to do the same if you can see Mount Seymour. Alternatively, use a small antenna on the balcony if allowed. Should have no problem with CBUT-DT (CBC), but I can't pick up CIVT-DT (CTV) and suspect very little signal is beamed southeast from Mount Seymour. There is much comment generally in this forum about CIVT-DT and its miserable power level and coverage.

As for KVOS-DT, this is currently on air with Special Temp Authority licence which means it is on low power. I hope to have a chance of this when it comes on air fully from Orcas Island, but the Coquitlam Ridge is in the signal path. I can get a good signal from KVOS 12 but that is no guarantee for a UHF digital signal. As for KBCB multicultural station I can get a reasonable analogue picture (Ch 24) but nothing of KBCB-DT (Ch 19). It might be possible with a reasonable antenna.

My recommendation is jump in and get some gear to appreciate the picture quality of HDTV. Global will be on air later this year and maybe CTV will increase power giving 3 Canadian stations. As for OTA of any US stations, I think because of your height and Coquitlam Ridge, this is unlikely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, that's right, I live off of Murray Street, very close to the firehall.

I believe I can see Mt Seymour and possibly the (broadcast towers?) and SFU between the tree tops.

I have a philips powered rabbit ear antenna and I can get some OTA analog signals, including CTV, CBC, Global. Do the OTA analog signals originate from Mt Seymour?

Unfortunately nothing like satellite dishes are allowed on the balcony, so I wouldn't even know how to hide a big antenna. :(

So, I'm debating whether I should try getting the winegaurd square stealth antenna (and mount it high indoors behind my big window facing north) or try the $80 terk antenna (@ london drugs). If there's nothing to be gained from using the square stealth antenna, then using the terk indoor antenna is more cost effective.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The OTA analogue signals you are receiving CBC (Ch 2), CTV (Ch 32) and Global (Ch 8) all originate from Mount Seymour. I use the Terk antenna and it receives CBUT-DT (CBC) very well along with analogue and this could work for you. As you can see Mount Seymour through the tree tops, the main concern could be fluctuating signal levels with windy conditions. If the level drops too low, the digital picture will go blocky or freeze and then start again.

If more HDTV channels were available OTA, it might be possible to persuade the strata council to have a roof mounted antenna installed pointed at Mount Seymour for everyone in the building to share. If you already have an HDTV set-up and want to try the Terk antenna as we are so close, please send a private message.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reception results for Burnaby near Metrotown?

I am moving to Burnaby on Kingsway & Royal Oak (near Metrotown) end of the month. Has anyone had any luck receiving HD signals around this area?

Thanks
amitabha

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
There are a few posts in this thread about Burnaby already so please read through this thread. Can you tell us which direction your new location faces, and if it is in one of the tall buildings around there or low to the ground?

21 - 40 of 607 Posts