Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years after BBM practically invented non-carrier texting, it is finally available to the vast majority of smartphones. I mentioned it to my 21 year-old, but she dismissed it...no one BBMs anymore

Ironically, they failed to make it work on more than one device at a time so I ended up uninstalling it from my Blackberry in favour of a modern smartphone. Not sure how they didn't see that coming.

To their credit, even though it's less-abled than its BB ancestor, it is very responsive and Blackberry is only allowing activations at a managed pace. They've certainly never had this many potential customers on their network.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was a lot more upbeat just five months ago, but its really amazing how fast the BB userbase is shrinking. Today, there are just four people left in my circle (outside of work).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
BBM for android and iOS is just like the Z10... REally cool and neat, just about a year or 2 too late to the game..

With FB and unlimted text plans... this is just another way to fragment communication with the people you give a crap about..

99semaj your daughter pretty much summed it up..

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Dummy question here: What is the search term to find the client on Android?

Not having much luck...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Don't know wheither its there anymore. Got it yesterday aft.. there is/was a waiting list to get in :p

Was able to get in by this AM though.. so not long.

Likely, just to not overload the servers all at once.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I have been using FB Messenger, but I guess I can see the advantage here is you don't have to be a FB friend to get in on a group chat. Really just Whatsapp is the competition. And I actually have a buddy with a Windows phone who can't join in.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Press Release

After the amazing launch of BBM on Android and iPhone devices, with more than 10 million downloads in the first 24 hours, BBM has now ended its first week with more than 80 million monthly active users*, including over 20 million new users on Android and iPhone devices.

During its first week, BBM was the top free overall app in 35 countries in Google Play and in 107 countries in the App Store, and continues to maintain a strong position in key markets such as Canada, the US, the UK, Indonesia and much of the Middle East, to name a few.
The BBM experience will continue to evolve. In the coming months, BlackBerry will deliver BBM Video calling, BBM Voice calling and BBM Channels - a new community building service to connect BBM users even more broadly - to Android and iPhone users.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/bbm-welcomes-over-20-million-new-active-users-in-the-first-week-nasdaq-bbry-1845867.htm

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I think it's great that it's available on other phones and is being used by my daughters teenage iphone friends. Quite a few people at work are also using it on their android & iphones too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've added 10 new BBM-ers. They've announced voice/video and their channels options as coming soon to Android and iOS. I quite like their channels (only available via beta right now).

·
Registered
234 Posts
I added 4 more bbm contacts that's a lot for me! I find being able to travel to foreign countries and turn off my cell connection and just stick to wifi to message / call people who are on bbm (Blackberry version for calls only at moment I believe).

·
Registered
555 Posts
i like this app for quite a few reasons. One major one is that when you add images, it converts the images to much smaller for sending this thru BBM network. Since I don't use FB, I find this great. My wife is still a BB user, so it fits in great with Android users. Better late than never. I'm happy they finally came out with this.

So far its been my main go to messenger app which I use. Don't like Whatsapp cause of that free one year and must pay after that for sending messages. Don't understand what that payment thing is about. Regardless, I found BBM intuitive and my wife's already used to it, so what the heck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The image compression is nice. On BB10, there's an option to press and hold the image you've received and request a higher resolution version. Does that exist yet for your device?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, it does. There is an option to request a higher quality picture, and then it says higher quality picture received when the sender allows it. So, it's great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts