Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am using a 2GB TF card on my BB 9780 and wanting to upgrade to a 4GB TF card.

If I just transfer (using PC) evrything from the 2GB TF to a new 4GB TF, will the resulting transfer work flawlessly on my BB 9780?

I'd try it myself but I don't want to buy a 4GB TF just to find out later that that can't be done.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Use the BlackBerry Desktop software to do the backup. It'll take much longer, but you'll be assured it will work. Music and pictures are a non-issue, but apps may have trouble with the new card.

To be honest though, I'd recommend getting an 8GB instead of 4, they're only a few dollars more and you're less likely to run out of space again in the future. Plus, when you're done with the phone you'll be much more likely to find a use for an 8GB card than a 4.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite honestly I haven't even reached the 1GB mark on my TF card at the moment and I can get a 2GB TF for $5 after tax is the only reason I'm upgrading my memory.

I didn't know that the apps are stored in TF. I always thought the apps are in the internal memory.

So what you're saying is for me to do a full backup, change the TF and then do a full restore?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What's TF? Are you talking about microSD cards?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. (I always thought TransFlash and microSD to be one and the same).

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlackBerry Apps are stored on the device ONLY.
If that's the case, then in theory I should be able to just copy all the folders from one TF to the next without using backup/restore function right?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I've done it before. There's no encryption to the device so there should be no issues copying to a new TF.

Also, while apps are stored to the device mem, app data can be stored on the removeable media

1 - 11 of 11 Posts