Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a blackberry knows that battery pulls are a way of life (there's even an app to simulate it) but has anyone noticed a pattern where it has to be done everytime you change countries?

Twice in the past two weeks I've unwittingly has emails queue up in my outbox until a battery pull was done and it seems to coincide with country changes.

Culprits in the past two weeks were Shanghai (China Mobile) and Tokyo (SoftBank). Taiwan was not a problem, though. In December, I was in nine countries in Europe and had to do it a couple times too. My home carrier is Bell and I'm running a 9700 (yuck!) and OS6.

Not very impressive for a so-called business friendly phone.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm still using a Pearl 8130 (over 3yrs old now), and it's the first and only smartphone I've ever had. I have one of those apps to simulate a battery pull every morning at 4am.

Is the concept of a battery pull still a way of life for even the newest BlackBerry's? How about for other smartphones, or iPhones, maybe by having to restart it to clear memory?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
^^^^
I've never had to pull the battery on my Nexus One, which runs Android. I bought it back in June.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I frequently turn it off. I have my cell phone account configured to forward unanswered calls to my home number, so when I'm at home I turn my cell phone off so that it won't ring first.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Seems to me that my brother in law had to pull his BB battery when he was visiting from BC to Ottawa a few months back... He had a back up of unsent and unreceived emails while here for work... Strange.

Same for me with the HTC DESIRE. I have never had a reason to pull the battery or do softresets. Then again i use Gmail so im sure that delivers differently then BBmail. I toss it on the charger on night with the volume off, but never turn it off

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Even though I have the battery pull app (quickpull?) I rarely use nor do i need it. I have the Bold 9700 with OS6.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a BB 9700 as well running OS6 and the only time I ever do battery pulls is after installing a new app or theme. If you have memory cleaning on, then there really is no need to pull the battery.

Now, when I had my Storm 9530... battery pulls were regular because it was a piece of junk.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have memory cleaning enabled (company forced IT policy) and it doesnt make a difference.

Just arrived in San Francisco and roamed to T-Mobile and the problem did not present itself.

·
Registered
520 Posts
An easier alternative to pulling the battery out to reboot the bb phone, is holding Alt+Shift+Del (lol).

·
Registered
358 Posts
^^^
That is called a soft reset. To my knowledge that is only to force the OS to reboot.

Battery Pull is a hard reset. Clearing all memory banks and capacitors is the goal, to give the BlackBerry a complete discharge.

There have been many debates to the advantage of each, google search it and see what the said advantages of each (Soft and Hard resets) are

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts