Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just signed up for a blackberry bold 9000 yesterday with Bell, and so far I am loving it, but just one question tho... when I go to check my usage online it states:

Used

Mobile Browser Usage: In-plan 0.0185 MB
BlackBerry Usage: In-plan 0.2246 MB

Total In-plan 0.2431 MB

I now I am on the 500mb data plan, but I am confused? does that 0.2431MB mean what I think it means 2431 MB? It couldn't be because I've only had this phone for not even a day yet, lol... I need some help and explanation on this,

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well jesus if that's all thank you very much for letting me now, I'll be on the internet way more now... Coming from a company like Solo where they charge you for every KB used, that adds up over time (What a piece of crap company)...

so the 0. means the actual MB and the rest of those numbers are KB, right?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
While BlackBerries compress data before sending it to the phone (as part of BIS), it sounds like your phone may be set up to use the pda.bell.net APN (instead of pda2.bell.net). Ever since the HSPA network launched, browser "sessions" on pda.bell.net have been capped at 0.0977MB (which was the same as the Unlimited Mobile Browser option that, until recently, was available on dumbphones and the HTC Touch). Given that your "Mobile Browser Usage" is 0.1985 (0.0977 x 2), it sounds like this is indeed the case.

I still wouldn't tether though, as that uses a different APN entirely and would be calculated normally (whether tethering is an option on your plan or not).

Also note that while this has been the case since the HSPA network launched, it could change at any time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the 500mb plan for my BB Storm with Bell and I rarely go over 100/mb a month. I recieve at least 20 e-mails a day and spend about a half hour reading the paper/facebook/forums. I also recieve Twitter updates throughout the day and like I said I've never ever come close to going over 500/mb.

Enjoy your new device

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
On a BlackBerry in general, the only time you'd probably end up going over 500MB is if you were streaming Internet radio/video a fair bit.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm on the 500 MB BB plan with my 8330 Curve and I usually hit about 20 MB a month. I get a lot of e-mails and use the browser quite a bit (though that's mostly surfing sites in their "mobile" version).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just another quick question:

When I bring up my rate plan, at the bottom it lists 3 promotions that they are giving me for 1 month: and one of them is Unlimited 1x Data, Browser & RIM promo. What does this mean and what will happen when it expires in a month?... Could I use my bb for 10gb, and not get charged? I guess after that promo ends I would have to stay within 500mb, right?

Also is my 500mb good for the Bell Mobile Browser and Internet Browser, Email, Apps, etc or is it only good for the Bell Browser and that's it?... sorry guys, new to having a blackberry, thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's good for any on-device data use. Not quite sure about those extra items but I think HSPA BlackBerries have those items listed.

Also, these are good questions. Especially when dealing with cellular data, it's good to know what's going on to avoid a nasty bill. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
On my wife's 9700 there are two browser icons:

1) Mobile Browser

2) Bell Mobile Browser

Whats' the difference?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I would think the Bell Mobile Browser would take you to Bell "approved" sites; kind of like what you would see on a normal flip phone. So you would browse by selecting from a menu.

Whereas the Mobile Browser works more like IE; you can just enter any address and go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts