Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!,

I am in the process of wiring an additional set of lights in my bathroom and I need help. The pre-existing 2 gang box has a switch for the wall mount lights and another for the fan. Now I've done some wiring in the past however, the supply wire coming in has a black, red, white and ground, and its wired kind of funny to me. My plan is to replace the 2 gang box with a 3 gang box with three swtiches; one for the wall mount light, one for the pot lights and another for the bathroom fan how would I go about doing this?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does your house have central exhaust or do you have a dedicated fan for the bathroom?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just tie your 14/2 cable for the lights into the marrettes that contain black, white and copper (ground). You're going to have to replace the yellow marrettes with the red marrettes (bigger) when you add the conductor.

You may want to check your local electrical code regarding the number of wires you can have in a 3 gang electrical box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
label which wire goes to which switch before you remove all the cables from the box

The red wire will get re-connected to the switch controlling your fan

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have your pictures, also make sure you label your cables appropriately as well before you do your work. I believe this is how your circuitry works, hopefully you can use it as a reference.

left cable= feeds your light (hot wire coming from marrette into switch then feeding upto the light)

Center cable = feeds the fan ( hot wire coming from marrette and also feeds into the switch, neutral wire coming from marrette, red wire comes from switch as well)

Right cable = this is the power feed (always live) - feeds all marrettes

hot wire = black cable

I modified one of your pics to show you how to wire it up after you move your cables to the 3-gang

Good luck cutting into your mirror...I imagine that won't be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
good to hear things worked out for you. How did you end up cutting the glass?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts