Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some of you use bass shakers or Butt kickers.I was just wondering how good they really are and how expensive it would be to have a set.I believe I need an amp to run them,not sure.I probably would need 2 because I would be putting them under my couch.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bass shaker is a great toy. They are inexpensive if you already got an amp.

You will need (price off my head):

1. Bass shakers. About US$30 per pair from partsexpress.com.
2. (optional) Crossover to limit only the low frequency to the bass shakers.
About US$20 for some inline ones from partsexpress.
3. Amp. Any old receiver will do. If you don't have an old receiver, you
can order a plate amp to drive them. Advantage of plate amp
is it already comes with an crossover. Below US$100.
4. Some speaker wires. Any cheap speaker wire/lamp cord will do (< $10).
5. #6 or #8 screws ($3) from Home Depot to mount them on your couch.

Note: you don't need 1 amp to drive each shaker. You can wire 2 shakers in series. They will an 8 ohm load and can be driven a receiver channel. My old receiver is driving 4 (2 per channel).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has alot of other outlets to plug into as well.I looked at the plate amps and it looks alot like what is on the back of my sub.

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you misunderstand the speaker out in a sub. They are usually just pass through from your receiver. Check your subwoofer manual, it is unlikely any speaker out is amplified.

When using a plate amp, you will hook whatever wire that goes to the subwoofer driver to the bass shakers. These wires not at the back of the plate amp.

The whole thing is really quite simple. Bass shakers need amp. Either a plate amp, a power amp, or a receiver. Just get one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plate amp

I think I get it now.I'd put a "Y" connecter going to my sub.One line going to the sub.the other to the amp.then the signal is powered up by the amp. and like you said out to the driver,or in this case,the shakers.Is that correct?

ED

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now my next question.I was told all I need is a 25w amp to power the shakers.There is one on the parts express site.www.partsexpress.com It is part #300-782.Could you or someone tell me if this would be ok to use to power them?

Thanks again
Ed

·
Registered
69 Posts
You guys use these in your home? Neat...... I have 4 of them in my car. I'll have to give that a try. I bought my 2 sets from "Princess Auto" a year or 2 ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some Bass Shaker Question

I am researching bass shakers and am trying to figure out how many I should buy as well as how large of an amp to buy. I've researched here and on AVS and want your comments now, so all you shaker owners please comment

I am going to attach them to a Palliser L-shaped leather sectional (there are four individual pieces which lock together) and it is about the size of two average size sofas. I am thinking of purchasing 4 Bass Shakers initially to get some effect (I don't want it to be overpowering). First question is will four shakers be enough? i.e. there will be one shaker in each piece of sectional, if you will.

Second, I am looking for cheap receiver/amps. I figure I can just get a 2 channel receiver which is rated at 50 watts/channel at 8 ohms and run the 4 shakers with this. I believe I would have to wire them in series (my wiring knowledge is not very extensive) and I would be fine. Do you think I'd be alright?

Should I get a more powerful receiver, particularly if you think the 4 shakers would not be sufficient? Should I get a 5.1 receiver? Any other thoughts?

Finally, as to where to buy them, I've seen people on DHC refer to www.computerbugg.net and www.partsexpress.com. One person said they paid $18.99 for shipping. Anyone know of Cdn sources? or do you suggest I go with one of these?

Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought 4 so that I could install on under each cushion (so under each person), but only have 2 hooked up in the couch (two more for my deluxe la-z-boy haven't been wired yet)....

Yep, wire them in series.

Re: 5.1, is this for the main receiver, or just the amp for the shakers? If for the main receiver, yes you should use a 5.1, because you want to only send the bass to the speakers, not all sound. If asking about the amp, any amp will do, just be sure to have that amps input be only the bass line out... I'm using a very old 50W amp for the 2 speakers in my couch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dawtcalm said:
Re: 5.1, is this for the main receiver, or just the amp for the shakers?

No the receiver would just be for the shakers

I'm using a very old 50W amp for the 2 speakers in my couch.
Is your amp 50W per channel or total? and is this enough or would you like a more powerful receiver? Do you have the normal shakers or the shaker pros?

I am finding that I can get a relatively new but used receiver for less money then an amp just because there are more of them out there.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I have two Aura Bass Shakers in my sofa (not the pro ones) and I use an el-cheapo Technics receiver to power them. I feed the LFE line of my JVC receiver straight into the DVD-in (left side) of my Technics receiver and then connect the shakers in serie (so they add up to 8 Ohms) to the left speaker out line.

Awesome effect on big movies like War Of The Worlds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the kit containing 4 shakers,amp,wiring,and connectors and had it shipped to N.S. for just under $200 can.I see the price has risen since I got mine so if you are going to get a set I wouldn't wait too long,the price will probably go up again,plus the Cdn. dollar is not too shabby right now.I agree with the last post,I watched War of the Worlds the other night,holy crap!!!!!!The earthquakes were amazing,plus when the foot of that one walker landed just in front of Tom Cruise...I tell ya shakers are the way to go,you won't be dissappointed.

Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought 8 of the Aura (not pro) shakers from parts express. It didn't cost much in shipping at all and I don't think I ended up having to pay duty...

I had an old non digital surround sound reciever (el cheapo) as some would say.. I think 110W per channel. I hooked 4 to the left in series and 4 to the right.

4 shakers are in a hidabed couch. It shakes ok but not great. The other 4 are in a sectional that is 4 sections. So one in each section. They shake like the house is going to fall down!! Don't worry about them shaking too much because you can control them with the volume knob on the amp. But I found the cheap ones to be more than enough.

OK just found my bill. It was $48 to ship to Ottawa. so $167.44 total for 8 shakers, not bad. It makes watching movies great! I thought it was just another gimic but thought hey why not? And man now I can't think why you wouldn't!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been in email contact with the Cdn distributor for Aura, a company out of Quebec called Sonen, and have gotten the price on bass shaker pros (Aura no longer makes normal shakers) down to $52.56 Cdn each (the first price was int he mid $70s). So if anyone wants a Cdn supplier you can go direct to the source.

I am probably going to just buy four of these as I prefer buying from a Cdn source if possible and the prices are reasonable.

Question then becomes should I buy shaker pros or just buy some of the normal shakers that are for sale out there and are much cheaper? Thoughts??

·
Registered
57 Posts
MarcP said:
Not really... With exchange and shipping, I got 2 from partsexpress.com for $54CND.
You must have purchased the normal shakers - the pros are much more expensive

That's why I asked the question as to whether the Pros are worth the extra $$

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well the "normals" are pretty dang good. I can't even have the full blast because it's just too much while watching the movie.. I usually have the volume at about 45%... I don't have the pro's so I don't really know but I think for the money saved the normals are worth it...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts