Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading some other posts about this "Bass Shaker" thingy
what is it ?? and is it worth getting ??
can it run of off the same amp ?
it seems pretty cool .. i think i want them but pls let me know if its a gimmick or not

·
Registered
233 Posts
Although I don't have any personal experience with them, I once considered buying them myself.

I'm assuming your talking about the shakers you mount in your chair. The impression that I got was that most people found them to be gimmicky...and not very realistic.

You can hook them up to your amp in our subwoofer terminal so they're easy to hook up as far as I know.

Hopefully someone with some hands on experience will help you out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
"Aura Bass Shakers"
They should have their own amp. They're made for car audio so they're 4ohm instead of 8ohm, meaning you have to run two in serial to hook up to home.

I have two in my couch and two in my la-z-boy, They're great for movies, but for regular viewing you don't really want them on. Mine are hooked up to my sub out and since tv isn't 5.1 you don't feel them as much as in movies anyway...

Kinda gimmicky but add a cool factor to your setup.
I think they add to the experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bass shakers compliment your sub. It needs amplified low frequency. You can run them off your receiver only if you route your LFE to main. I doubt sub line out will work unless your sub will amplified line signal and send it to the line out.

The key is to make them subtle. So you probably want separate amplification, from which you can control volume and/or crossover.

Whether it's gimmick or not is subjective. I like mine with movies and rock concerts, but turn it off for everything else.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I bought two pairs of Aura Bass Shakers last year at about $40/pair and it was an awesome investment! The best bang for your buck for great bass you can feel.

I have the LFE line of my main receiver going into another very cheap receiver where the shakers are connected to. So the shakers are driven by their own receiver. I love them! The effect is great and I get a good chuckle at people's reaction everytime I demo my setup. :)

I got my shakers from www.partsexpress.com

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
dawtcalm said:
Mine are hooked up to my sub out and since tv isn't 5.1 you don't feel them as much as in movies anyway...
It's the opposite for me. I feel them way too much on non-5.1 sources since the whole spectrum is sent to the shakers. That's where cross-over control really is needed. However, since I only use the shakers for 5.1 movies, it isn't really needed. A cheap stereo receiver can do the job fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had a set of 4 in my couch/recliners for a few weeks now and they are hilarious , I forget about them and turn on a movie and i still laugh everytime !! They are kind of gimmicky but do add a lot to the whole surround sound experience . I bought mine off ebay and the sellers website is www.computerbugg.net , there he has lots of kinds and has package deals with amps included , I bought the package for $149, amp + 4 shakers .I preferred buying them from him on ebay because I could use "paypal" to pay and is a safe way to buy over the internet. Like the other person said it is funny when friends come over and their eyes pop out their head not expecting it , It's also fun with my xbox as well. It's not too much cash to try out , and you will like it . :cool: What i did was just put a splitter on my sub cable and went one to the sub and one to the shaker amp.

·
Registered
213 Posts
rnrt99 said:
I've had a set of 4 in my couch/recliners for a few weeks now and they are hilarious , I forget about them and turn on a movie and i still laugh everytime !! They are kind of gimmicky but do add a lot to the whole surround sound experience . I bought mine off ebay and the sellers website is www.computerbugg.net...
I'll vouch for that guy too, I bought 8 from him as well, took a bit long to finally get here, but all wrapped in their individual boxes and fair shipping cost.

Also to clarify I have mine hooked up to a 20yr old receiver as well so they can be controlled independently.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bass shaker shipping query

I've been looking at getting a pair of these for a while now.I have 2 questions.

1. I have a normal sized couch they will be going under....is 2 enough?

2. What about shipping? The shakers and the amp that I'll need will weigh in fairly heavy,What did some of you guys end up paying for shipping? I live in Nova Scotia.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ed*Wheaton said:
I've been looking at getting a pair of these for a while now.I have 2 questions.

1. I have a normal sized couch they will be going under....is 2 enough?

2. What about shipping? The shakers and the amp that I'll need will weigh in fairly heavy,What did some of you guys end up paying for shipping? I live in Nova Scotia.
1. there should be one for each person, so if it's a 3 seater I would go for 3, well actually 4, they have to be setup in series so it has to be an even # (or ask someone more into electrical than me on a workaround)...

2. Sorry I don't remember. I was lucky enough to find someone else in the area also looking for them and so we split shipping, they're heavy so it is expensive. If I had of bought more I could have easily sold them to friends as well...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The set I bought from computerbugg was heavy and he charged me $18.99US from the USA to BC , so I thought that was pretty good considering the size & weight of the box, it did take 2-3 weeks to get though so hopefully your not in a rush :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
dawtcalm said:
I'll vouch for that guy too, I bought 8 from him as well, took a bit long to finally get here, but all wrapped in their individual boxes and fair shipping cost.

Also to clarify I have mine hooked up to a 20yr old receiver as well so they can be controlled independently.
For those looking at these bass shakers they are a cool addition. However I would stay away from computerbugg.net and stick with someone else. I bought the kit from him off EBay (he's no longer a user - too many negatives!!) and all you will ever receive from him are promises that something will arrive that never does. Shop around there are plenty out there - especially on EBay and they are definitely worth it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
tous2 said:
For those looking at these bass shakers they are a cool addition. However I would stay away from computerbugg.net and stick with someone else. I bought the kit from him off EBay (he's no longer a user - too many negatives!!) and all you will ever receive from him are promises that something will arrive that never does. Shop around there are plenty out there - especially on EBay and they are definitely worth it!
Please Note
This is my personal experience and It is up to you to decide where to make your purchases. This is simply a buyer beware as my experience has been horrible. maybe yours will be better!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.