Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slacker, Inc. has announced that its ad supported free Basic Radio service is now available in Canada.

The service lets users listen to more than 100 expert-programmed genre stations or create and share customized music stations starting with either Slacker's programmed stations or by artist's name or song title.

In addition to listening to Slacker on their PC, users can also listen through mobile apps on their iPhone, Android, Palm webOS, Blackberry or Windows Phone 7 smartphones or on a Slacker Personal Radio Player.

The goal of the service, of course, is to get you to upgrade to Slacker Radio Plus, $5 a month option (less if you sign up for a year) which offers everything the basic package offers plus such features as station caching for supported mobile devices, ad-free listening, complete song lyrics, and unlimited song skipping. Station caching enables mobile listeners to store their personal stations on selected smartphones for later playback.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Tried this out on my Android phone today and it seemed to work quite well. Nice to see they are allowing us to have the free version. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I purchased Sony BDP-s370 blu-ray player and Slacker basic is available as one of the apps. The service on the blu-ray works very well, however it is not internet radio service, and most if not all of the channels are generated by Slacker. Too bad we can not program our own favorite international stations to listen to.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's more like a customizable version of the Maxtrax or Galaxie stations that cable providers have. Personally I like the idea.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Slacker is available for free on all 2010 Sony blu-ray players.
Personally I do not like it, because it is not internet radio, but streaming music service.
It would be nice to have internet radio capability through blu-ray player with ability to choose international radio stations.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I do not like it, because it is not internet radio, but streaming music service.
Really, what's the difference?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.