Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - believe it or not, I've never had a cell phone plan before, and now that I'm finally going to buy one, I have some very basic questions about service that aren't explained clearly on the provider (Telus) website:

1) If I have a Toronto phone number and go to Ottawa (for example), what constitutes a local call - a call to an Ottawa number or a call to a Toronto number?

2) I understand that you incur roaming charges if you use the phone in the US, but if you use the phone outside of your local area (again, say a Toronto number being used on an Ottawa tower), do you incur extra charges?

3) Is it true that Telus uses the Bell network in areas where they don't have their own towers? (I'm looking to buy a smartphone through Telus, but want to make sure it will work up north in an area that is only covered by Bell towers)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
1 & 2) If you have a Toronto number and travel to Ottawa, then calling an Ottawa number will be a local call. Outgoing long distance charges are applied based on where you are - not what your phone number is. That said, if you receive a call in Ottawa and you have a Toronto number, then you will be charged long distance regardless of who calls you. (Yes, that means if you are roaming, it is much more beneficial to make calls than receive them).

3) In general, yes. To be more specific though, you'll want to be careful on which network the phone is using. Bell & Telus share the same HSPA network, but their CDMA networks have different coverage. If you buy an HSPA phone, it will not work in an area with only CDMA coverage.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The new carriers tend to be helpful in this respect - aside from select plans, most are province-wide calling = local
(as it should be.. cmon, it's 2011. It doesn't cost 35c to call two towns over :p)
Makes it easy on the customer to know what is going on.

E.g. If I'm in a 'home' zone and call anywhere in Ontario, a minute's a minute. No extra charges or fees. Out of province tends to add a nominal fee (I think 15c?)

I'd look up the specific policies of all of your prospective companies, as I know their LD policies vary a bit between robelus (and vary a lot between robelus and the new 3)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. Navigating the ins and outs of cell phone plans is a painful ordeal!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
....ain't that the truth!

It's not always easy to figure out these things, and the best thing you can do is ask questions and do a bunch of research before jumping in.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The OP mentioned "up north" which rules out any of the new carriers.

Dave77, what area "up north" are you referring to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"up north" = Walkerton/Kincardine area. It's rural, but it is covered by Bell towers in the specific area I'm thinking because my PC Mobile pay-as-you-go phone gets good reception. Rogers, not so much.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Sorry, missed the Telus-only part.
Shame there's no rogers service.
With wind, I get 25c/min roaming.. that's cheaper than the per-minute LD charge robelus charges within their own network! :p

Check the coverage maps, specifically looking at HSPA coverage. If Belus doesn't have HSPA (3G.. well, "4G" now with their marketing BS) coverage there, you're going to have to stick with an old CDMA phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts