Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a home. It has three rooms set up with speakers in the roof. All the wiring goes to one central room. I would like to hook up a basic setup for minimal costs to listen to my ipod over these speakers.

I would love it to have control over which rooms are turned on and off. Other than that, I don't need a lot.

It only needs to have ipod hookup, and only accept 3 sets of what I am guessing are low to mid range sets of speakers.

I live in Calgary and would be happy to shop locally, or perhaps online. I just don't know what I am looking for. I can only find recievers that are very expensive with things like 7.2 digital sound, and 1080p video etc. None of which I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
833 Posts
Check out the Sherwood RX-5502. You can pick them up online for under $200. I plan on getting one for a similar purpose.

It's a basic stereo receiver with 4 pairs of speaker outputs all individually selectable. It also has 2 zones so speakers A&B can be playing from one source and C&D can be another source. The remote is IR only so you may need some sort of IR/RF remote if you want to control it from another room. You have a number of options there depending on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It might be good to know what the ohm rating is for your speakers. If it's 4 ohms, a cheap receiver would struggle to drive all 6 speakers or maybe even 4 at once. Also, what is your budget. If it's only $200 or so you might want to wait a few months until you can spend more rather than waste your money on a product that could burn out in a few months.

Just about anything can 'hook up' to an ipod if you have an adapter to stereo RCA's, is that good enough or do you want a digital connection?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As a note, you may want to check out the classifieds. A good amp will last a long time so you might be able to pick up a used one cheap.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Starfishy, define "minimal costs". Minimal to some, say the price of their cables in the HT system, is actually equivalent to ALL my HT system.

I don't like to assume that I totally understand your setup.
1) Speakers in the "roof" probably mean in-ceiling speakers. Are the speakers still there? Some owners take their speakers with them.
2) Wiring goes to a central location. I'll take that to mean all the speaker wires. But are there control wires e.g. Cat5, located in each room?
3) Independent controls and amplification is your preference.

Maybe something like this may work for you: http://www.htd.com/Products/basic

A bit more detail and maybe some pics would also direct you to specific products for your needs. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts