Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't about you guys, but I think I still prefer a good ol' monochrome reader - just like a good paperback - for reading books - like my new Kindle 3 at $139.

A reader not for games, not for email, not for Facebook - a reader for, well, reading books. Maybe word games, like Scrabble and crosswords, but that's it.

If I want a tablet to do more, I'll get a tablet - but not for reading.

A colour reader will have poor battery for sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think this is being marketed at hardcore reading fans. It's more for the casual reader who wants their ereader to do more than just look at books but who don't want to put up the money for an iPad or Galaxy Tab or other tablet device. The price point is right between hi-end ereaders and low end tablets. It'll never do what the iPad can but it does more that the original Nook. A happy medium and B&N is still going to be selling the original for those who just want a ereader. I think it's a great idea. Expand your product line and your customer base. Time will tell if this idea works out.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nice to see more devices coming to market but I share the scepticism on this one.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a strange one for me. It seems they took away the most compelling reason to get a dedicated ereader device - the eInk screen and the corresponding long battery life. By adding a colour touchscreen LCD, it now ventures into tablet territory, but this one looks to be quite crippled versus a full-blown android tablet or iPad.

Not sure I would ever want one of these. I love my Kindle for reading, but if I want a tablet, I will get a fully functional tablet rather than one of these. Probably a moot point for Canadians, as it will likely not be sold here anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts