Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone answer this question.

We switched ISP's a couple of months ago and just recently, our new ISP blacklisted the MAC address of our router. I ended up having to clone the MAC address of a workstation on the LAN to the router to regain access to the internet.

My question is, why does an ISP concern itself with the MAC address seen on the LAN side of a DOCSIS modem? Last two ISP's never concerned themselves with MAC addresses and we were with them 9 & 7 years. Needless to say, I'm not amused.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Maybe it was the router's WAN MAC address that was blocked. Maybe it was an error, maybe the MAC address was blacklisted due to suspicious traffic. It's possible the router was hacked or someone else cloned it and engaged in some suspicious activity.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it was the router's WAN MAC address that was blocked. Maybe it was an error, maybe the MAC address was blacklisted due to suspicious traffic. It's possible the router was hacked or someone else cloned it and engaged in some suspicious activity.
Thanks ExDilbert.
It was the WAN MAC address of the router that was blocked.
I asked the ISP what was the reason for blocking the MAC. I couldn't get a definitive answer from tech support.
If there was nefarious activity emanating from my network, I would expect any ISP to let me know so it could be resolved, not arbitrarily disable my access.
I suspect, and could be wrong, that some ISP's would rather sell their preferred brands of network devices to customers.
In the end, this got resolved by MAC cloning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts