Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there ANYWAYS to see how much Bandwidth the TV actually uses? Would love to know - i remember bandwidth monitor is for the computer but anyway to see what actually goes into the router? as a whole?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you can load DD WRT (the open source router firmware) on your router, that would be able to give you a fairly accurate reading.

·
Super Moderator
16,850 Posts
DD WRT can't be loaded on the Telus routers. I don't know if the TV will work going through a third party router.

According to other posts in the forum, Telus encodes SD channels at 2.25 Mbps and HD at 5.6 Mbps.

MTS in Winnipeg uses 2Wire modem/routers which have a diagnostic page that allows you to see total bandwidth in use. I'm not sure if the Telus equipment has something similar that a user can access.

If you're still curious and are familiar with packet sniffers you could try Wireshark. I've looked at TCP/IP packets which seem to have the stream size included in the management packets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
According to other post in the forum, Telus encodes SD channels at 2.25 Mbps and HD at 5.6 Mbps.
Slightly off topic but I'm wondering if they'll be increasing the bit-rate of their streams in the future? I remember hearing that Comcast I believe was sending out their HD streams at 18mbps. Though if they were using mpeg2 decoding it count count for the increased stream size, though I'm not sure how much.

·
Super Moderator
16,850 Posts
@WhosTheBosch, cable companies like Comcast and Shaw typically pack either 2 or 3 HD channels per QAM which works out to 18 or 12 Mbps per HD channel. Mpeg-4 is a more modern compression algorithm and takes about half the bandwidth to provide a comparable picture. So Optik TV at 5.6 Mbps is roughly comparable to Mpeg-2 at 12 Mbps

It's possible that Telus may increase the bit-rate in the future, but I don't think that will happen until they finish upgrading their slower-speed lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts