·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Presumably these will go on sale in the first quarter of 2011 which is when Apple will likely introduce V2 of the iPad.

I don't want to sound like I'm a MS hater but they really have dropped the ball here. With the iPad going into V2 and the introduction of Android tablets, I really doubt they have a chance. Methinks, Too little, too late.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
....unless they already have learned from ipad's 1st version what would make a better slate/tablet. I wouldn't count them out just yet. Or it might be Zune all over again... :(

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I think if these are fully featured Windows devices, capable of running Windows software then they may serve a different market.

If they're overly constricted or the hardware is poor or they're overly expensive then it'll be Zune all over again.

Unfortunately for them I'd have a hard time putting money on the first option.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
This tablet was 'seen' (to use Ballmers words) last holiday season when he held an HP slate up to the camera. This is another vaporware tactic to give the illusion that he is in the game.

MS' first foray into the tablet space will fail because they are simply going to stuff their bloated desktop OS into a touch screen form factor. Long power up/down times and a mouse paradigm will turn consumers away.

They need a mobile OS with native touch before they will have any meaningful penetration.

·
Registered
796 Posts
MS' first foray into the tablet space will fail because they are simply going to stuff their bloated desktop OS into a touch screen form factor. Long power up/down times and a mouse paradigm will turn consumers away.

They need a mobile OS with native touch before they will have any meaningful penetration.
Sounds about right. There are plenty of tablet computers running some form of Windows, has been for years.

Also Microsoft has a track record for completely abandoning hardware products.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I would definitely agree. A "slate" running a full-blown version of Windows just doesn't seem to target the same users of an iPad. I'm currently using a Tablet PC (convertible), and while I really like it as a computer, I don't think I'd like it nearly as much if it didn't have a keyboard as well.

Windows itself isn't optimized for touch-only use, and this is true no matter how much Microsoft wants us to think otherwise. Also, as a result of requiring a fully-featured OS and hardware to go along with it, battery life will not come close to matching the iPad. Contrary to what MS seems to think, battery life in a tablet is extremely important.

I'm also not convinced Microsoft could tune Windows to a point that it matches the perceived performance of an iPad. Yes, the Windows tablet may do more, but would the average consumer care? I'm not so sure about that.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^

I think that's a really important point...the iPad most certainly does not do everything that a PC can do....but by focussing on the 90% of things people really do, and doing it better, they have really struck a chord.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I agree, the iPad is an excellent content browser. That's what it was designed to be.
Long battery life, excellent IPS screen, multitouch surface and an OS designed for touching.
Windows CE... Well I've used it and it's nothing to write home about.
What I would love to buy is a table top sized screen & touch surface like MS Surface, but not for $12k. Too bad it's based on Vista :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
"Your next computer will be a big-ass table!" :)

As blueroomelectro has said, there has been Windows based tablet/slate computers on the market for years. And they were all terrible because they still used a nearly 100% Windows user interface with just a few tablet based "trinkets" added to it.

With the release of Windows Phone 7, will Microsoft recycle the same user interface in a slate?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I doubt WP7 will be recycled into a tablet.

Ballmer has been making a long string of quotes over the past few months all seemingly aimed at lowering expectations for WP7. Even at the launch this week, he says the OS is "get in, get out...as fast as humanly possible" I take that to mean it's not a compelling experience that will entice you to want to use the device any more than you have to.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
As blueroomelectro has said, there has been Windows based tablet/slate computers on the market for years. And they were all terrible because they still used a nearly 100% Windows user interface with just a few tablet based "trinkets" added to it.
I wouldn't blame it only on MS - the hardware was not really up to snuff the way that it is with the iPad.

That being said I would prefer a tablet with the specs of an iPad that runs Win7 as it gives you much more flexibility as you aren't constrained by Apple decided what video formats are kosher. But that is no feasible given the higher power requirements of such a computer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
man, I'd take a win7 tablet over the ipad any day of the week

win7 paired with a SSD is screamingly fast, and you don't have to give up a ton of capability, like you do with the highwalled apple world

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a Quebec company with a Win7 + SSD that apparently will start to ship pre-orders next week. Price is reasonably close to ipad and it has its own UI to make it more touch friendly. I am waiting for independent reviews of the final product to see how it actually performs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts