Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
...that's a shame if it happens, I really am enjoying my Zune....plus I hate to see Apple with free reign over the mp3 player industry, though it could easily be pointed out that's what they have now...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would be good if the Marketplace would be open for Canadians. I like the Zune but it is a major drawback not having a site that supports the Zune directly.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they come with a "Zune inside" concept, though, the hardware manufacturers can continue to innovate and drive improvement for consumers. That's something Microsoft cannot do, as they have never demonstrated an ability to be a competent hardware designer.

Besides, aren't today's models from Toshiba? Surely Toshiba will continue to develop in this space...

·
Registered
796 Posts
...that's a shame if it happens, I really am enjoying my Zune....plus I hate to see Apple with free reign over the mp3 player industry, though it could easily be pointed out that's what they have now...
iPods have held a massive lead over every other mp3 player combined. For years. I recently switched to my first iPod (an iPhone) and love it. I've added an Apple TV (an iPod for your HDTV). iTunes (a real pig on anything but the fastest computer) allows sorting your media and for that it works great.

As for the Zune it's seems like a me too product more than an inovator.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The Zune is my favorite MP3 player by far. I really don't like the click wheel interface of the iPod, and I just find it's far easier to navigate with the Zune.

Sound quality is better in my opinion as well.

Finally, I like the idea that firmware upgrades are available for all Zune models - wish that were possible with the iPods.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Besides, aren't today's models from Toshiba? Surely Toshiba will continue to develop in this space...
No, only the first generation model (Zune 30) was from Toshiba (the old Toshiba GigaBeat), the later models were wholly designed and developed by Microsoft.

On the entire topic, I think the media is exaggerating things as usual, grabbing a few spoken lines and then speculating on their own. There had been a plan for awhile to go beyond the current product, and concentrate more on the software / services side. Doesn't necessarily mean the hardware will be abandoned. Even some rumours that the Zune hardware may be integrated into some sort of new XBox portable gaming device (with the Zune software integrated) instead of it continuing as a standalone product.

Agreed with BGY11, I also think the Zune sound quality is definitely better than the iPod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts