Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this question, but I know their are some very intelligent people here, so here goes.
I have one TV channel that broadcasts on RF 21 (512-518 MHz) that experiences a period of poor reception most everyday, regardless of weather conditions. This starts around 7 or 8 pm and usually lasts until 9:30 or 10. The nature of the interference as it comes and goes could be quite comparable to the reception period/reply period of someone or something communicating back and forth, reception period = no interference, reply period = interference. Is it possible that a ham system with an antenna producing harmonics is doing this? Maybe something else?

·
Registered
221 Posts
None of the amateur band VHF/UHF harmonics fall on UHF 21, but it could be a case of overload from a nearby transmitter. It could also be noise from LED lights, solar panel regulators, furnace controllers, or random analogue electronics going into self-oscillation...

I recall a RFI hunt in the U.S. where there was interference to the GPS navigation system, and it turned out to be a TV preamp.
GPS RFI

I would suggest buying an SDR receiver, and having a listen. I seem to think European TV dongles with RTL2832U & R820T chips are still available at a very reasonable price (ie less than $20).

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Agree an RTL-SDR can help to identify problematic IX. A PC Based TV tuner can help also, with the ability to report signal strength and signal Quality.
Some details of your antenna system, and approximate location, (eg a rabbitears.info report) might help.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I have one TV channel that broadcasts on RF 21 (512-518 MHz) that experiences a period of poor reception most everyday, regardless of weather conditions.
I'm surprised that you are trying to receive RF 21. In your previous thread you only wanted other channels. In that thread you gave your rabbitears.info signal report:
I attached the rabbitears info just to add a little humor to your day. All three frequencies of interest are..... 100+ ft trees from 95 deg to 225 deg.
RabbitEars.Info
W21DA-D RF 21 looks very weak:
RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Rabbit hits the nail on the head... Guessing he is seeing it only seeing it on occasion when the sun goes down...
Will probly never be a stable signal from that distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts