Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have telephone, internet and cable tV through Eastlink cable. YEsterday we had a brief outage where all 3 services went out. The telephone came back first, followed by the Cable TV, but the internet remained out. My cable modem (Motorola SB5100 I believe) Was sending OK, but the "receive" light remained flashing. My set-up is as follows:

Telephone:has its own cable coming in to telephone modem
Living room TV: Split from upstairs connection (used to be a rented apartment, so it is split from the upstairs seperate cable account)
Computer room: Seperate cable coming in connected to a 2-way splitter with one cable going to the cable modem and another wire going to a bedroom to supply cable TV to my other TV.
After the other services were restored, I confirmed that telephone and cable TV on both TVs were working great on all channels.
I tried resetting the modem a few times by unplugging, but the same issue persisted. I unplugged the splitter and hooked the modem up directly and the connection was restored. Upon reconnecting the splitter, the conneciton was lost. This splitter is providing Cable TV but not an internet signal. Does this sound like a bad splitter (frequency that internet is on won't come through, but TV frequency has no issue) or could there be another issue? The splitter is a $10 Source Cable splitter, notihng fancy, but affordable and a bit better than a dollar store one.
I amabout to go buy another one after work to test, however can cable wires carry an electrical charge that may kill a splitter? Or does this sound like a common issue at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who are interested, it was indeed the splitter. I picked up one of the exact same type at the Source, and boom! signal is back to the cable modem and my TV as well. All I can say that caused it was some weird electrical activity that the splitter didn't like, or for some reason the splitter selectively chose to lock out the internet frequency on me!

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts