Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have this brand new MacBook Pro and it's running like a top. I don't plan on using it to store much data that can't be recovered in the case of a hardware problem but I would like to backup some of it.

I noticed my system came with something called Time Machine but this only seems to work for other "mac" disks. In my case, I would like to backup my data to an nfs server (already mounted and works fine). Does software for that purpose exist for the mac?

TIA!

·
Registered
598 Posts
You should really consider time machine and an external drive. Not only does it do backups and you can go back in time to get a previous revision of a file or deleted file with ease, it can do a complete restore in case of hard drive failure.

My wife had a hard drive failure, brought the iMac in and had the drive replaced. Got home and just selected restore from Time Machine backup and she didn't lose a minute of work. Completely automated and easy to do and everything was exactly back in place as it was before the HD failure.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I'd still like a way to backup to my nfs server... would you recommend a USB or Firewire based external drive?

I'm thinking a 1TB drive might not be out of the question (this machine has a 250GB HD).

·
Registered
598 Posts
We use a Firewire drive. But I would think USB would be just as good. The only reason we picked up the Firewire drive was because the computer store we bought the iMac had a great deal on a bundle - new iMac + Ram upgrade + Firewire drive.

1 Tb would be more than plenty as Time Machine does incremental backups and manages the drive if it gets full. I think ours is only 500Mb.

I would use either USB or Firewire, probably the USB drives are less expensive. So I would recommend whatever manufacture you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
225 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts