Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is a feature or a bug but it is interesting none the less.

I have an all episodes recording setup for Modern Family. It is an "all episode on this day in this time slot" recording. I also have the recording padded so it is set to 9:00 - 9:33. I noticed that during the Christmas holidays Modern Family was televised back to back at both 9 and then again at 9:30 and my PVR recorded both episodes including the extra padding! This occurred for the two weeks in a row that they aired back to back.

I am using the 8642 . . . can anyone else confirm this behaviour? Is this also happening on the 8300? I assume it must be happening because I set the end time as 9:33 and since the title of the show was still Modern Family at that time, the PVR decided to keep recording?!?!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's doing what you asked it to do. The PVR has two tuners, so it can record two scheduled recordings at the same time -- in this case the 3 minutes of overalap. What did you expect it to do?

That said, what really bugs me is that when you have back-to-back *with no overlap* there is definitely a short lag between one show ending and the next one starting up. I might have another show being recorded on a different channel, though, so it's possible that at that point there is only one tuner available. I realize that there may be some lag when a tuner has to be "switched" to a different recording, but it's really a pain when the two shows are back-to-back on the same channel. Too bad there's not an option to combine such recordings into a single block.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is? I asked it to record Modern Family from 9:00 - 9:33 . . . It recorded Modern Family from 9:00 - 9:33 and also Modern Family from 9:30 - 10:03.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You asked for all recordings in "this time slot". The padding put you into the 9:30 to 10:00 timeslot, so perhaps it decided to record that one as well. Since you had a 3 minute pad on the recording, it recorded until 10:03. Pretty smart in my opinion.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed . . . this is my thinking as well. I am certain that my old 8300 never did this. I am wonder if this is just the 8642 behaving like this or did the new firmware add this to the 8300 as well.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think it might be a by-product of the new firmware. Before, the padding would be dropped on each subsequent recording. Now, the padding remains and is applied to each subsequent recording.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the padding is definitely retained but I am wondering more about the fact that even though I technically did not ask for the second episode to be recorded it was.

I also wonder if I had some other recording setup at the same time, if this would even work. It seems that 2 tuners may be required for this to occur.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
kibosh, sorry, I missed the "this time slot" part of the original post.

Larry, even before the firmware update the padding worked for programs that aired more than once a week (it only "broke" when the next show was not in the guide data when the current one finished).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts