Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Typically such devices pull the data from the transport stream of the signal, not the RF channel allocation. The Avant X does not demodulate the signal or alter PSIP in any way, shape, or form, there are other devices for such a need. It's strictly RF digital processing so the TS and PSIP data remains untouched when changed to a different RF channel to avoid co-channel interference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Typically such devices pull the data from the transport stream of the signal, not the RF channel allocation.
I think you mean "EPG," the digital info embedded in the signal, that identifies the virtual channel and has some program data. Which of course is not lost or altered by the Avant X. But generally has no more than about 24 hours of schedule information (at least in the U.S.)

I think cj47 is talking about third-party guide data, which usually has at least a couple weeks worth of data. Maybe some devices (like TiVo) "assume" the channel based on the RF frequency and your geographical location. While it's true they should be able to read the channel info from the embedded signal, they probably don't. It's not a usual situation that someone receives a channel "remapped" to another frequency at their tv/device.

I suspect a TV connected directly to the coax would probably detect the correct channel information from the signal, but not other DVR devices with extended listings services.

I don't have this situation (no duplicate frequencies) but I use MythTV with SchedulesDirect for listings, which I'm sure would have a way to set up your own mappings, even if you had to code it yourself. Or maybe just some database tweaking. Don't know, haven't needed to try. But that's why I love MythTV instead of having a TiVo or similar. It's my Linux box, and I can customize it however I like. It is dedicated to tv/media stuff, but it's nice to have Chrome browser for streaming sites and HandBrake to transcode any TV recordings I want to archive. :)

Anyway, this is not a criticism of the Avant X. The fact that it can map two identical frequencies from different directions/antennas is amazing. It's just something other device manufacturers haven't had to consider before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fail to see a problem here. Operator is free to not process any channels and make use of that capability, giving up a multiplex. The Avant only brings enhanced posibilites.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Typically such devices pull the data from the transport stream of the signal, not the RF channel allocation.
I fail to see a problem here.
I think cj47 is talking about third-party guide data, which usually has at least a couple weeks worth of data. Maybe some devices (like TiVo) "assume" the channel based on the RF frequency and your geographical location.
Assume, or better, 'expect' that station to be where it is suppose to be.
I see a possible problem regarding devices when using outside party 'Guide data'. Namely TiVo recorders. Rovi (that owns TiVo and also supplies the data for their 'Guide') has their 'system' programmed to expect stations to be on predefined physical channel numbers.
TV tuners and external 'tuners' get their 'Guide' data from that station, not from a 3rd party source. HUGE difference.
PC based DVR's (two piece systems) may get the data from a 3rd party, but their Guide is on the PC, not the 'receiver/tuner' that has a Ethernet output feeding into a PC where the recording is done.

Yes, it is a problem if you want to offset duplicate physical channels from different markets. Not a problem here, but I'm sure it would be especially in the NE. But, there really isn't anything that could be done with it that I can see, or at least nothing simple. Now if it involves a station that the user has no intention of recording (or doesn't mind doing 'VCR' style programming), then there wouldn't be a restriction.

Now, there is a slight chance it may not be a problem depending on how the their system would handle this, but I won't know for sure until I try it. It's VERY easy to 'upset the apple cart' with the Rovi/TiVo sudo monopoly. :mad:

61 - 64 of 64 Posts