Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you jruano. Would this device help with this situation: receiving a distant station on channel 20 stuck between two strong locals in the same direction on channels 19 and 21? Sometimes, my TV tuner cannot see channel 20 because it is overloaded by channels 19 and 21.

When stations switch to ATSC 3.0, will it be transparent for the Advent X? No need to change anything (besides the TV set)?

Also, this question for Chiwaukee. When you changed the output channels with your second antenna, did this affect the PSIP channels? In other words, with your setup with two antennas getting the same channels, did you get, say, two channels 36.1, two channels 58.1, etc. on your TV set?

Thank you !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you jruano. Would this device help with this situation: receiving a distant station on channel 20 stuck between two strong locals in the same direction on channels 19 and 21? Sometimes, my TV tuner cannot see channel 20 because it is overloaded by channels 19 and 21.

When stations switch to ATSC 3.0, will it be transparent for the Advent X? No need to change anything (besides the TV set)?

Also, this question for Chiwaukee. When you changed the output channels with your second antenna, did this affect the PSIP channels? In other words, with your setup with two antennas getting the same channels, did you get, say, two channels 36.1, two channels 58.1, etc. on your TV set?

Thank you !
FIrst question: Absolutely, you can filter out just channel 20 in that direction and remove 19 and 21. A customer recently posted this on a Facebook group:

“To everyone I've ever scolded for saying you can't mix the outputs of antennas, I take it back. You can, with a Televes Avant X processor.

My Avant X arrived on Saturday morning and I got a quick chance to experiment with it over the weekend. Its claim to fame is that it can selectively pass individual or groups of sequential channels from up to four antennas. Basically it allows you to say I want this channel from this antenna and that channel from that antenna. It prevents you from having to passively mix antennas where the results are almost always destructive.

As a quick test, I put my Philadelphia antenna on input 1 of the Avant X. I have line-of-sight to Philadelphia. The signals are very strong. I programmed the Avant X to pass channels 31 and 33 from the Philly antenna. At that point, nothing but those two signals showed up on a spectrum analyser coming out of the Avant X. So far so good.

I then connected my Harrisburg, PA antenna to input 2 and programmed the Avant X to pass only channel 32. Channel 32 from Harrisburg is substantially weaker than Philly and its noise margin is just good enough to get a solid picture when connected to a TV. The Avant X completely removed Philly channels 31 and 33 from the Harrisburg antenna and was able to pass channel 32 which sits between those two Philly channels that are at least 30dB stronger. That's incredible. A multi-thousand dollar filter network could not do that.

The end result was that I got channels 31, 32 and 33 out of the Avant X from two different antennas at equalized power levels. What was even more amazing was that the Harrisburg station which was already weak with a low margin was able to be passed through the Avant X and remain usable as there was no margin for further degradation.

Suffice to say, I am thoroughly impressed. This device can completely obsolete your rotator. Point an individual antenna at each city and properly mix all the channels. You'll be able to do one channel scan on your receiver and grab all your receivable stations.

Once I get a chance to put more antennas on the Avant X and do more testing, I will post some spectrum analyser grabs and more detailed results.

Wow.”

Second question: RF channels don‘t change with ATSC 3.0, transparent.

Third question: The Avant filters, adjusts level and frequency-shifts doing digital processing but does not demodulate the stream, no changes to PSIP info.

Hope this clarifies

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you very much for your crystal-clear responses. This devices looks really amazing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
But for Yagi's example of channels in one direction with one antenna, even if you disable rf19 and rf21 on the device, their interference would still exist on rf20, right? This device appears to be for combining multiple antennas aimed in different directions into one output cable for one tuner, instead of using multiple cables/tuners or using one cable/tuner and having to deal with the negative effects of using a simple combiner/splitter-in-reverse.

Reactions: tvlurker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any good source in the US to buy that version here without having to import? This sounds like just what I need for my area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But for Yagi's example of channels in one direction with one antenna, even if you disable rf19 and rf21 on the device, their interference would still exist on rf20, right? This device appears to be for combining multiple antennas aimed in different directions into one output cable for one tuner, instead of using multiple cables/tuners or using one cable/tuner and having to deal with the negative effects of using a simple combiner/splitter-in-reverse.
In reality to the extent that those three RF muxes are inside the input range of -20dBmV to 40dBmV of the unit, the Avant will filter them independently and adjust them to the desired output level. That the tuner cannot make the distant channel with those two adjacent channels doesn’t mean it can’t be filtered and adjusted, but it will depend on levels as to how high it can be brought up. It is the same case that was described on a previous post by that customer.

The typical use of the Avant is indeed combining different over-the-air feeds avoiding co-channel interference, providing one combined feed with all the carriers correctly filtered and balanced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is there any good source in the US to buy that version here without having to import? This sounds like just what I need for my area.
All typical CATV/SMATV/MATV distributors in the US should have access to it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The possibilities are endless! Talk about greed, I'm thinking about adding a fourth array to my Avant X now that I know how well it works. This tool / device is an enabler for my antenna addiction.

I am planning a antenna shootout this weekend between the HDB91X, 91XG and the Televes DAT BOSS LR...

The winner will go up the tall mast for further testing. Not to say the others wouldn't, but for now I just want to do some off the ladder testing 😉.
How many miles/kilometers away are you able to receive? My problem is I live exactly 80 kilometers away from towers in each direction, just out of the range of reliable reception

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How many miles/kilometers away are you able to receive? My problem is I live exactly 80 kilometers away from towers in each direction, just out of the range of reliable reception
Tvmaster. I'm sorry I had abandoned this thread and didn't realize you were asking me a question.

I have two markets. Most likely an ideal situation. Milwaukee is 49 miles north, Chicago is 39 to 40 miles south depending on which transmitter, the John Hancock or the Sears Tower. It will always be the Sears Tower to me.

Signal strengths are mostly 70 to 90% from Milwaukee and and Chicago 85% to 97% with my long Yagi's.

Signal strength has never been an issue for me and I used the rotator solution for years.

When I combined arrays is when I found out how combining ruins your signals. Sure I kept the strongest stations from both markets but lost any of the lower stations do to multipath, interference Etc.

Instead of rotating the rescanning we went with the two tuner solution. It's probably okay if you have a 1 TV room. And somebody who is very savvy with all the different remotes. No more of that anymore. Now just turn the TV on and use it and accept your hundred plus channels.

Unfortunately, I know that's not your situation, but you asked me about mine.

You need to go to your local reception area and post the question to see what others are using.

You will most likely need:
The largest antennas you can find.
Exercise all low loss techniques like RG11 NO three or five-way combiners.
Low noise Pre-amps
Very good quality TV tuner.
The Avant X if you do go to combine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I live fairly rural and between multiple markets. I employ 3 CM-4228 antennas currently, one pointed to Ottawa, ON (133km away), another pointed at Watertown, NY and a third antenna is stand alone pointed at Syracuse, NY for one TV. Each antenna has Kitztech KT-200 preamps in order to pull the signal from each location. The Ottawa and Watertown antennas are combined with a Channel Master jointenna downstream of the power inserter for the preamps.

Looking for an opinion from anyone on this: Can I straight replace the Jointenna with this Avant X and leave the current antenna->preamp setup in place and expect a positive result? I have designed the current system to keep loss at a minimum, but still many channels are on the fringe (some will always be a bit of an issue due to distance and terrain). Wondering if there is a significant loss difference between the Jointenna and the Avant X from which to decide to buy one.

Ideas? Opinions?

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
The Avant X would be one solution. Another would be to feed each antenna into a tuner with networking capabilities and use media players or TV apps to watch TV. Another solution would be to use PC tuners and media server software to share the channels on the network. An advantage to these solutions would be the ability to record and timeshift the shows using a PC (HTPC.) Not sure how the costs would compare but if the Avant X is close to $1000 it could be more expensive than a home brewed, low budget networking solution.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I have been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I live fairly rural and between multiple markets. I employ 3 CM-4228 antennas currently, one pointed to Ottawa, ON (133km away), another pointed at Watertown, NY and a third antenna is stand alone pointed at Syracuse, NY for one TV. Each antenna has Kitztech KT-200 preamps in order to pull the signal from each location. The Ottawa and Watertown antennas are combined with a Channel Master jointenna downstream of the power inserter for the preamps.

Looking for an opinion from anyone on this: Can I straight replace the Jointenna with this Avant X and leave the current antenna->preamp setup in place and expect a positive result? I have designed the current system to keep loss at a minimum, but still many channels are on the fringe (some will always be a bit of an issue due to distance and terrain). Wondering if there is a significant loss difference between the Jointenna and the Avant X from which to decide to buy one.

Ideas? Opinions?
I've been using the Avant X for close to three months now and I wouldn't trade it for any other solution. And no, I don't work for Televes!

I spent a lot of money trying to figure out how to combine different antennas. I tried different antennas, I tried different combiners. I settled for the two tuner solution which I thought really sucked. All the different remotes Etc... I didn't like that either, so I almost went super expensive and was going to have a custom box built by Jans Jenca, but I got wind of the repack and held off. I'm glad I did.

This "box" allows you to combine 4 antenna arrays. It takes all four inputs and magically combines them. Or, two or three inputs, whatever you want!

There are a number of things that you can do with this Avant X. And, since you mentioned it, amazingly, it will even power your Kitz Technologies Pre-amps. It cleaned up my interface area a lot. I had (at one time) 4 Kitz amps and the wall warts and the corresponding cords took up a lot of space.

Kitz preamps have a 9 volt wall wart but they will accept a 9-12 volt input. This means you can power your Kitz amps through the Avant X. That's good news, and I got it directly from Kitz, his preamps will accept the Avant X 12volt input without any issues whatsoever.

You can also use it as a signal booster type distribution amp although that's not what it's built for. It does have two outlets, so you can cut the loss over two TV sets. Remember though, it's not sold as a distribution amp. But I can tell you this, I get my signal through the test port instead of the output because my preamping is so strong, I don't need any boost at all.

Basically setting it up is a matter of making a list of each Channel you want from each antenna array and programming it in. It's got 32 filters. If you run out of filters you can actually combine channels in one filter just like the different numbered sub channels are done now on one RF frequency. It could be a reality for some of you in these multiple City Markets, I'm picturing the East Coast..

Here's my first attempt at combining two markets, Milwaukee and Chicago. Input 1 is Chicago, input 2 is Milwaukee:

Here's the results of the above set up on the spectrogram. I annotated it, don't how tight to Spectrum compare this screenshot to the one below it, same two antennas. Every frequency is taken. The FCC took no prisoners :

This is what the full spectrum looks like using a combiner with both Milwaukee and Chicago antennas combined at the antennas. Look at the noisy signals due to unintended signals on antennas pointed in opposite directions. I hope that makes sense:

Now here's with three antennas combined. You'll see a lot of repeat channels, because of my experimenting. I'm actually combining 2 Milwaukee Market antennas basically repeating each Channel. I just wanted to fill up the filters. I loaded up input 3:

These are the results. Interestingly, my TVs allow the repeat of virtual channels! As I scroll through after a channel scan I will have repeats for example, 24.1, 24.1, 24.2, 24.2 etc :

Oh, and the cost? I feel it's worth its weight in gold for what it can do. I believe the MSRP is $399. It can be purchased in Canada but I don't know who the distributor is.

jrauno can provide the information. You could send him a p.m...

My summary is that this is a miracle box. It does magic. That is the Layman's View.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you both for the information! This is super helpful to me and has answered my questions as to whether my idea will work or not and I think it will.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There's no doubt that the Avant X is an interesting potential solution for challenging multi-market installations, especially for multi-antenna installations that can already supply the input range requirement of -20 to 40dBmV using pre-amps or strong local signals.

Chiwaukee has done a great job of promoting his successful use case, and jrauno has backed up this enthusiasm with a responsive Televes corporate presence. However, I've been trying to source this product for the past two months (Canada & USA), without any success!

TDL Canada is far too busy with dozens of brands and Televes consumer products barely register on their radar. The Avant X isn't widely distributed in the USA, and so far hasn't generated any actionable purchasing links from my Google and Amazon searches, so I'm assuming that there's a North American supply problem.

Chiwaukee sourced his Avant X unit directly from Televes in the USA. Has anyone here (in Canada) had any success with their search for this product?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There's no doubt that the Avant X is an interesting potential solution for challenging multi-market installations, especially for multi-antenna installations that can already supply the input range requirement of -20 to 40dBmV using pre-amps or strong local signals.

Chiwaukee has done a great job of promoting his successful use case, and jrauno has backed up this enthusiasm with a responsive Televes corporate presence. However, I've been trying to source this product for the past two months (Canada & USA), without any success!

TDL Canada is far too busy with dozens of brands and Televes consumer products barely register on their radar. The Avant X isn't widely distributed in the USA, and so far hasn't generated any actionable purchasing links from my Google and Amazon searches, so I'm assuming that there's a North American supply problem.

Chiwaukee sourced his Avant X unit directly from Televes in the USA. Has anyone here (in Canada) had any success with their search for this product?
I'm surprised you having trouble getting it ,did you contact Javier? I know that Canada is restrictive on international trade as far as taxes. It's funny how everyone complains about the tariffs here, I know people that have had to claim items and have to pay huge import taxes.

Anyhow, I will forward disposed to him and he could contact you or you could just contact him. You should be able to get one of those. I did not hesitate as soon as it was announced I asked to be put on the first waiting list. 300 of them came in and 300 went out the same day. Maybe you can get open box item.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Walter, the Avant is distributed in the US from a variety of distributors (Toner Cable, Pace International, Multicom, Advanced Media Technologies, DSI, Solid Signal, Ness Electronics, etc). So far we do not have a distributor in Canada, but it is available for TDL and others. Let me know if I can be of any help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Chiwaukee, there are no import tariffs on Televes products entering the Canadian market, and there are no restrictions whatsoever on this type of product entering the Canadian market. We pay "goods and services" taxes on all purchases, but these taxes aren't restrictive in any way.

Televes has distribution agreements for their products in the Canadian market, which may include certain restrictions as to pricing, but generally speaking we're mostly at the mercy of these distributors in terms of the products that they chose to promote and/or maintain in their inventory.

Canadians are free to purchase these products from USA resellers, without any import restrictions. Taxes are paid when the goods cross the border, in the same manner as "sales taxes" levied in most USA states.

I'm surprised to see your surprise about the current Avant X product availability issues. Do you know of any USA stores that carry this product, and have inventory?

Javier, I also see your response... Do you know of any stores that have inventory? I realise that as a manufacturer representative you cannot play favorites, but it would be great if you could point us towards some useful retail links.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Walter. All the US distributors mentioned have it either in stock, or easy access to the product.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I can identify with WalterP. I've found that availability of niche products often does not exist in Canada. Canadian distributors may have agreements with US or international companies but they often fail to carry the products or impose huge markups. Ordering from the US is almost as bad. After exchange, shipping, brokerage, taxes and other fees are added, the price can be double the US price in US$. Products imported directly by manufacturers are often cheaper due to favorable terms they receive under free trade deals and other cost savings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you Javier. I looked at the websites for all the companies that you listed, prior to posting my previous message, and I didn't find any purchase links for the Avant X 532180 product. I'll follow up via email to see if any of the "Canada friendly" shops on your list have inventory, or can process a transaction.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts