Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a small cabin on my remote recreation property, which will have a phone line but no broadband internet. I'd like to set up some automation / remote control capabilities, but unfortunately the internet situation means I won't be able to connect to it unless I dial into it or have it dial up regularly.

My wish list for capabilities:
- control heating, also hopefully check multiple temp sensors (to handle internal temp and roof snow buildup)
- turn on the hot tub before heading up
- weather station data
- outdoor cameras

It seems like the simplest would be a system that I could dial into, and then access through a normal web interface, allowing me to use things like IP cameras.

Love to get some suggestions and recommendations, for the overall problem or just for any of the pieces.

Thanks!

- Jeff

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a similar situation running at the moment. I was also in the dial up camp until I got tired of paying Telus $40.00 per month for the privilege and went to a Rogers Rocket hub which has it's own pros and cons.

If you are totally limited to dial up you may want to look at Timbuktu for your remote control software as it has some dialup related features as part of the app.

My system is Mac based using an ancient PowerBook G4 as the control computer. I am sure you could implement this on HomeSeer or similar if your preference is the PC platform.

I use XTension from Sand Hill Engineering (www.shed.com), with some related apps from the current main programmer (www.sentman.com) for the web interface and graphing.

I am using X10 for my furnace temp control with a tx15 thermostat, Oregon scientific sensors for internal/external temp and humidity monitoring by wireless to a RFXCom receiver (www.RFXCom.com), x10 motion detectors, and can turn my electric water heater on and off with an Elk 9100.

I can get email notifications for temperature conditions I care about, like the pump box in my unheated garage. I went with wired panasonic cameras that FTP to the control system. Everything is self contained within the cabin environment unless something triggers a notification or I choose to look at the cabin web page.

You may find the hot tub temperature control nontrivial. I am just monitoring the temp with an OrgSci floating temp sensor and living with the power use. Most tubs don't really like to be turned right off, I just turn mine down when I am away so it can still run a normal filter cycle.

Lots of useful info on the Shed mailing list, and the related www.machomeautomation.com site even if you are Windows oriented.

I know this is just a general overview but hopefully some of the hardware I've mentioned will lead you in the right direction. if you have more questions fire away, or pm me and I will give you a password to my web page.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You might consider installing an Elk M1 gold security and automation system. It can be programmed to call you during an alarm, flood, temperature problem. You can also call in to arm/disarm, check temperature, and control the system. You can get a keypad with a built-in temperature sensor, and/or add a serial controlled thermostat or use relays for control. It also supports UPB, X10 and Insteon lighting/appliance controls when combined with the right interfaces.

This wouldn't give you web based interface or IP camera support but if you don't have an Internet connection it's a consideration.

Cheers
Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts