Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Not sure whether this belongs here, but since Rogers is my cable provider and can influence this, I'll ask anyway.)

Early this year I discovered that the PBS station in my cable line-up would no longer set the time on my TV and DVD recorder. Searching for an answer, I was told by the WQLN engineer that the device that sends the signal was analogue and supplied by PBS and had not been replaced with a digital upgrade by PBS.

So, does anyone know if such an upgrade will be forthcoming? Is there any other automatic time setting out there? Do we now need all brand new hardware to take advantage of it? Granted, my TV is over 5 years old, but it's working perfectly. I bought my DVD recorder just last year and wouldn't call it obsolete technology that's ready for the scrap heap either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 6-year-old VCR and my new Samsung TV each has the capability to obtain time setting from a TV station or cable provider. I have been told from a fairly reliable source that unfortunately this is not possible with Rogers. I have also tested, trying to use the feature via various methods, and consistent failure suggests that the source is correct. You can't do automatic time setting of such devices via Rogers.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure that it's Rogers who is at fault here, because it did work a year ago.

One more thing you should be aware of with time setting. If your device is an older one, don't toggle daylight savings time to [on]. I did that with my Magnavox DVD recorder and it automatically jumped an hour ahead the first Sunday in April after I had already set it ahead 1 hour on the first Sunday in March. I cued it to record the Malaysia F1 race, so it started an hour early and missed the end of the broadcast, even though I'd allowed an extra 1/2 hour. Fortunately the race was halted early by rain, so I didn't miss anything.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
oldyellr, this has been discussed on these forums before. I don't think it has anything to do with obsolete equipment so much as it was lost in the digital conversion.

You may want to look around for posts discussing as I know 57 has commented on it before.

·
Super Moderator
56,771 Posts
See posts 3, 11 and others in the following previous thread on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40329

It was hit and miss (mostly miss). Don't know if it works at all anymore, especially since the US is now (or will be soon, depending on the channel) all digital - no more analogue OTA as of June this year and as of February for quite a few channels.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
See I told you 57 would know!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 57 for the link! I did a lot of searching here, but never found that thread.

I personally never had a problem with my PBS channel setting the time, maybe because I have straight cable connection, no extra-cost boxes or services. However, I did notice that the time set by the PBS signal seemed to always be about a minute behind. What I see in the linked thread appears to explain it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts