Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here follow Australian Rules Football? Through the Spring and Summer, TSN2 was showing matches every Saturday evening, and I was quite enjoying them. Seems like the coverage has disappeared over the last few weeks, though the season over in Australia isn't over yet.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I watch it. I've probably watched 10 or so games this year, and I'll watch the Grand Final on Friday night.

Coverage hasn't disappeared, TSN2 only has rights to half of the finals series matches. I think that the AFL keeps the rest for their online PPV service. They have aired these games in the finals series:

Fri 9/3, 5:30am – Geelong Cats vs. St. Kilda
Sat 9/4 5:00am – Collingwood vs. Western Bulldogs
Fri 9/10, 5:30am – Geelong Cats vs. Freemantle
Fri 9/17, 5:30am - Collingwood vs. Geelong Cats

Before that they aired one game a week. Up until August these games were usually 7's Sunday Footy (Sat. night at midnight ET here), but in the final month of the regular season they aired mostly Friday Night Footy (Friday morning here).

TSN2 will have live HD coverage of the Grand Final next Friday night at 11:30pm ET.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love the fact that we can watch the Grand Final live here in Canada. I just wish we got the hype shows that are shown in Australia. Much like Grey Cup or the Super Bowl, they have tons of other programming devoted to hyping the game.

I wish cable systems would carry Network Ten. It was on the CRTC's approved list last time I checked. I figure more people would subscribe to these than some of the other "ethnic" channels currently carried by the cable companies.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
TSN will have 1 hour of pregame coverage. Personally I hate the Grey Cup and Super Bowl 5+ hour pregame shows, so I'm not complaining about not getting the Grand Final one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info about the Grand Final, NB Josh, and about the reason there was the programming change. I kept looking for 9:00 (Pacific Time) Saturday evening games, not realizing the change in schedule down under. Friday should be fun!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yep the AFL Grand Final replay is scheduled for next Friday night/early Saturday morning at midnight ET on TSN2. I think that first bounce is at 12:30am ET.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
What a Fubar....what if there is tie #2? One heckuva match, though! That comeback is staying on the PVR for awhile.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I feel asleep at quarter-time. Hopefully I can make it through the replay.

If this one is in a tie after regulation they play two 5 minute sessions of overtime (I think) and if it is still tied then they declare the game a tie and both teams are given the title.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
If this one is in a tie after regulation they play two 5 minute sessions of overtime (I think) and if it is still tied then they declare the game a tie and both teams are given the title.
As bad as CFL overtime. . .
Can the 2nd match, have a winner the first day. 100,000+ want a winner, not a draw. All the momentum is lost now.

·
Registered
611 Posts
As bad as CFL overtime. . .
Can the 2nd match, have a winner the first day. 100,000+ want a winner, not a draw. All the momentum is lost now.
Luckily you don't have a say in changing 140 years of history! ;)

From the AFL's Grand Final faq:
What happens if the grand final replay is also a draw?
Ten minutes of extra time will be played, consisting of two five-minute halves. If the scores are still tied after that period, then another 10 minutes of extra time will be played. There will be a result next Saturday.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The fans voted for the change to OT rules in their actions, as the announcers mentioned it wasn't a sellout (as confirmed below).
Paying the average ticket price of $160 or so two weeks in a row probably had a role in that though.

The AFL CEO put the heat on the host Melbourne Cricket Club (operators of the venue), but surely the venue is not solely responsible:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103685/default.aspx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts