Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I hadn't seen it already posted, this is just an FYI about the complete cable outage in Aurora that lasted from about 3:15PM Wednesday until about 1:30AM today (Thursday).

When I finally was able to reach a live person at Rogers last night at 11:45PM (having called in a couple of times prior and only been able to get an automated message saying that Rogers was experiencing a "major" outage), I was told by their helpful phone rep that a fibre optic cable had been cut somewhere, and that cable & internet service in the entire town was down. No mention of Rogers Home Phone, but I assume no cable means no phone too for those who have it.

I was told they were working on it and although no specific ETA could be given, "it should be up and running by the morning". As it turned out, service was restored less than 2hrs later.

While I was on the phone with Rogers.. as I had some emails and things I needed to get done ASAP I asked their tech if there was a TXT notification service available so that customers like myself could be alerted when service was restored. No, they don't have that.

I was told instead they do have an automated-message phone notification system available, that customers can register for on a case-by-case basis, so if I provided a contact # I'd receive a call telling me things were back up and running. But when I said "I better give you my cell# as I don't want the whole house to be woken up", he said the call wouldn't come through until after 8AM (probably for that very reason, I'd guess). That seemed rather pointless but wanting to test it out, I gave him my # anyway. Well, it's after 11AM now, and service has been back up for almost 10hrs, and no call has been received. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I noticed a poster on the Rogers Community Forums saying earlier this morning that it had gone again, and remained off; their last post was 9hours ago, which would have been 8AM link
rkilkenny on RCF said:
Came on sometime in the night, saw it was on at 5 am'ish this morning. By 5:30, it was offline again and is still offline.
rkilkenny on RCF said:
Rogers ahs an automated message when you call support - all of Aurora, Newmarket and surrounding areas are out, and will be fixed "as soon as possible".
I was unaware of that, it's been fine here at my house since I got up not long after that post.

There was another thread there about yesterday's outage, here

1 - 2 of 2 Posts