Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Audyssey Discussion: Your Experience and Review

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  blueroomelectro 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is to discuss members experience with the Audyssey Sound Correction technologies that are found on many A/V Receivers on the market today.

The two major technologies are branded Multi-EQ and Dynamic EQ,

Brands using Audyssey
  • Denon
  • Integra
  • Marantz
  • Nad
  • Onkyo

Links of Interest
Forum threads of note discussing Audyssey

See less See more
#2 ·
From Audyssey website

What is Audyssey Dynamic EQ?

Audyssey Dynamic EQ is the first loudness correction technology to solve the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics.

Why is loudness correction needed?
Film composers, musicians, and audio engineers create the mixes of your favorite movies and music at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At a lower playback volume, voices change, bass disappears, and the surround soundstage becomes less enveloping. Now, Dynamic EQ lets you enjoy the original rich sound at any volume.

How does Dynamic EQ Work?

Audyssey Dynamic EQ selects the correct frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. The result is something never before possible—bass response, octave-to-octave balance and surround impression that remain as they should be despite changes in volume. This is the first technology to carefully combine information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a loudness correction solution.

#3 ·
From Audyssey website

How does MultEQ work?

Three easy steps:

1. Hook up the microphone, place it in the middle of the listening area, push a button, wait quietly while MultEQ pings each speaker with a special signal.
2. Move the microphone to up to 8 (32 in the Pro version) positions and wait for the speakers to be pinged again.
3. MultEQ calculates a room correction solution for each channel.

Done. Total time elapsed about 8 minutes.

Then the fun starts. Turn it on and be amazed how your system sounds.

#4 ·
Of members who have an A/V receiver employing Audyssey technologies, what are your thoughts.

Please let us know if you are talking about MultEQ usage or the sound after DynamicEQ processing.

#6 ·
Please lets restrict this discussion to Audyssey. Other members are free to create a similar thread regarding competing versions.

#7 ·
Just as an FYI, the last link in post 1 discusses the fact that Audyssey is not the same on all AVRs that have it (same for YPAO, etc.). The more you spend on your AVR, the more features you'll get - mic positions, EQ, etc.

Therefore one person's experience with an inexpensive AVR would be totally different from someone with a Flagship AVR. (for example, second last link in post 1)

#8 ·
My Onkyo 705 has the MultEQ version. Its very easy to run and the resulting sound quality is very good. Unfortunately, for my model, Onkyo has decided their amps aren't powerful enough to let Audyssey take full control.

Most people won't notice if they mainly listen to movies. I only found two others on another forum that noticed what I did. I am disappointed with Onkyo but I think Audyssey works very well. I would like to hear a receiver where it can be fully implemented without being crippled by the manufacturer.

#9 ·
I've run the Audyssey MutliEQ setup routine that came with my Denon 3808. The first time was using a set of Kenwood speakers and sub from a HTiB that I had.

While the balance seemed pretty much spot on (though the right rear seemed weak on all but true 5.1 broadcasts) I was rather underwhelmed overall...

Then I replaced the Kenwood speakers with a 5.1 package of Tannoy speakers & matching sub and recalibrated... Holy Mackinaw! :eek: NOW I was really hearing the power of the Denon and the potential of the Audyssey software to compensate for the listening area deficiencies... most impressed I am.

NefCanuck

#10 ·
For now I have turned mine off on my Denon 2807. I found the sound unimpressive and they (it) had the sub setting too low for my liking. I just haven't had the time to see if I can tweak it and have since repositioned a few components as I developed my home theater set-up. I'll give it another shot, though, after I'm at my final configuration as I'm still looking for some stands for my rears.

#11 ·
I have the Audyseey 2EQ on my Onkyo 605,, but I did have the Denon 688 which has the MultiEQ, honeslty I dont hear a difference between the 2. I like it, it samples 3 listening locations and figures out the rest for me. What more can I ask.

#12 ·
Audyssey MutliEQ on Integra DHC-9.9

I hope I'm in the right thread for Audyssey MutliEQ troubleshooting, if not, I apologize and so please redirect me to the appropriate thread.

I'm using Audyssey MutliEQ on my Integra DHC-9.9 preamp for the first time, but I keep getting "speaker detect error" on my mains. I have a 5.1 setup and have double and triple checked all speaker connections, but still keep getting the same error. As a side note, it appears that my mains are emitting the calibration "pops" at a lower volume and octave than the rest of the speakers. Increasing the speaker level of my mains does not address the issue :confused:.

#13 ·
^ Your mains could have a lower sensitivity than the other speakers. You can't adjust the chirp level yourself, Audyssey does that itself if necessary.

Usually, when things are properly wired up and all amps are working, the error you're getting means something is broken. Lots of people have discovered blown midrange drivers and even tweeters with Audyssey...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's what it is. :(

I can't tell you how many times I've been to people's houses and detected a "missing" midrange driver, when I can see there is one. I am too polite to mention it LOL.

#14 ·
You don't mention the make/model of your speakers. If they are the type that can be bi-amped, perhaps the jumper isn't properly in place, or the speaker wire is going to the wrong terminals, or as mentioned above - faulty speaker.

Sometimes everything is fine and the speaker setup software is simply incorrect about there being an issue, although if the volume on the speakers isn't the same after the setup, then it would be likely that there is something wrong.

#16 ·
...perhaps the jumper isn't properly in place, or the speaker wire is going to the wrong terminals...
Very good thought re the jumper. It is especially easier in a 5.1/7.1 system to overlook (overhear??) if one or more drivers are damaged/disconnected as other speakers are sort of filling in.

Audyssey is excellent for checking speaker/amp stuff out. It even detected that in one set of my speakers that the HF and LF drivers were wired out of phase in the *time domain*...turned out to be 100% true and intentional after some research, and I thought I knew "all" about those speakers I've had for >30 years...

#15 ·
I find Audyssey very worthwhile. Bear in mind it is ONLY ONLY ONLY intended for movie soundtracks. NOT music in general, NOT TV audio, etc. If you like it with other things besides soundtracks, that's your business, but don't judge it outside of its intended and designed context. It is calibrating your room and system to a known set of "standards" that are mostly followed for movie sound these days. Like an ISF cal for a display, it may take some time to get used to it.

As 57 says, the version of Audyssey you have makes a large difference. You want to take the most measurements your Audyssey version allows. The XT versions have much better subwoofer integration. The Pro version is the best.

Bottom line, for movies a good version of Audyssey is definitely something worth paying extra for. But you have to use it and set it up properly. Otherwise skip it if you aren't going to make the effort. Sad thing is, the crappier and more poorly set up your system is, the greater the benefit Audyssey will have, but those are the people who won't use it... :)

Edit: oh yeah, I am using a Denon 3808 as a pre-pro. It has Audyssey MultiEQ XT and DynamicEQ and Dynamic Volume. DynamicEQ is good for some things, took me a while to get used to it as it boosts the lower frequencies more than I'd prefer. I tend to listen loud, but even then at not so much less than Audyssey "reference" levels I can hear it working just a bit. Dynamic Volume I am against in principle, as I am against all forms of compression :), but I have to admit it has its place. Geez the volume of TV commercials can be awfully boosted, and DynVol in its most active mode kills that for sure. What I really like it for is old TV and movie DVDs, where the sound levels go all over the place. I especially notice it with music in such video, where the music seems to be hugely boosted above the dialog levels and I'm continually punching on the remote. DynVol fixes that and makes watching much more relaxing and enjoyable for me.

In this implementation, there are several different Audyssey target curves/methods to choose from. For instance, one to use if the movie sound was mastered to the THX standard (which is not "normal"), etc. You can also save/reload a setup, but you can only have one Audyssey measurement set active at a time. You can change some things, like individual speaker-to-subwoofer XOs, without affecting the Audyssey curve, though it will change the LF sound. When you enable Audyssey, then you have the option of also enabling DynamicEQ if desired. Once you enable DynamicEQ, then you have the option of enabling Dynamic Volume. IOW you don't have to use them all, but there is a hierarchy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.