Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of this set up? It's a large, square room with bookshelves and NO room for a normal sized sub. This is the product of my 5 hours of net research. Your expertise would really be appreciated.

Sub: YST-FSW150BL 130W Down Firing Subwoofer Yamaha

R/L speakers: Lsi9 bookshelves - polkaudio

Center: LSiC - polkaudio

Rear/Surrounds: LSiF/X - polkaudio

Receiver: Yamaha RX-797 receiver

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Yamaha RX-797 receiver

i believe this is a stereo receiver. wouldn't you want well featured AVR to max out your HT experience ?

yeah .. highest level Polk LSi series, should sound very good indeed, but audio character is personal preference. if you can, listen to them first.
what are the dimensions of the Polk micro subs ?

i have heard these little micro subs (other manufacturers) ... they pack a lot of punch (and don't take up much room @ all if you can squeeze it in)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback pharsyde.

Yes this is a stereo receiver. I've chosen this by design, as this set up is for my living room, of which will never have video - it's strictly a music room.

The smallest Polk microsub is the 'DSW microPRO 1000' and its dimensions are 12-5/8" H x 11". However, I was thinking of using the YST-FSW150BL 130W Down Firing Subwoofer from Yamaha. The dimensions on this little guy are 14.75" Height x 15.75" Width x 6.20" Depth. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Sub ... R/L ... Center ... Rear/Surrounds ... stereo receiver.
Not sure how were you planning to set up that stereo receiver to run 5.1 speakers but, since you are planning to run 5.1 speakers, get an AVR. It doesn't matter that you won't use it for video.

Personally, I wouldn't go for a Yamaha sub. What's the biggest sub (l x w x h) you can squeeze in?

Also, what's your budget for the individual components and/or your total budget?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's been awhile since I was on the Polk site, but I would make sure you can return the LSi's if you don't like them. From what I remember, they're power hungry and you want to make sure that your receiver is not going to under power the LSi's. From what I have read, they can sound really bad when under powered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eljay, my budget is about 3 grand - the room is about 15 ftx15 ft and 12 ft ceilings... It is also not a closed off room and is open to the kitchen and a large staircase.

I can also get a good deal on a Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver for $400.00, you'd that do?

I would need to fit my sub on a bookshelf with rather small spaces... thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
I can also get a good deal on a Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver for $400.00, you'd that do?
Yup, that should do just fine. Given that the RX-V1700 has pre-outputs, and if power is a concern (given wgauci's comments re. the Polk LSi's), you can always look at picking up an Emotiva power amp, currently on sale.

(If an Emotiva amp does interest you, you may want to check out emotivalounge.com - the official Emotiva forum site - for threads discussing various amp configurations.)

I would need to fit my sub on a bookshelf with rather small spaces... thoughts?
My first thought is "Find some space!" ;) I'm still not clear on exactly what dimensions you're looking at but, in my opinion, a flat sub like that Yamaha is just not going to do much for you.

A couple of suggestions:
- a used Energy S10.3, a wicked little sub (there are a couple listed on canuckaudiomart.com, one of them for a very low price);
- a used Paradigm Seismic 12 (more expensive, but quite a bit more powerful than the S10.3).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts