Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so, I've been noticing that we have to turn our TV volume up to ridiculously loud levels just to be able to hear the audio while watching both HD and SD channels. I don't think this is a TV issue as when I watch a Blu Ray the sound is loud at a volume level of 20. I have to turn it up to anywhere between 50-80 to watch all SD channels and a few HD channels. Yesterday while watching the hockey game on CBC HD, we had the volume up to 50 just to be able to hear the commentary. How can I test if this is a TV or PVR or Shaw issue? We have a Motorola DCT 3416 PVR hooked up to the TV right now.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm assuming from what you explained that the box is hooked directly to the TV for sound and not through an AMP or Home Theater system?

I don't have a 3400, but on my 6412, there is a volume setting on the box itself. Most times its fixed at a certain level, and the remote is set to control the TV's volume only. When your Shaw remote is set up, the volume is locked to the TV, so there's no way it should have adjusted the box...but it's worth a look. If this is the case you'd have to 'unlock' the remote so it controls the volume on the box rather than the TV...then you can switch it back.

There are some 'Audio' settings on the box as well...go into the Setup Menu, then "Audio Setup" and fiddle with those for a bit and see what you can figure. There is an "Optimize Audio" button that might 'reset' everything for you?

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!! I went to the audio options under settings on my PVR and switched it to TV speakers from Stereo and the volume instantly increased and now seems to better reflect the actual volume number on my TV. I tried out an SD channel and I don't have to crank it to 50 just to hear the news now. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts