Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you are all well aware of the ridiculously low volume on the movie networks (300's) -3100- that require one to crank up the volume to max to hear it properly making recordings s/n ratio horrible. Then when the barker comes in it gets cranked up to "normal" explosive volume.

Question , why do we put up with this poor service and has this been addressed or even acknowledged by Bell TV at all ? There is absolutely no logical reason whatsoever for them to do this (save on bandwidth etc.). The problem is exacerbated on the 4100 which has lower output level and no way to control the volume !

Incredible..and since I am beefing how about how they cut out the scenes from next's weeks episodes of HBO .. again more compromises, frustrations, and the Canadian thing of settling for poor service.

grrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The issue in not only on the 3100...

I have a 9200 & a 9242...at V channel I haveto raise the volume to somtimes 24-25 to hear it well while I can put it at 19-20 on other channels

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm sure you are all well aware of the ridiculously low volume on the movie networks (300's) -3100- that require one to crank up the volume to max to hear it properly making recordings s/n ratio horrible. Then when the barker comes in it gets cranked up to "normal" explosive volume.
If certain content on the channel is louder than others, it is highly likely that that's the way the signal is being received by Bell. It's not like someone is sitting at Bell turning up the volume when the movie is over...

·
Super Moderator
5,075 Posts
I find volume low (two 9241's) across the board on Bell. But yes, definitely on the movie networks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I beg to differ. This tactic has been used for many years now.
You blast your tv to watch the show, then when it ends the volume reverts to 'normal' exploding the barker information for all to hear. No somebody is not adjusting the volume, it is done electronically using compressors/expandors.

Again , this would be intolerable on US cable and satellite signals but we are all sheep here and nobody or not enough people complain - I've done my part.
Btw Bell is where aware of the issue but refuses to do a damn thing !!!
Nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love to hate Bell as much as the next guy but this is not their fault/doing or problem. This issue has been addressed by many consumer protection shows and the fault is with the advertiser or should I say the advertiser has designed it this way. This problem is an issue south of the border also, so the grass is not always greener.

Obama signs Whitehouse bill banning loud TV ads:

http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/12/obama-to-sign-whitehouse-bill.html

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Now that this issue is going to the CRTC it appears, at least to my ears, that more channels have higher than previous audio levels. Not so much for commercials but for all programing on the channel. Switchi ng a few channels early this afternoon almost blew our ears off.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
This is the same on other providers too, for example, I pick up Galaxy 19 via an FTA Receiver, some channels are very low, others are ridiculously high, you just learn to lower the volume before changing channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts