Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Whatever you’d like to call it, it’s causing problems for my reception. However, it hasn’t for years. Hence my original suspicion that Shaw may be turning down the signal at certain points in the day. We used to turn down the power back in the nineties between midnight and six am at one of Canada’s specialty channels. Just a thought. Thanks for the links. Have you tried to make them work?

PS: a rose by any other name:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/sunspot3.htm

https://www.gpcom.com/what-are-sun-spots-and-how-are-they-affecting-your-cable-television/

·
Super Moderator
56,461 Posts
Sunspots and CMEs can affect satellites and even terrestrial activity like power generation/systems causing a massive power failure a few years back. However, they are totally different and infrequent phenomena. Links work fine for me...try a computer or different browser?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Oh no, I got them to work fine, just wondered if you did. They were out by 10 minutes, but that’s close enough to prove what I thought was happening.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Solar activity can affect satellite TV day or night. Of course, solar transit can only affect daytime TV. I am not sure of my understanding of the information provided at the website listed. Maybe someone could interpret it in relation to these audio/video dropouts on Shaw Direct.

Solar Terrestrial Activity Report

·
Registered
904 Posts
From time to time, (not constantly) the sound on the western net feeds (ABC, NBC, CBS) drops out and a sound like the old" dial up internet sound " cuts in for a second, and then the sound goes back to normal. Yesterday, I noticed it on NBC and this morning I noticed it on ABC channel 231.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I can confirm this - KTLA is awful, with dropouts every 5-10 seconds. Programs are unwatchable. Will start reviewing more channels today

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
This issue is as old as HDTV on Canadian satellite and cable. I've been putting up with it for 18 years. It happens on all providers but Shaw seems to be the worst. Even worse is that Shaw provides feeds to other BDUs so it affects many cable systems. I doubt it will ever be fixed because Canadian broadcasters don't want us watching US channels and this is just another way for them to discourage it. Since the same companies own TV stations and networks as well as the major cable and satellite systems, they have a vested interest in providing defective US signals to Canadians.

·
Registered
904 Posts
ExDilbert, I haven't noticed these drop outs on the Eastern Nets, lately. It would be the Detroit and Rochester signals that would be in direct competition with my Eastern Canadian nets. Hopefully the Western Net sound problems are not done on purpose. It is an interesting conspiracy theory, however.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I've seen a number of glitches on Global as well. I think the source is Global itself. They may be having issues with their US feed. I've also seen issues with CBS programming on CHCH.

Hopefully the Western Net sound problems are not done on purpose.
It's not done on purpose but I get the definite impression that it's not being fixed on purpose. (It's been an issue with some stations for 18 years and counting despite being reported for just as many years.) I often record a program twice, once on the Canadian eastern feed and on the US west coast feed. Sometimes they are both glitchy due to technical issues. The solution would be to have a choice to watch the eastern US feed as well but the same companies who mess up both the western US feed and the eastern Canadian feed won't allow that.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The only dropouts I've had are on Global and not recently.
From the comments I see here, my guess would be that it depends on the time of day, as well as the program that we are watching. Different channels and different programs at different times have glitzes in them. Some would be the fault of the originating network, some the fault of the channel, some caused by a poor simsub, and some glitzes will be Shaw Direct problems.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts