Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Audio/Video Dropouts not at subscriber side

I have an external drive. The 630 reports 25% drive full. EcbNo: 8.8 dB
Automobile mechanics often say that an intermittent problem is hard to fix if the mechanic cannot see the fault.
This is especially true if it is an occasional occurrence. I'm sure that SD is trying to figure it out.

I guess that it is an internal data processing problem within the SD Mother Ship somewhere between the source material and what is being uplinked. :nerd

·
Registered
83 Posts
Audio dropout failures on Shaw Cable using Motorola 3400 and Arris gateway
in two totally separate locations in Vancouver,
so not going to be a hard drive problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dropouts back with a vengeance the last few days. Still mostly noticed on Global Vanc (212) as that is what we watch mostly, but also some others. Was so bad on 212 last night we switched to CTV Vanc (214) and breakups there as well although not so bad.
Signal is 91-92 with EcbNo around 7dB.
-Rob-

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Dropouts back with a vengeance the last few days. Still mostly noticed on Global Vanc (212) as that is what we watch mostly, but also some others. Was so bad on 212 last night we switched to CTV Vanc (214) and breakups there as well although not so bad.
Signal is 91-92 with EcbNo around 7dB.
-Rob-
Well this is reason enough for a 25% rate hike... hehe

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Rob - adding this to my open incident ticket for investigation...

EDIT: specific times and programs would be helpful, if you're willing to provide that information. The more information the better, though we are having teams monitor!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks Rob - adding this to my open incident ticket for investigation...

EDIT: specific times and programs would be helpful, if you're willing to provide that information. The more information the better, though we are having teams monitor!
the last two nights, all my late-night TSN broadcasts have been free of problems.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I think it was Thursday (Feb 6) a little after 10PM Eastern, CNN has TERRIBLE dropouts. I switched to MSNBC and it was fine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Wednesday, Feb 26 11:36AM Eastern 258 CNN video and audio experience frequent breakups. No freeze and restart however
Signal 97 EcbNo: 8.5 dB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wednesday, Feb 26 11:36AM Eastern 258 CNN video and audio experience frequent breakups. No freeze and restart however
Signal 97 EcbNo: 8.5 dB
Hi RuralRouter,
I'm a hard core CNN watcher and I regularly experience video & audio drop outs on a daily basis even though I enjoy an excellent signal strength.

I'm wondering if K801809 could look into it trying to investigate and identify the causes of those drop outs!

Hoping K801809 will get back to us with the results of his/her findings!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Maybe we need to start contacting the broadcasters, like CTV, who air shows like ‘Picard’ with very expensive commercial content. Or would they not care?

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Depends on the network. I've found that Bell-owned networks (TSN, CTV) are totally unresponsive. I've found that PBS or TVO are typically responsive.

Picard also airs on Crave OD (without commercials). Have you tried watching there? Not sure of you can access OD with SD. I haven't had any dropout issues of any kind on Rogers Digital Cable in Toronto.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ok, Thanks.

No dropouts of ANY KIND on Rogers Cable.... so nothing wrong with the source material then.

Hello Shaw - are you reading this?

But the price increase was delivered unaffected.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
My personal experience is :
dropouts only when SHAW box has cold start
(turn on TV, or start recording when TV has not been on)
Dropouts diminish or disappear in a few moments and do not return.
I never experience dropouts changing to 'bad' channels if TV has been on another channel for more than a few moments.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
So I watched this episode from my 630 and I was concerned based on these reports. It was the later airing and interestingly there were no dropouts.
I’m getting occasional dropouts, still on TSN and CNN. But here’s something, and I wonder if they’re tied together, aka weaker signals all around: the last three or four days, at precisely 2:26pm, EST, I’m getting what most of us used to call Sun-spot signal interruption. This is the week/month for this, and it is always around the same time, and lasts approx. 10 min.

So if you’re bored, even if you don’t completely lose signal, check your strength between 2:20 and 2:35pm and compare to an hour before/later.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
...what most of us used to call Sun-spot signal interruption.
It's called sun transit or solar transit. Nothing to do with sun spots. Here's the link you can use to calculate the time for your specific location, satellite, etc.

https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Content/English/Suntransit.htm

And here's more general information on the topic. Although it can certainly cause problems, I doubt that the problems discussed in this thread are as a result of the solar transit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_transit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

81 - 100 of 111 Posts