Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The video stops, jitters and then starts again a second or two later in the program. I have excellent signal strength.
Are you still hearing / seeing this? All TSN channels have been doing this for a week now. k801809, any idea what’s going on? Have you noticed TSN acting up?

Signal strength is good, as are all other channels. TSN is unrecordable, as the dropouts cause recordings to stutter. But watching ‘live’ isn’t as noticeable.

Any idea if there will be a fix, if you even see a problem k801809?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have some teams monitoring... They haven't been hearing them though today. Perhaps it's particular programs, or a certain time? If you could pass along any patterns you notice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Seems to be happening on every recording of the show Jay & Dan, regardless of channel. Show airs at midnight and 3am. Every show for a week is hiccuping, and it is noticeable live as well as the recording, so I’m ruling out my 630 hard drive. Is TSN turning down the power at midnight?

Note: I am monitoring and recording ESPN FC, and all seems normal. A nighttime issue maybe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
We noticed it mostly on Global BC (212) during their news time slots morning and evening. Also occasionally on History (411 or 412). It has been fine for the last couple of weeks though.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
We noticed it mostly on Global BC (212) during their news time slots morning and evening. Also occasionally on History (411 or 412). It has been fine for the last couple of weeks though.
I’ll try that channel tonight as well, thanks.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a couple of still photos from last night's broadcast, but this forum needs an URL to post them from, which I don't have

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks, I stand corrected. But 'Photos and Albums' is under 'Networking' as opposed to 'Community' possibly?

Anyway, here’s what it looks like when video and audio hiccup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go figure. Watching Forged in Fire on History (441) tonight and quite a bit of breakup; audio and video.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was watching portions of the New Hampshire Democratic primary on CNN (258) last night, and also noticed a bit of breakup; audio and video.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks all - @tvmaster, that's Jay and Dan that you've supplied a picture for?

The teams replied overnight and said they saw audio dropouts during the program, but interestingly enough, on both satellite and cable. They've escalated to TSN.

I've provided the additional examples, thank you again.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Does TSN have any ability to lower the strength of its signal to Shaw (as a money-saving device), or should that be ruled out? The problem resembles what a weak satellite signal looks like, but other channels recorded at the same time show no ill-effects. I haven’t checked signal strength at that time as I’m often asleep. If anyone else wants to report their signal strength at the time they notice hiccups, that may help. But since others here are getting this on multiple networks BESIDES TSN, it seems like a Shaw thing?

PS: they ‘heard’ audio dropouts? hehe

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, good signal. Usually hear an audio drop out followed by a brief video breakup. Happens live and when PVR'd.
Interestingly, it has been fine for the last few days.
-Rob-
that sounds exactly what I’m hearing and seeing as well. Signal strength is good when I can catch it. Something funny going on with the Shaw headends, if it’s seen on cable AND satellite?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Although the Global problem is obvious, in my case I get two or three audio drops when FIRST tuning in, or
changing channels.
Same thing with some recordings, so it appears more to be the gateway re-synchronizing the new signal.
Never happens again during the program.

·
Registered
866 Posts
that sounds exactly what I’m hearing and seeing as well. Signal strength is good when I can catch it. Something funny going on with the Shaw headends, if it’s seen on cable AND satellite?
Yes, this doesn't seem to be a thread on Bell, Eastlink , Rogers, or any other provider; so it does seem like a Shaw Communications issue.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
We watched the DVR'ed premier ABC episode of "For Life". It had those video dropouts and quick restart a few seconds later. I've seen it on different networks. It is a sporadic thing so it would be hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It appears as if the signal has been weakened, or bandwidth reduced, or Shaw is trying a new compression scheme THAT ISN'T WORKING! For all the price increases, this should NEVER be happening, should it?

PS - for all of us having this problem, are you using a 630 or 830 if recording, and are they old enough, or are the hard drives full enough that it may be a hard drive issue. I don’t think my seven-year-old 630 is the problem, as I see it live on this and a 605 in another room.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have also seen this over the past week on CNN.. thought it maybe an up-link issue by Shaw Direct.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts