Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a Toshiba 55G300U and I hooked it up the same as the 52" Toshiba LCD we moved into the games room for the kids.
I ran the audio straight to the receiver using the optical inputs but when I did the the video and audio were out of sync. I can delay the audio with my Denon but instead I ran an optical cable from the TV output to receiver input and everything works fine.

Just wondering, is this normal or a quirk with this particular TV? Funny the other Toshiba LCD set never had this problem...?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As 57 states, it's probably a delay in the video display due to video processing. Some A/V receivers and video sources have an option to delay the audio to match. The best solution would be to do it with the A/V receiver.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57, in the TV's AUDIO settings I have an "optical output format" tab with the options DOLBY DIGITAL or PCM, so if I select Dobly Digital I should have 5.1 to my receiver, right?
What would the PCM option be used for?
I tried switching them, doesn't sound like it makes a difference (at least not with the discovery World HD program I'm watching right now).

Or am I better off running the optical audio reight to the receiver and adjusting the delay to sync with the video?
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same TV (almost)

I have the same model of TV just a little smaller version. According to my owners manual:
Digital Audio Out:Optical audio output in Dolby Digital or PCMformat for connecting to an external Dolby Digital decoder, amplifier, A/V receiver, or home theater system with optical audio input.

Once you have the toslink connected you should be able to go to the "audio setup" menu on the tv and choose your output type - pcm or Dolby Digital.

I am not sure what exactly it means by PCM or Dolby Digital or if both are multichannel or if the pcm is stereo only.

I only use mine with some dlna material and have not checked to see what the output stream is in each mode.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted, do you run the audio through your TV to your receiver or run the optical audio directly to your receiver?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
PCM from TVs is stereo only (stands for pulse code modulation). However, even with the setting on DD, it may not "pass" DD since these settings can often be for the ATSC/QAM tuner output and not to pass an incoming signal, as discussed in the FAQ.

The AVR should show you if you're receiving DD5.1 passed through the TV via an indicator on the front of the AVR or via a "input signal" description in the OSD of the AVR.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never been able to figure out how to get the AVR's OSDt to show up on the TV screen with the normal video signal but I'll dig out the manual and see if I can figure it out.
Like how can I view that at the same time as the normal video?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Some AVRs require a composite (yellow) video connection to the TV. Many AVRs also scroll the signal across the front panel whenever the signal changes (say switching from a DD2.0 to DD5.1 channel), or when you change the input from one input to another. Also, some front displays have a light or small writing to indicate DD5.1 or PCM, etc. All this should be outlined in the OM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
audio

"Ted, do you run the audio through your TV to your receiver or run the optical audio directly to your receiver?"

Actually I am running HDMI for all but the TV's DLNA client. Audio for the DNLA is coming over optical from the TV with the TV set to Dolby Digital.

PCM can be multichannel or stereo and there is no mention in the manual as to it being one or the other.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Although you can get multi-channel PCM from a BD player that can decode lossless audio (Dolby True-HD or DTS-MA), as I mentioned in a previous post, PCM from a TV is going to be two-channel. Also to get MC-PCM you need an HDMI connection or multiple analogue cables. You won't get it via Optical.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An update.
First off, I have no 'monitor in' on this Toshiba LCD, the only way to see my receiver's on screen display is to switch the TV input to the receivers output.

Also, I noe get all my audio for the receiver from an optical cable from the TV, my audio us still delayed slightly even though the receiver's audio delay is set to zero.
I'm going to try audio from each compinent to the receiver and using it's delay to link up with the video, if this doesn't work I'll call tech support at Toshiba and/or bring the TV back. I hate it when things are out of sync.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts