Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorola has announced that we will not be getting the Android 2.1 software upgrade that was promised. What does this mean? Once the US motoblur owners are all on 2.1 you will see very little new apps come out for 1.5. Already there are many apps we cann't get. As well there will be no upgrades for the browser so you will see an increasing number of websites you won't be able to load(like anything using flash).

Call your carrier and ask for the 2.1 upgrade or to take your phone back and give you a phone that does have 2.1. "Escalate" it to the highest dept you can.

I bought my phone 2 months ago and was assured that the Backflip would get 2.1 get like in the US. Now I've found out its not true. Already I can't get apps like Kobo and Angrybirds. Can you imagine how obsolete these phones will be in a year? And I JUST started a 3year contract!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting the USA gets the upgrade and Canada does not. I wonder if there is a cost involved to the carrier from Motorola to roll the upgrade out to customers?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Might as well root it and go get the custom rom for it then. Maybe you will get lucky in your search and find somewhere that did up a 2.2 rom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats excatly it. Motorola charges the carrier to customize it for their network. None on the Canadian carriers have opted to buy the upgrade even though they promised it.

I could root it but that will void my warrenty and is outside of my technical comfort zone.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
this sucks for my wife.... She wont really care, but it bugs me that she is stuck on 1.5, i want to share apps with her but cannot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I share the OPs sentiment about having just started a three year term. We got our 13 yr old daughter the Dext in August so this is quite disappointing. Like most girls her age, she mostly wanted it for texting but she also wants to do things like Farmville.

My own contract is up for renewal next week and I'm very hesitant to upgrade to the Galaxy S that my wife has for a similar reason: supposedly Froyo is coming late November but I've learned to believe that when it happens.

From https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades:

Code:
USA
----------------------------
BACKFLIP (USA)                   Upgrade to Android 2.1 - testing in process, planned for late Q3/early Q4
CLIQ (USA)                       Upgrade to Android 2.1 - testing in process, planned for late Q3/early Q4
CLIQ XT (USA)                    Upgrade to Android 2.1 - testing in process, planned for late Q3/early Q4
DEVOUR (USA)                     Will remain on Android 1.6 for the best combined hardware and software experience
DROID by Motorola (USA)          Upgrade to Android 2.2 is complete**
DROID X by Motorola (USA)        Upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for late summer.

Canada
BACKFLIP (Canada)                Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
DEXT (Canada)                    Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
MILESTONE (Canada)               Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011
QUENCH (Canada)                  Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience

Europe
BACKFLIP (Europe)                Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
DEXT (Europe)                    Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
MILESTONE (Europe)               Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q4

Asia-Pacific
BACKFLIP (Asia-Pacific)          Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
DEXT (Asia-Pacific)              Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
MILESTONE (China)                Upgrade to Android 2.2 under evaluation
MILESTONE (Rest of Asia-Pacific) Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011
QUENCH (Asia-Pacific)            Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
MOTOQRTY (Korea)                 Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011
MOTOROI (Korea)                  Upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q4
MOTOGLAM (Korea)                 Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011

Latin America and Mexico
BACKFLIP (Latin America/Mexico)  Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
DEXT (Latin America/Mexico)      Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
MILESTONE (Latin America)        Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011
QUENCH (Latin America)           Will remain on Android 1.5 for the best combined hardware and software experience
Guess I better be off to learn how to root a phone....

·
Registered
645 Posts
I picked up the DEXT in June and at the time there was no promise made that we would be getting anything higher than Android 1.5. The DEXT wasn't even listed on the official Motorola upgrade chart (the Backflip & Quench were).

Obviously I'm not happy about having a phone with an outdated operating system four months in to a 36 month contract, but from what I recall no marketing materials I saw from Bell ever said anything about an upgrade being offered (just internet rumours from others who purchased the phone).

The DEXT is still a pretty good phone that does what I want (the QWERTY keypad was the reason I opted for it) but once the official T-Mobile 2.1 CLIQ upgrade and source code are released I'm confident the enthusiasts will be cooking up custom 2.1 (and 2.2) ROMS that will likely run better than the stock Motorola release.

I've already tried an exploit that temporarily gives root access to my phone (until it's rebooted) and since it worked fine I'll be waiting until the one year warranty has expired and then rooting permanently.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unfortunately I must agree with mark. I just ass-u-me 'd that getting an upgrade was a given. Why carriers have to fudge with the software is not clear to me. The stuff they put on is generally crap anyway so why bother?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've now rooted and upgraded my Bell DEXT to a custom version of the official 2.1 Motorola upgrade.

It's great having access to things like full voice navigation, multi-touch and all the market applications that require Android 2.1.

The hardware may be a little dated but it feels like I've got a whole new phone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Backflip ROM

Has anyone here successfully installed a ROM to take the backflip beyond 1.5?

If so any tips on where to get one and how to install it without turning my backflip into a brick?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

Would you be able to help me out with getting my Dext updated, I am a little leery of doing this as I have read some horror stories about losing the 3g functionality.

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
645 Posts
There's not a lot of information for Canadian DEXT (or BACKFLIP and QUENCH) users wanting to upgrade their device to Android 2.1 and beyond. I found and followed an excellent guide that detailed every step required to perform the upgrade. The main procedure is as follows:

• Use an exploit to gain temporary elevated (root) access to the phone's filesystem
  • Install a program that allows the user to grant superuser access to applications that request it
  • Flash a custom recovery image to the device
  • Use the custom recovery to create a Nandroid backup of the phone's filesystem
  • Use the custom recovery to upgrade the phone's operating system to Android 2.1
Unfortunately due to the rules of this site I can not provide a link or mention where I found the guide I used.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Do "ALOT" of reading over at xda-developers and PPCGEEKS... Both of them had me flash dancing roms into my windowsmobile diamond for the past year and a bit. My desire is far from getting borring.. so i have not explored custom roms for it yet.

Flashing roms is not that scary. Best thing is to research what to do when things go wrong. I knew how to do a hard reset, get into the bootloader, flash back to stock carrier roms ect ect. dont go in have azzed. Make sure you understand before you go forward and you will have a great experience. The ROM developers are dedicated to there craft.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I took the plunge today. Rooted, did a backup of my existing ROM and then installed 2.1 on my Telus backflip. Its like a whole new phone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a backflip and am considering rooting it and upgrading to 2.1. Can you point me at where you got your information from? It might save me a lot of grief.:p

Kelvin
Calgary, AB

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
+1 post your steps. I know that i can flash a rom to a windows mobile phone in my sleep now, but i have not taken a serious look at android flashing yet. My wife's backflip sux i so want to upgrade it, everytime i show here a jeewiz bang app on my desire she cannot use it. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am new to the Android OS having used Nokia for numerous years.

Question: What does it mean to root your phone? I read somewhere that you can do so at your own peril but it could turn into a "brick" too.

I purchased an unlocked Motorola Atrix and put in Rogers APN info. Seems to be running great except I cannot receive MMS with pictures, yet.

So as far as the OP's post - can you only get OS SW upgrades through your network provider? I did a SW update on a Nokia smartphone while I was in the USA last year (it was set to automatically update OTA).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
you will have to get the official ones through motorola, the Atrix being the flagship from moto im thinking your getting updates asap. you may just need to do them through there site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts