Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
TiVo forced cable companies to change their hardware with a patent lawsuit so it's definitely not impossible. Large corporations like Sony have lots of patents and lots of resources to enforce them. That's in addition to market leverage. The FCC does not create or change laws. They create and enforce regulations. The government creates and changes laws.
On what grounds could Sony sue anyone regarding ATSC 3.0? What patents do they own that have been infringed. The government will not get involved in this, they will also tell Sony to grow up, either charge more for their content, or stop selling their content to broadcasters who have paid to broadcast it. ATSC 3.0 will be market driven.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
That ATSC 3.0 version of the HDHR has been shipping for a while, at least for early funders of it. I don't think it actually has a DVR, it is just a tuner that connects into your LAN, but you can use this with a PC to record channels, or you can use the HDHR app to watch content on devices like phones, tablets, Rokus, etc. Silicon Dust has a specific sub-forum for ATSC3.0. ATSC 3.0 Forum - Silicondust

I am a user of SageTV and SageTV should be possible to record shows using this tuner. Playing back the content is another issue but you may be able to use devices like a Nvidia Shield or other AndroidTV devices to run the AmdroidTV version of the SageTV miniclient. Or a PC with a video card that is capable of playing back 4K connected to a 4K TV.

There appears to be at least one Detroit station broadcasting in ATSC 3.0 so Canadians in Southwestern Ontario should be able to pick it up. And apparently some of the Buffalo stations are now live so much of the golden horseshoe area should also be able to tune in the channels: ATSC 3.0 Buffalo NY Feed Issue? - Silicondust

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
who wants to pay $35 a year for a DVR on top of what ya paid for the hardware?

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Compared to TiVo, it's a bargain. It's comparable in price to Plex and Schedules Direct, neither of which provide hardware. A significant portion of their fees go to guide information providers such as Tribune Media.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is there any updates on the ATSC 3.0? Has anyone in Canada tried so far? Is it possible to pick up more US channels from Canada that were not possible with the old technology?
I don't have the 3.0 capability but I know in my market (Detroit, MI), ATSC 3.0 is alive and most or all of the networks (and independents) are broadcasting in 3.0. To my knowledge, there aren't any more subchannels and they're still broadcasting in 1080i/720p.

Hardware hasn't caught up to the audio codecs for 3.0 yet, until they do and the set top boxes come down in price, I'm going to wait to buy one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just saw this short segment on WDIV 4 Detroit and I assume this is consumer speak for ATSC 3.0.
Yes, NextgenTV is what they named it.

Here in Canada it'll probably be named "We are not going to spend the money to upgrade our Transmitters".

Unfortunately. Some of us in border towns will be experiencing 3.0 way before others farther from the border. My local newscast CTV2 just got an HD camera recently! Canada is always late to the party.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts