Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Owners: DTV tuner abnormal PSIP data quality?

• Never have any problems

Votes: 44 42.3%
  • Occasional problems with certain stations

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Frequent problems with certain stations

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Frequent problems with all stations

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
881 - 888 of 888 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Different OTA channels on two TVs

I have two tvs in my house. An LG and an old Vizio. Both are hooked up to the same rooftop rotating antenna, there is an amp attached to the antenna and a power supply inside the house. The Vizio will pull in CBS and PBS while the LG won't. I have checked everything, every cable, every connection. No luck. Any suggestions as to why this happens. My husband was not happy watching the superbowl on the 19 inch VIZIO. Could this just be the tuner in the LG? I thought they were supposed to have good tuners for OTA. Thoughts?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi renaissance, how old are those TVs, and do they have signal strength meters or other such displays in their menus? Is there much difference in the length of coax cable feeding them from that amp? Finally is it possible to try each TV at the other one's location or at least try the 19" from the LG's location to compare?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If you can dig up the model number of the LG TV (on the rear label), we may be able to dig up a service manual for it.If nothing else, by looking in the service manual we can tell exactly what tuner/demod chip is in that LG TV.

For comparison, my LG TV here, a model 42LH40 from 2009, has an lgdt3305 demod in it, and it works really well in my system. Same demod that is used in a hauppauge aero-m USB tuner for PC's.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
All ATSC Tuners are NOT Created Equal...they can not only have different SENSITIVITY, but also resistance to Strong Signal "OVERLOAD" (Intermod Distortion created in Preamp actually De-sensitizes weaker Channels) and resistance to strong ADJACENT CHANNEL Interference....so it would help if you posted your TVFool Results URL (Address at top of your Browser after entering Location and doing a Run).

You should follow Stampeder's Advice to SWAP one or both DTV's.....you STILL might have some sort of Cable (or more likely) CONNECTOR problem...or a problem in the RF Splitter....could swap port connections....

·
Registered
1 Posts
New TV - Receive Less DT/OTA Channels !

Hello; I purchased a NEW Samsung/Smart TV: UN50RU7100FXZC to replace OLD Samsung/Smart UN46D6050TFXZC . I'm using an outdoor-roof mounted 6-panel, HD-DTV/OTA aerial/antenna [3-panels aimed at Toronto & 3 aimed at Buffalo]. Co-axial cable connection direct from antenna to ANT-IN on TV, c/w NO pass-thru intermediate devices pre TV.

Setup the NEW TV, downloaded S/W updates. Scanned the NEW TV for channels. Receive'd ONLY 17 channels ! I lost all the national TV stations e.g. ABC, CBS, NBC

The OLD TV had received 30+ channels !!!

So, I reconnected the OLD TV. Received ALL 30+ channels. Re-scanned this OLD TV channel app to test app and the OLD TV then went to 17 channels also !

What happened ?

Did my antenna break-down at the exact same moment as I setup the NEW TV ? Is this possibly a Samsung/Smart BLOCKING maneuver ? Any explanations or fixes ? Or is the antenna broken. So, do I need a new antenna and will this fix the lost channels ?

Thanx Gents, Steve

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
if you plugged in your old TV and received the same old stations you used to, before the new TV, then obviously your antenna isn't broken.
Not sure what you mean by this "Re-scanned this OLD TV channel app to test app and the OLD TV then went to 17 channels also !"
For kicks, if your TV is connected to the internet, disconnect ethernet cable, and reboot the TV, then try re-scanning for OTA channels again while the ethernet cable is disconnected and not on the internet at all.

I think this is your user manual, have you read it thoroughly?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201909/20190919132100565/MUSATSCR-4.0.0_EM_MUSE_USA_ENG-US_190731.0.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hello; I purchased a NEW Samsung/Smart TV: UN50RU7100FXZC to replace OLD Samsung/Smart UN46D6050TFXZC . I'm using an outdoor-roof mounted 6-panel, HD-DTV/OTA aerial/antenna [3-panels aimed at Toronto & 3 aimed at Buffalo]. Co-axial cable connection direct from antenna to ANT-IN on TV, c/w NO pass-thru intermediate devices pre TV.
Hello, Steve; welcome to the forum.

You say there are no intermediate devices, but how are you combining the two 3-panel arrays?
Setup the NEW TV, downloaded S/W updates. Scanned the NEW TV for channels. Receive'd ONLY 17 channels ! I lost all the national TV stations e.g. ABC, CBS, NBC

The OLD TV had received 30+ channels !!!

So, I reconnected the OLD TV. Received ALL 30+ channels. Re-scanned this OLD TV channel app to test app and the OLD TV then went to 17 channels also !

What happened ?
I think what happened is that you used an app that is location specific to scan; you should use the channel scan that is already in the menu to scan.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201909/20190919132100565/MUSATSCR-4.0.0_EM_MUSE_USA_ENG-US_190731.0.pdf?CID=afl-ecomm-cjn-cha-092118-53014&cjevent=9d42336c19c411ea81d005780a240613&utm_source=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&adcontent=6147531
page 93

page 94

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Did my antenna break-down at the exact same moment as I setup the NEW TV ?
I doubt it.
Is this possibly a Samsung/Smart BLOCKING maneuver ?
Probably not.
Any explanations or fixes ? Or is the antenna broken. So, do I need a new antenna and will this fix the lost channels?
This is a signal report from rabbitears.info:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=33553

This image is an extract from that report:

There is a considerable difference in strength between the Toronto channels and the Buffalo channels; about 40 dB. A preamp would help the Buffalo channels, but it and your tuner would be overloaded by the Toronto channels. Two separate antenna systems would probably improve reception, but you might not want to do that. If you have the two 3-panel arrays combined with a splitter in reverse, there will be interference from the same channels from each antenna. The Buffalo channels have terrain interference for the signals and changes in the weather will affect them to a greater extent than the Toronto channels. I doubt that the Buffalo channels will ever be 100% reliable with your present antenna system.

This is the terrain profile for WGRZ that you will see if you click on Transmitter Distance in your rabbitears.info report:

This is another terrain profile for WGRZ using different software:

Can you show us a photo of your 6-panel antenna? Three-panel antennas are unusual.

881 - 888 of 888 Posts